Zip up your tri suit or be disqualified

I did a tri this weekend and as I came out of transition one of the marshals/referee told me I had to zip up my tri suit to the top or I would be disqualified! I only had it unzipped by a couple of inches. After the race I was speaking to other competitors who had the same thing shouted at them. Even a woman who had a crop top under her suit!

Is there such a rule?

Seems ridiculous when it was 20 degrees and they didn't even have a water stop on the run of a very hilly Olympic tri. You see the pros on the ITU circuit with their tops zipped down.

Comments

• The pros use suits with the zip up the back
  • Good point. Maybe that's why! It may only be in long course where you can lower your zipper! image

• they did change the rules a few years ago didn't they to tighten up the nudity rules.hence why the pros had them change to the back.......

i do think that if you are not leading the race and its a hot day.then its a bit of a jobsworth to enforce it.....but as long as they did it for all then i wouldn't be bothered......

if you were a woman you wouldn't be able to take your top off or show your chest so i see it as making the race even image

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

It's been like this for a good while.  It's not a new reg as Seren says.

No using phones in transition either, the reaction of athletes always amuses me when they get told off for that.

• I didn't get told off for it during the Keswick Triathlon yesterday, and I'm a fat ugly git who would easily outrage public decency. Did initially zip it back up when approaching marshals, but gave up when I got too warm to consider it.

• I think if you enter a race then you agree to stick to the rules, however odd they may seem.

I'm sure FB will add his "officals view"

• I think it depends on the event. I know if it's a European or Worlds qualifier - the rules will be more strictly enforced.

If its an event catering more for novices then I doubt they will DQ people for it ?
  • If they are the race rules then they need to be enforced otherwise why have them?  I do think smaller races are where you should do your learning about the rules and regulations but at the larger qualifiers then it should be strictly enforced - fair being fair for everyone.

If you are warned about your tri suit zip on your way to the finish and chose to ignore it then you are ignoring an official.  The majority of TOs do race and are there giving up time for very little, probably travelling a hundred plus.  Branding them 'trumped up jobsworths' is rather unfair. If you don't like the rules don't race where those rules apply.

Interestingly it does not apply in IM branded races so you can have your zip down all the way and no one is bothered.

Runner, swimmer, cyclist and triathlete

Devoid of a competitive streak :)

Who cares, I'm in it for the medal!

• Interesting debate. Yes the rule about zipping up has been in existence for quite a while now, I don't thinkyou can even buy a tri suit with a front zip now. However I've not seen anything saying a woman can't wear a crop top - FB is there such a rule? I've raced often wearing one.

• there is a ruling on crop tps for men and women I believe..there is only so many inches you can leave between top and bottom clothing 

• seren nos wrote (see)

there is a ruling on crop tps for men and women I believe..there is only so many inches you can leave between top and bottom clothing 

Men shouldn't wear crop tops.  That should be the rule.   Or those little skimpy trunks.

• well... .the majority of men shouldn't .thats for sure.same as the majority of women shouldn'timage

the rule should be that no one evcer wears white trishorts on the bike

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    kittenkat wrote (see)

Race Officials also get paid for doing it and they get travel expenses, so they're not giving up their time for very little. Yes it's very good of them because without people doing these jobs, the races wouldn't happen.

getting paid is a bit of a misnomer - we can charge the organiser for our services (there is a published schedule of fees from Tri England) but how many pay is a different thing (still waiting for payment from one in early May).   we can charge for travel expenses (mileage) BUT only if we travel further than 100 miles in a round trip - and then only charge for the miles over 100.    these "expenses" do not cover our true costs (time, vehicle mileage depreciation etc).

• Not all race officials get paid! Sometimes they are there on a voluntary basis, or cos they are shadowing.......

I am fairly sure that travel expenses are only paid AFTER 100miles......

http://www.triathlonengland.org/england/documents/volunteering/officials/officiating-forms/official_s_expenses_2012.pdf )

It is a difficult job..a lot of athletes do not see a difference between a marshall or a race official, and they are working solidly from before the race starts until after it ends....

back to the OP

here's the relevant rule:

"22.5 Competitors must be adequately clothed at all times, the minimum  being a one- or two- piece non-transparent  swimsuit,  together with a cycling  or running top, if appropriate, with a gap no greater than 10cm (4”).  All competitors must ensure their upper body (especially the chest area) is clothed during the cycling and running sections of the event. Front fastening tops and trisuits must be fully fastened at all times"

how much clearer do you want me to make it??  that rule was introduced in 2012 so it's not exactly new, but it is poorly understood by athletes, and often poorly enforced by race officials.

we have a simple philosophy on this - common sense. whilst an athlete is out on the course and not in view of us they can do what they like with the zip - but when coming through transition on either laps or for the finish - they will be told to zip up. if it's very hot day, we will also make some allowances.

we have a job to do as race officials - much like the referees in other sports - why should we not enforce the rules? that's what we are there for

there is also another pertinent rule:

"21.4 Competitors must take responsibility for knowing the technical and competition rules and abiding by them."

in other words, ignorance of the rules is no excuse if penalised.  but again, common sense prevails - for complete newbies we make allowances and words can have more effect than a 2 min penalty for something they know sweet FA about. for experienced triathletes and those at the pointy end - you won't get these allowances.

rear zipped kit as used by elites, pros and those racing ETU or ITU events (GB age groupers) is the way forward as having the rear zip undone is allowed - just not the front.

if you don't like the zip rule - don't race a BTF sanctioned event as us officials are there to enforce the rules.   or buy kit with a rear zip.   or race WTC only events as they do not apply the same rule

does that help??

black hat wrote (see)

Not all race officials get paid! Sometimes they are there on a voluntary basis, or cos they are shadowing.......

I am fairly sure that travel expenses are only paid AFTER 100miles......

http://www.triathlonengland.org/england/documents/volunteering/officials/officiating-forms/official_s_expenses_2012.pdf )

It is a difficult job..a lot of athletes do not see a difference between a marshall or a race official, and they are working solidly from before the race starts until after it ends....

black hat - thank you very much for that.  you made some very pertinent points there.  are you a race official?  it sounds like it!

• Bala the other week threw up a new one...

I've been used to the MP3, Phone or music player ban, But I have never seen anyone asked to remove a "Go-Pro" from their handlebars before

(Me I like to carry as little additional weight as possible)

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

SLAW - did you officiate at Bala?  Meldy said you were there in some capacity.  I may have spoken to you at the end of you were the race official.

Another thumbs up for the officials and the NEG riders.  They really don't get paid very much for their time.  I'm quite friendly with an NEG/Official (he does both NEG and race official duties) and he tells me that NEGs are having real issues now with how they are insured.  I think British Cycling won't insure them any more, or something.

I also think, however we add it up or discuss it here, the officials do use common sense exactly as SLAW/FB describe.  At the smaller/novice based events they are likely to be trying to get athletes to understand the rules and ensure that everybody has a safe and fun race as much as dishing out the penalties.  It's at the larger events that the rules are more likely to be more strictly applied.  The exception I tend to see is littering.  I don't care what race you're at, nobody wants to see piles of gel wrappers all over the course and the officials will remind you of that.

FB - I think it's disgusting that races aren't paying you if they have agreed to do so.  That should be taken up by BTF with a refusal to license future races or a refusal to provide officials.

I've heard of the Go-Pro ban but never had that issue at races we've done - but we do get a few trying to head out on the run with headphones. I had to check a guy the other week as he was putting his smart phone onto his arm band - it was so he record his Strava data and he had no headphones so I let him get on with it.

re: the Go-Pro ban - probably more to do with a safety issue. this is from the technical rules about bikes 

"Rule 11.1.j. add-ons, such as computer or lighting brackets and mounting points, must be positioned so as to prevent injury in the event of a crash or collision with other competitors or spectators"

"such as" is the key here - it's not restricted to those mentioned

• fat buddha wrote (see)
    black hat - thank you very much for that.  you made some very pertinent points there.  are you a race official?  it sounds like it!

I might beimage And i may or may not be getting paid for Windsor at the weekend....

"FB - I think it's disgusting that races aren't paying you if they have agreed to do so.  That should be taken up by BTF with a refusal to license future races or a refusal to provide officials."

s'ok with this organiser - I'll chase his arse down as we know each other well... image

as for NEG riders - yes, there are insurance issues at the mo with British Cycling but it refers to BC no longer providing cover for NEG riders at non-competitive events like sportives.  

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

I'll let your organiser off then.  I was most indignant on your behalf.  image

I knew there was something with NEGs but wasn't sure what.

• Go Pro ban is probably very sensible. You dont want people riding along getting distracted and checking that its on and recording whilst people are racing. No distractions.
  • Loads of vids on youtube of footage shot from IM races now on GoPro's stuck to handlebars.

Flat Footed wrote (see)

Loads of vids on youtube of footage shot from IM races now on GoPro's stuck to handlebars.

WTC operate their own rules - and as GoPro are one of the headline sponsors of IM I think banning their use in IM races may not go down so well with GoPro!!  image

cougie wrote (see)
    Go Pro ban is probably very sensible. You dont want people riding along getting distracted and checking that its on and recording whilst people are racing. No distractions.

cougs - you could say the same about Garmins - often being fiddled with so distracting riders.   it's where and how you draw the lines for rules enforcement that new tech is playing havoc with.  ban Garmins as well maybe??   as if....image

• Good point. I'd say have the Garmins on - but no fiddling allowed. Kind of like driving. You need a hands free kit. image