Training wheels suggestions circa. £250/set

AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭

As the title suggests, anyone got any recommendations for a set of training wheels?

Comments

• Sometimes you can pick up prolite braccianos at this price on offer, cracking training wheels.

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

I've got a set of Fulcrum Quattro CX - they seem tough and have some good reviews, if I had to pick fault I'd say a touch harsh, have better sealed bearings (as they are meant for cyclocross) which hopefully will help them last in poor weather.    

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    I've got Campag Zonda, you'll pick a set up for 250. They're tough, pretty light and are still fine after 2 years although can be a bit harsh too. Be interesting to know how they differ from their Fulcrum cousins.
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

get some Mavic CXP33 or CXP22 rims built up (don't usually come as built wheels) - they are pretty bullet proof and not too badly priced. we've used them as our training wheels for nigh on 10 years.  the only failures we've had (bar puncture and tyre wear) are failed hub flanges (where the spokes connect) due to age - the rims are still in top notch nick.

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Merlin are doing Ksyrium Equipes at about £265 right now - there have been problems with them corroding round the spoke holes (mine did but I know a guy who runs a shop and he's had several in with the same problem) so whether you'd risk them as winter wheels I don't know.   For a set of summer training wheels they are pretty good for that money though - around 1500gs I think and mine felt like they rolled well as far as you can tell these things.   

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

pops - our Campag hub flanges had corroded around the spoke holes and failed after many years winter and summer riding. you could see the corrosion on the broken bits. to overcome this, the LBS fitted Shimano MTB hubs as MTB hubs are usually more corrosion resistant - they work fine in practice

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Actually those Equipes are close to 1700gs - thought 1500 was light!

• Prolite Bracciatos are great wheels for the price very strong for a light wheel

• AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭

it's looking like I'm needing new race wheels instead now so can't afford too much.

i'm thinking Shimano RS81 C35

for £450 seem ok?

Any comments?