Sub 3h15

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Abbers - similar starts to teh season then, hope it stays dry from now on in, teh colts seasons are done by August but luckily there's still adult matches for another month.

Badbark - like I said before its a real shame that you didnt get the ROI you deserved, but theres way too much information in that report !!!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Photo of Charleston Girl please Mr Poacher.

Impressive 5000 Jools. Flying!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Poacher, I listened to an episode of talk ultra from a couple of weeks ago and there was mention of a lady attempting 10 Comrades in 10 days (in a Brathay stylee) - do you fancy that for next year? image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Jools - great 5000m debut - well done on going sub 19.
    Abbers - nice lunchtime running as usual. Only virtual alarm calls for me.
    Mennania - Oh no! Hope calfs improve soon.
    PMJ - good work. Super fast mile on the horizon, I feel.
    Poacher - sounds like Charleston girl can move then.
    Guess how many miles today? Yes, 3 again! Last day in London till VLM 2015, I hopeimage

• Quick GPS question. I can currently buy a Forerunner 220 for £149.59 (website says RRP is £220 and they have it at £176 and I have a 15% discount code). Anyone got views on this, anyone use one? As far as I can see it is like the 620 but no wifi or cadence an I can live without those.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Careful with those calfs Menn.

Nice quick reps there PMJ. I have no experience of the 220, I have the more basic 110. Wouldn't have thought you can go too far wrong given the price reduction & discount code though?

Poacher, good news that Charleston Girl's training is paying dividends for her.

TR - think it's the case across the HCL. I see one team has only managed a single game so far out of the 6 scheduled! We have some availability issues this week too, so will be annoyed if we field a weak team on a rare sunny Saturday. Hope the juniors are enjoying the games they're able to get in. That's what it's all about after all.

Gul - do you ever have a lie in until, oh I don't know, about 5:30? image

Thursday tempo run for me, and stepped up to 1-4-1. Deliberately ran the 4 a little slower to make sure I finished them, and aimed at 7m/m. Pleased to get round in 27:29, so just over 6:52m/m pace, or 90 min HM.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Badbark, heal well! I don't understand why bleeding hemorrhoids aren't a massive septicemia risk - open wound + poo..?

Nothing to report here. Big family gathering at the weekend included a Spaniard who said 'I have a lot of snot behind my ears', meaning a stinking cold, which I have now got.  And I might do a half iron-man at end of the month.

• "there's way too much information in that report."

Don't listen to him, Badbark.  You know what they say about the devil being in the detail.  I loved every blood-soaked inch of it.  Perhaps we should conduct a poll?

Meantime, while you all consider whether or not future race reports should feature a broad selection of walnuts, here's another pointless and unanswerable question for you to ponder...

In attempting to ascertain what pace I should aim for in Sunday's half, I foolishly went out this morning and ran a so-called 'progressive' 5 miles.  It hurt, it felt horrible and at the end I had to lie down on the pavement to recover.  Yet the average pace was just a measly 7.32mm.

Anyway (and here comes the pointless and unanswerable bit), with no recent races of note, what pace do I strive for in the half marathon?  8mm gets 1:45, which would only be mildly embarrassing.  However, even that seemed a hopelessly optimistic target when I was lying on the pavement this morning.

In other news, with her post above, Marrows subtly reminds us all that if 'Bleeding Hemorrhoids' wasn't the name of a punk band, then perhaps it should have been.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

At least he didn't have a walnut behind his ear.

Chin up TAR, the training run will have made you fitter, go for 1.40-ish?

SJ - three runners attempted to do Jo'burg to Durban, i.e. 9 days of 87km followed by Comrades on the last day. One of them actually completed it.  Are you volunteering for next year? The damage it would do to the body is unthinkable

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PMJ - sorry, no experience of GPS watches at all.
    Abbers - nice tempo run. Most Sundays I have a lie-in till about 7am - but not this weekend image
    TAR - I'd go for mildly embarrassing. Got to admire how you keep your sense of humour.
    6 steady miles this morning - might break into double figures tomorrow.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

TAR - I would go for a progressive with reviews every 3 miles or so to check how you feel, Start off at 1.45 pace and then ramp it up as you go if all feels well.

Hilly 8 for me last night on my new adios 2s- felt good, no dramas.

PMJ - a lady on another thread has a 620 and loves the info. I am not sure if knowing my vertical oscillation is actually going to change anything. I am in the market for a new watch as It currently has a donor strap held together with hair bands.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

No Poacher. Road miles don't seem to like me at the moment.

I have just entered this though:

http://www.wasdalex.co.uk 

Hmmmmmmm image

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

SJ: it's aw-inspiring rather than awe-inspiring, so I think they're only pretending it's tough.  Awww!image

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

make sure you let us know how you get on with it PMJ - would value your critique.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Ha Jools. I spotted that too. I hope their organisation skills are better than their spelling abilities image 

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Marrows - lovely translation, not so lovely to have caught the germs. Hope you're well soon. The 1/2 IM sounds like a good challenge. Is that something you have experience of?

TAR - Menn's suggestion seems sensible.

Gul - nicely done. What's happening this weekend then?

Menn - good run to break in the new shoes.

PMJ - sensible decision I would say. Have you tried it out yet?

SJ - ridiculous. Rather you than me, but best of luck with that!

Rest day for me.

• Abbers wrote (see)

PMJ - sensible decision I would say. Have you tried it out yet?

Sitting by the door waiting for post ...

7.5 miles at 7.5 pace today, uni visit tomorrow for daughter #3, slowly getting them all through al the parent duties: once we have all 4 in jobs, married and in homes of heir own I can concentrate on this running lark.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

SJ - what an absolute beast.  Althiough you could make the end of the mara harder by coming off Scafell Pike via Mickledore or traversing to Scafell up Lords Rake (environmental and safety considerations aside).

Looking forward to your race report....

8m d&d on the dreadie image 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Got back last night from my 6 days in Eire and I am sick as I have been for quite some time. Caught the man flu on Monday, it ruined my holiday and it's still bad. Did 40 miles last week for my biggest week since Feb and zero this week but hey it's only running and see it as a mere blip.

I just read back, well skimmed over & see Badbark had trouble in the 100k. Sorry to hear that BB, you worked so hard for that but hey you'll come back stronger I am sure of that.

Hope you all have a nice weekend, me, I am off to die somewhere. image

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the kind (and very amusing) words of encouragement everyone. You guys rock and have made me feel much better about the DNF.

AR – What about covering the Garmin completely and just running to feel? Then you can look back on your performance later. You might surprise yourself.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

I might add that as an extra loop just for a laugh Poacher.

Glad to hear you are mentally ok Badbark. How is the other end? Are you still sat on a doughnut shaped cushion?

Get well soon GM. 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Minni, how is your recovery going?

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Oh that's just great!  Badbark is mentally sound while I have been scarred for life with horrific tales of bleeding arseholes.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Mennania - hilly 8 sounds promising.
    SJ - sounds totally insane - good luck.
    Abbers - hope you enjoyed the rest day. Saturdays are usually my longest run of the week day, which always start early, and this Sunday I'll be up early to prepare for preaching later in the morning.
    PMJ - you might be too busy baby-sitting the grandchildren by then!
    Poacher - dreadfull.
    GM - sorry to hear you're holiday was ruined - get well soon.
    12 slow miles this morning to finish super cut-back week. 15 weeks to Maybe-able-thorpe.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

You finished 12 slow miles by 6:30am Gul- still doing the early shift I see?

TAR- Did you actually had a lie down on the pavement- how odd? Maybe the race itself will lift you above where you think you are. If you are running well below your best, then time probably isn't going to be great in any case, so I wouldn't worry about being sensible.

Amsterdam for me all week. Trained reasonably well but gained a few pounds as usual. Let's see how the parkrun turns out. 

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Gul - "15 weeks to Maybe-able-Thorpe" . So it is !

20 this morning, in case I decide Mable is able, but didn't set off (6:45) until after Gul home and hosed  . . .

• Birch - with your casual 20, you are really scaring me.  It's 17 weeks until Abingdon and the furthest I've run is 12.  And that was an accident after I lost my way in the local pinewoods. 

Yes, it was a rather melodramatic lie-down, OO.  But it seemed my only option at the time.

That looks quite an undertaking, Slokey Joe.  But I thought your body was falling apart?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I must be getting greedy, as I feel rather disappointed with 18:11 and 4th at the parkrun today. Conditions were perfect and I had a fast start, leading for a bit (which never happens), but tired in the last mile and settled into a comfortable finish.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - Goes to show you how hungry you are for these fast times. Still a very good time. Well done!

Gul - Nice to see you are back to doing what you do best..... running lots of miles before every other sane person wakes up and thinks about heading out for a run or turning over for another hour's sleep!image

Birch - Bread and butter to you, these long runs.

TAR - I am in the same boat as you. Longest run I have done is 10 miles and my marathon is the same date as "Maybe-able-Thorpe". Was planning a long one this weekend (anything over 10 is long for me) until I caught a nasty virus.

Succumbed to the illness today and went to the quack and she said it was a bad chest infection and gave me some antibiotics to help clear up the gunk. Je$u$, I spent virtually the whole night coughing my guts up. Horrible, but one positive is my HR colleague said that I may be able to reclaim my holidays back if I was ill and the doc back dated my cert so hopefully that will work.image

Hopefully I will be able to commence marathon training next week.