Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Don't worry TAR, that's a nice base camp- you'll need your fighting qualities.

I'm laid up with manflu- pathetic

Best wishes to our new V45 members- Congrats. Minni! 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

I'm sure that you ran like a gazelle TAR. image What's the target for Southport?

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

New bike has arrived - a couple of hours assembly (due to my lack of any practical skills) and a quick test ride to confirm that it is terrifyingly mental. I think I'll be up early to give it another spin out tomorrow before work!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SJ - Is that the P? Cervelho one that you posted a while back?

TAR - Well done on completing your half in what I'd say was challenging conditions.

OO - Heeling vibes coming your way!

Abbers -  Hope your niggle is nothing serious.

Haven't had a chance to read back properly but thanks for all the get well wishes guys. I seemed to have turned a corner health wise and last night stopped coughing at 3am, so got some sleep. Can now walk 10 metres without the need to lie down. May even go for a jog on Wednesday but will be taking it easy for another few more days or so.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Abbers - sorry to hear about the quad - sounds like you're being sensible.
    Badbark - sounds like you have plenty to focus on already!
    SJ - Hope you're out enjoying the new bike already.
    Leslie - steady as she goes.
    TAR - well done - 2pm is a strange time to start a race in the summer. No stopping you now!
    OO - get well soon.
    GM - glad to hear you're slowly on the mend.
    14 plodtastic miles d&d - or rather lots of super-plodtastic miles and a few steady miles to finish.

• I have returned, bronzed, tanned and a bit fatter, from deepest Cornwall.

BB, just ouch! And indeed, yuk! Heal strong, as they say.

OO, GM, Abbers, recover quickly.

TAR, s'not so very awful, you know image

Everyone else, jolly good, carry on!

Me? sore throat, feel a bit off; last couple of sessions have been poor, but I'm not sure if that's the heat, the lurgy or both.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Benched/lurgy folk, come on, claw your ways back to full fitness! My cold is just coughing and sniffing now: OK for me but annoying for my office-mates image

SlokeyJoe- you got the Cervelo? congratulations. Wife came round to the idea in the end?

Onwards and upwards TAR! I enjoyed the report.

Not-exactly-gym-fails: I stopped at traffic lights next to a guy who was.. well.. I'd like to think he was checking his bike's headset, but there was no need to do it for so long, or while sitting on the top tube.  Speaker strapped to his chest playing music.

I found out some time last week that I have a place for a 70.3 this weekend. Very exciting.  I have not trained for it specifically but bike legs feel good, run legs OK-so-so, swimming feeble but comfortable as usual.  Any advice? I've done marathons, Olympic distance triathlons, and 100+ mile bike rides, but never a 70.3.  I'm not sure how to pace it or what and when to eat/drink while racing.

Also raced a mile on Sunday! it was over very quickly (subjectively), but not quite quickly enough (objectively, 5:46).  The other waves were good to watch, especially the elites and the 'family mile' where babies got their own number and timing chip but could be carried, so we saw some very red papoosed dads.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

TAR - if that was your longest run in 2 years, then good on you for getting it done and the time is immaterial. You know you'll be faster when fitter. A good foundation to move on from.

OO - look after those bugs!

SJ - the bike sounds like fun! Scary, but fun. Must invest in a road bike myself one of these days.

GM - good news that you seem to be on the mend.

Gul - back to churning out the miles again. Good stuff.

Crash - sounds like a lovely holiday. You now need a rest to recover from it!

Thanks for the healing vibes ref. my quad. Trying to be sensible about it as I really want to be fit enough to play next weekend, so not going to do anything silly. More ice last night, more rest days, and I feel fine when walking now, so it is mending. Just a matter of how long it takes. Will try an easy run on Thursday. Learnt my lesson with such strains a couple of seasons ago when I tweaked a groin but played through it and took several weeks to get right again. Would rather not repeat that!

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

X-post. Marrows, no experience of tris, but you sound like you have enough know how to do yourself justice in all 3 disciplines. Forecast could be favourable too, as not as warm as recently. Good pace on your mile.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Marrows - Never done any tri events but am thinking of them but maybe in about two years or so. That's a decent mile time there! I've never raced one but want to soon.

Abbers - Great show of patience. I am struggling to contain myself today as I feel normal again. May risk a 3 miler tonight......image

CH - I've never been to Cornwall but it looks and sounds nice.

Gul - Nice casual 12 miler with a few quicker ones thrown in.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Yes, it's the P3 and the wife seems quite impressed with it.  That won't last when I disappear for half the day on Saturday!

Marrows, for your first 70.3 I'd swim easy, bike steady and start the run steady (maybe 30-60s per mile slower than a normal half) at least for the first 3 miles and then adjust from there depending on how you are feeling.

My approach to food is to have a decent breakfast 3hrs before start time, which can mean a 3am breakfast..., leave it at least 20 mins into the bike before taking on food and I alternate every 20mins between malt loaf, clif bar, gel and wash everything down with slightly over diluted high 5 energy source. Being a 70.3 you might be able to tolerate just gels.  I squeeze my gels out into a plastic bottle and carry in a bottle cage (slightly watered down) and just guess the equivalent amount, say, a decent mouthful out of the bottle equals a gel. Saves faffing with gel wrappers when trying to ride at the same time.

if you take solid food, then finish it a good 30min plus before the end of the ride so your stomach will feel better on the run and then take gels when you can when on foot and COKE! It is amazing stuff.

orher tips:

practice in open water

spend time getting used to the water temp before race start 

take a quiet line on the swim - it's no fun being battered on your first outing

find some feet and draft shamelessly - saves lots of energy 

take it steady in transition - it's a long day - keep your heart rate down 

make sure you drink enough on the bike

pee on the bike

practice running off the bike beforehand and expect to feel rubbish for at least the first mile

steady, steady, steady - variability in effort will cost you a lot of time - build slowly and carefully through the day

enjoy it

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Thanks for that SJ.  How do you do carry all that? I have two bottle cages on my bike, so I could fill my two bottles up with something concentrated and sugary and supplement with water bottles from water stations - good idea?

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

I have one 750ml bottle with high 5 and a 500ml bottle containing the gels and a splash of water. Food in back pockets of cycling top.  Discard empty bottle and take more high 5 at aid stations (something else you should practice - taking a full bottle from someone's hand whilst passing them at a reasonable speed on the bike). I have a gel in my T2 bag and stick that in the race belt as I set off on the run but rely on the aid stations for drinks and further gels. 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

If all your fluid is too sweet you'll get dehydrated and squiffy pretty quickly!

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

SJ  Do you carry a bag of nice tasty walnuts for sustenance too?

TAR - nice one, you did it, and thats what counts

Today's gymfail was me - got back to the hotel and immediately fell asleep under the influence of mind-alteringly powerful decongestant drugs. Not good

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Marrows - .....take it with a pinch of salt but this is what I do.....Survive the swim, ride it like i stole it and then throw whats left at the run................you should exit the swim feeling like you could have done it again, as a runner I cant yet dig myself into a hole aerobically on the bike to ruin the run, so the run just feels like the 2nd 1/2 of a marathon on tired legs. Take it easy on your legs for the first 10mins off the bike and they will start to come right.............I have two bottles on my bike (one luco, one water - dont collect anymore en route), a couple of flap jacks and a few gels on the bike (something every 30mins) and then a couple of gels on the run. Pee on the bike to save time too (you might have to free wheel to do this though). I syill havnt mastered peeing whilst I pedal or run..........and most importantly enjoy yourself, its much better fun than running races.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Lovely 5k run tonight along the coast and then back along the beach. Wanted to take it easy and hit 8mm exactly and then met the wife and kid on the beach at a Thai shack and devoured some Garlic chilli chicken, washed down with a bottle of white wine. Kids had to be dragged out of the water at 9pm! Legs felt weird after 8 days of no running but it felt very good and didn't even break a sweat with the air temperature at 23c.image

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

SlokeyJoe, thanks for the advice on PF stretching. I have done a variation on that stretch (yes, can still reach my foot!). It almost seems that too much stretching might be aggravating things a bit (which is a bit paradoxical to me). After a tweaky couple days, no pain today and got a nice 7.5 m run in (also no pain during or after). Fizz tomorrow though for a better understanding of what is going on. I'm hopeful though that things are maybe turning the corner.

Like a few of you, caught a random (stomach) bug and the past few runs have been challenging for reasons not worth expanding on.image But feeling better now.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Marrows- forgive my ignorance, where does the name 70.3 actually come from?

I'm feeling much better today and ran lunchtime and evening, nice steady pace, 11 miles total. Catch up mode...

Fortunately no rum tum thank goodness- good luck with that VT

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

CH - welcome back.
    marrows - speedy mile - good luck with the 70.3, whatever that might be exactly!
    Abbers - very sensible.
    Poacher - shocking.
    GM - are you sure you're not in the Caribbean or somewhere slightly more exotic than Jersey?
    VTr - good luck with the fizz today.
    OO - pleased to hear you're back out running.
    4.5 mile recovery run d&d.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

OO, it just refers to the distance: 1.2mile swim + 56mile bike + 13.1mile run = 70.3miles (or half Ironman)

Poacher, I carry my nuts everywhere with me.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Thanks SJ, one day perhaps...

Scorcher in Geneva today- lunchtime run could be melt down...

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

30minx2 brick session last night followed by my usual 1hr loop on the bike this morning but in record time image (Those 2 minutes make all the difference)

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul - Hah, you could well be when the sun shines. The past two weeks or so have been very warm but feels even warmer as the usual SW prevailing wind has been missing. It's due to change tomorrow. image We are very fortunate that our place is approx 5 metres from the beach and it's very convenient for letting children burn off some energy and the parents get to chill, soak up the sunshine and the wine!image

SJ - Sounds like you're enjoying your new wheels.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

SJ you are turning into a super hard tri warrior type. Scary

Ditto Marrows, good luck with that, just a training recce for the full IM

Is this a gym fail?  Woman on treadie raised to 15% incline, holding onto the bar and leaning backwards a long way, while walking uphill at 3kph. Anyone know any rhyme or reason for this?

8k D&D on treadie, got briefly up to 17kph, that'll teach Charleston Girl to slack at 11kph. Ha!

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

GM, VTR, OO-51, Gul & Poacher all getting miles in the bank. Good to see some recent benchees getting back to it.

SJ - I'm assuming you're enjoying the new bike then? image

No clue on the bizarre treadmill antics Poacher, but they're keeping us all amused! Maybe there's a local underground sect who read this forum and make it their goal to come up with new and strange ways to use a treadmill, just so you'll report it and they can see their work broadcast on the internet... there must be easier ways though.

Still nothing to report here, just more resting an icing. Hopefully a test jog tomorrow by way of a fitness test ahead of the weekend.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

GM, Abbers, yes the bike is great fun but needs a couple of tweaks to the set up to get it super comfy. It looks sexy though and that is more important. image The plan is to get about 10hrs of riding in this week. The seat is well padded thankfully.

Poacher, we are all warriors! What on Earth is going on in that gym??

• What ho!

Marrows, I'd just add 'pee just before you get out of the swim' to the list of HIM advice... and also 'if you start on coke, keep going on coke', otherwise you'll probably have a sugar crash and feel dreadful.

Otherwise love and hugs all round; I'm really not supposed to be here...

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

I wondered why the water gets warmer towards the end of the swim Crash. I thought it was because I was working harder. 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Another 3 miler tonight for me in the sunshine. Wanted to try run a little quicker tonight but not push it too much. Average pace 6:56mm and it felt comfortable. Think the rest did me good.

SJ - 10 hrs on the bike in a week. What does that comprise of in terms of mileage? Sounds like a lot of cycling to me but then I know nothing about cycling.

Poacher - Keep 'em coming, those gym fail tales.image Nice pace there for your 8k.

Question for the wise ones on the thread. Does anyone run to HR as opposed to pace? Bumped into a friend of mine today who I haven't seen for a while and he recently ran Liverpool marathon for the 1st time using a HR monitor and did 2:49. His last 5 marathons have all been sub 3 but he said he never felt so comfortable before and actually felt great for the last 10k as opposed to having to hang on. Think he mentioned his average HR was 163.