Shoes for Severe Overpronators

Hi,

I have been running actively for six months, distances of 5 - 10k per week. I have a severe overpronation on both feet. I am currently using a pair of shoes from Saucony, though not sure of the exact model. I have been using them for 2 years and am looking to change my pair.

Looking at the existing options, the Asics Gel Kayano 20, Asics Gel Foundation 11 and Nike LunarEclipse 4 seem to fit the bill. However, I am not sure which to go for. I do not have a price preference, but would like my shoes to me light as I often carry them along with me and the less bulkier the better.

Would anyone here (who shares my concern for overpronation) be able to advise which I should go for, or if there are other shoes that might meet my (slightly fussy) requirements?

Feedback and advice much appreciated for this runner still new to gear and kit.

Comments

• See a chiropractor or something and find out why you are overpronating so badly. Fix the problem rather than finding ways to live with it. 

• Hi Philomena,

Thanks for your feedback.

I have had a very flat foot all my life, coupled with a foot structure that bulges slightly. Having seen several podiatrist several times in the past, there isn't much that can be done other than wearing the right kind of shoe with proper stability and arch support, which I believe the above named shoes provide.

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

I guess you don't live anywhere near the expertise you can get from a running shop...?

Edit... and do you have a problem with your current model?

• Hi,

Forgot to mention in my OP, both the Asics' were recommended to me by Runner's Need whilst I tried on the Nike on my own.

Essentially wanted to get some thoughts from those on this forum who might be in a similar position to myself and what they use.

• I'm an overpronator (Though not severe) and run in the Asics Gel Kayano 20 and I have to say they are an excellent shoe. Very comfortable, lightweight enough and so far quite durable.

As a note, after suffering from Plantar Fasciitis (Which i had before I bought the Asics), I recently replaced the insoles with footlogics sports orthotic insoles. They were only 25 quid off the shelf (well, from footlogics.co.uk) and have been marvellous for me so far. I mention them as on the box it says they are designed to correct over-pronation so may be worth a shout! 

• Thanks mattywarr, that was very helpful. I will look into the insoles if the shoes on their own don't do the trick...

• The kayano and lunar eclipse are what is described as stability shoes, designed to correct moderate over pronation. If you are looking for shoes to correct severe op, perhaps consider motion control models such as saucpny stability or asics foundation.
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Asics gt3000 are for more severe over pronators. 

• As has been mentioned previously, sort the problem if you can. I have also had issues and spent a lot of money visiting so called experts with varying degrees of success. I swear by Brooks Adrenaline GTS. They tend to get great reviews and always seem to pick up awards for best support shoe. I'd advise going for last years model GTS 13 as it tends to be around £25-45 cheaper than the current version. 

• Severe over pronation and running does not really go together. Heavier running shoes will make you even more sluggish. Heavy shoes for an over weight runner, also used by average/light weight runner with foot/ankle problems. The heavier shoes end up causing more problems than they solve.