Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I was recovering from manflu but then got slaughtered on Friday night (first visit to a night club for several years) getting in a 3:30am, about the same time Gul normally starts his morning run. I would have happily slept in but junior OO dragged me out for the parkrun. I paced her for the first mile then picked it up for the last two, finishing in 19:25. Junior was under a minute behind in a new PB of 20:15 and 1st lady.

Welcome back speedy- who needs a kitchen anyway?

16 plod miles today for a 45 mile week.  

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

00-51- you can get mashed roll in at 3:30 and still near equal my 5k time while cruising round ,impressive image

CC2-welcome back, nobody mention nuts again image

36 miles for me last week and just under 16 this morning, last 3 miles were a long climb image

• OK, I have to know, what page is the nuts thing on?

18 for me today with 6 at marathon pace effort. Given that I'm 3kg over race weight and only in week 2 of a 16 week schedule I was happy to get them all in under 7 min miling. 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Speedy - Very stressful business that, but you're obviously still running well. Great mile time!

Leslie - Nice mileage.

OO - I can relate to that 5k you did, I've done a few of them like that, you can get away with it over that distance, just, but the difference being, 19:25 for you with little sleep was probably comfortable but I would have felt like on the brink of death. Junior is getting close to that sub 20.

15 miles for me today at a later start than planned. My running pal bailed last night and Mrs G wanted to go water skiing and it coincided with the Jersey triathlon this morning. That meant I could only head out at 1pm and the sun came outimage, took it easy for the first half, avg 8:03mm  pace and second half was 7:45mm. Nice run and 6 miles were off road on a trail with 3 miles of a steady climb and then 3 downhill. That was my longest solo run for about 5 months and was relieved to finish it. Legs feel ok now and then had two hours of footie with my son afterwards who has footie fever. Think his endurance levels are higher than mine and he wanted to go running just now......I am on the wine now playing catch up with the world cup! Happy days!image

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

((Speedy)) kitchens are stressful, especially when they go wrong. We had a whole year with no cooker (ate lots of healthy salads though image)
    OO - nice work while under the influence
    GM - sounds lovely, not much flat ground on Jersey as far as I recall

10 today, first outdoor run since June 1st, felt odd but better than watching the gymfails mount up.

• I have nowhere to prepare a salad and ready made ones are ludicrously expensive. I'm mostly living on porridge, jam sandwiches, cereal and toast. I miss meat.

• Gothic - I'm here to help.  On page 1834, Badbark very generously tells you everything you could possibly wish to know about walnuts.  Some people might advise you not to read it while eating your jam sandwiches, but ignore them and just tuck right in. 

Does anybody here use the Garmin 210?  Any good?  I think PMJ bought the 220 recently.  How's that going?  Really, I just need somebody to do the decent thing and tell me what to buy, so that I don't have to read all those tedious and nerdy online reviews.  Thank you.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I carefully planned our new kitchen to coincide with weeks away in Geneva- just came home when it was finished image.

I used to waterski as a teenager GM, used to be great fun- have you got a boat?

I see Sweatshop has some discounted Garmin's. Worth a look.  

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - No boat here but could do with one as we are literally on the water and the dry dock is a heartbeat away. My wife tends to hang out with sailors, surfers and ski type people. My wife grew on an Island off the east coast of SA and is quite good at that sort of thing. It's funny really as they are really fit but when I mention running they all give me that look like you know, you are different! Each to their own I guess. The only water sport that gave me a similar buzz to to running was surfing but I can't be doing with the cold water here and the early mornings.

SG - Have you not got a bbq or some other cooking device that could satisfy your meat cravings? Or get someone else to do it??

Poacher - You're right in a sense but it depends what you're after. I can run from my door traffic free along the cycle path for about 5 miles but if you want to mix it up a bit then, the go to run is up the old railway trail path and then out along the cliff paths. Didn't make it that far today but that's a really nice run if you are doing about 18-22 miles. Hard though, but then if you want to run a fast marathon it's a prerequisite.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

"My wife tends to hang out with sailors"

Amazing......

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Joolska, were you supposed to know the way?

SpeedyGoth: eat tomatoes, whole.  Tesco are selling beautiful vine tomatoes on special offer round here, 100% extra free!

5:13 in the half-ironman today but I don't know what the splits were because I didn't realise I had to attach a timing chip to the neoprene/velcro strap before putting it round my ankle!  Ribena and gels did the trick: no bonk.  Thank you for telling me my legs would come back to me after a while - reassuring when I found myself waddling out onto the run course.

Once again, I found a discarded banana skin in a portaloo pre-race.  Why would you choose to eat your banana in this revolting place?

/members/images/473351/Gallery/DSC02872.JPG

Also, my adductors are trashed - why? It's not happened before.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SJ - image

Marrows - Well done. That sounds like a great time to me. Was that your first one? Re the banana, that's wrong no matter what way you look at it. I can't bear those loo's or any public form whatsoever. In and out and that's it.

• The Accidental Runner wrote (see)

Does anybody here use the Garmin 210?  Any good?  I think PMJ bought the 220 recently.  How's that going?  Really, I just need somebody to do the decent thing and tell me what to buy, so that I don't have to read all those tedious and nerdy online reviews.  Thank you.

The 220 is doing me well so far. I got it from sportsshoes.com and there is a 15% discount code valid until 1 July, SPFL15, so I got it for £149.59. My old 305 is on ebay at the moment and is up to £26 so that brings the upgrade to under £125.

The things that annoyed me about the 305 were the satellite start time in Hammersmith. At home it fires up well, but outside the office in London it was slow (over 5 minutes and the annoying "Are you indoors?"): the 220 is on in a few seconds as it gets cached data when you charge it. Also the fact that you had to have it on or off, and no standby, so if I was out for a day at the track or a race I needed a watch to tell me the time as well as a GPS: the 220 will do 9 days as a watch and alarm clock.

220 uploads really well via Bluetooth to my iPhone which is handy. Downside of the 220 is no navigation (so I used to be quite good at programming courses on-line and then sending them to the 305 and following new routes in strange places) and I am also not quite used the screens on the 220: on the 305 I had 3 screens and it auto-cycled through them, on the 220 I have yet to get used to the new screen options.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Cracking time Marrows! image

Will there be a full report....?

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

HUGE WELL DONE, Marrows!  That is a fantastic time for a HIM!  Report is due I think...

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Yes, come on Marrows ! btw,nice pic of portaloo exterior - there are those amongst us who may have favoured the interior  view. . . . . .

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Marrows: well done on the HIM!  Looking forward to the reportimage  And, yes, I should have known where I was going: I'd recce'd the damn thing the week before.  My lack of a sense of direction is fairly legendary, but even so...

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Marrows - as the skin is off the banana we can assume that they ate it in the queue and then forgot it after taking a scooby doo (rather than inserting it where the sun doesnt shine). 5:13 sounds impressive, shame you didnt wear your chip to get some split times. Which pacing strategy did you apply to the bike ?

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Maybe in between the 2?

rode it like you'd borrowed it....?

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

TR, SJ, kind of like I stole it but would not make a good thief.

Yes GM it was my first try at that distance and Birch, that is the inside of the loo!  DT19 wrote about taking refuge in a portaloo for 20 minutes or so before VLM this year, and eating a banana while he sat in there, but I didn't see him at this race.

OK OK I wrote a race report. it's coming up.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

it's quite long

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Other half planned to abandon me for the weekend and I'd seen this thread offering free race entries, so I asked to do this one.  The distance seemed nicely on the edge of what I can tackle without specific training.  I heard I'd got the place with about 2 weeks to go.

No car, so on Saturday I travelled by train and bike to a B&B, arriving just in time to watch Brazil v Chile.  I do not understand or care about football so this was very relaxing, like 90 minutes of shipping news (plus extra time and penalties).  Also I had a bath, read about Victorian railway bridges, and ate soreen.  Quick snooze, then up at 3:45am for breakfast and another bike ride to race registration around 5am.  Everyone superbly equipped and fit-looking, one pregnant-looking but I didn't ask for confirmation.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

I failed to persuade the organisers to let me leave my wetsuit at home, though the water was 21C.  Boo.  There were 200 or so of us, all in a single wave.  I asked a canoeist what the best place was for not getting kicked in the face. She said 'hang back' and I thought 'screw that'.  Instead I resolved to enjoy being in this large shoal of clumsy rubber fish.  Got walloped? They're just being friendly! Now go find some feet to tickle! Swimming hard doesn't get me to the end much quicker, so I swam steady for about 37 minutes (someone was calling out times on the way out).

I allowed myself the luxury of socks to cycle in, and a little sit down in transition while I put them on.  Then out on to the bike course: mostly lovely rolling country roads, short nasty dual carriageway section into headwind livened up by people cheering.  I had borrowed clip-on aero bars, but didn't dare use them much.  To- and fro-ed with some chaps and passed a few women. One guy freewheeling: was he peeing? Towards the end I had a caffeine gel and put the not-quite-empty wrapper up my shorts. It oozed brown goo down my thigh.  If you find my race photos, that's not poo.  I also got ribena and snot all over my face and legs.  I looked forward to the uphills and getting out of the saddle to ease an achey lower back.  Think bike split was about 2:55 for 92km. To be honest I'd hoped to get round slightly quicker but .. OK.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Off the bike, changed shoes, and discarded the gazillion gels I had not used.  This weekend's new and amusing leg malfunction was worn out adductors, making me feel that my bottom was waggling like a duck and I was not going forward.  1km in was a steep downhill stony track but I couldn't pick my cadence up to take advantage; then up to a gorgeous breezy ridge where I wobbled off the path and into the rut next to it.  2km in, I decided that SlokeyJoe or TR or whoever it was that said my legs would 'come back' to me was a big fat stinking liar.  3km in, my legs came back to me.  4km and I began looking for bushes to poo in, cursing my one-piece tri suit.  Not urgent, keep going.  5.2km was the end of lap one, three more to go. I overtook a few people and started to wonder whether I was far enough ahead for it to be worth pooping myself.  Decided probably not: it already looked as though I had done so, with that cola SIS trickle, but I was going home by bike & train, and there were no showers.  OK, not willing to poop self.. how about bushes? what degree of public exposure would I accept? And what if someone else was behind that likely-looking hedge? Luckily, things settled down and I never had to make these choices.  Got a look at the finish clock and timed lap 3, 24 minutes. OK, that would make 1:36ish for the run, and I was still picking people off, but my smug feeling was dented at start of lap 4 when a Chrissie Wellington lookalike flew past.  I asked her what lap she was on and she shouted 'It's a secret' - good answer.  Overtook and cheered a pirate, who said 'Arrr'.  Nearly there.. scamperscamper, remember light and strong, also fierce and mean.. the end, hurrah!

Someone tried to remove my timing chip and found that i had not put it on, assuming that the chip was embedded in the neoprene holder strap.  There was a nice big spread of fruit and chocolate thingies so I was dismayed by lack of appetite. jumped back in the lake to wash off ribena, snot, sweat, and gel for the benefit of my fellow train passengers, then put on my waterproofs because it started raining.

They gave lots of prizes so I got one for being 4th of 36 women and another for being 1st of 5 women my age, very nice but a damned nuisance carrying home the silverware and wine in my little rucksack!

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Great report marrows, excellent effort.
  • moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Although I did think it was going to sink to a Badbark style 'walnuts and all' report.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

Marrows - you are a tough little nut with a decent sized pair, well done, a great read and you managed to keep it sufficiently numpty (which is what I try to do ) in a world of bling and expensive kit. You could be good. with a few more races under your belt.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Nice report Marrows and well done image

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Fine reporting, marrows - congrats on bagging double booty !