First 13.1!

Hey guys, I have a few newbie questions for y'all. I'm running my first half in Milton Keynes this weekend and I wanted to ask for some advice on a few things. - I have to travel around 45 minutes to the race, should I travel in my race gear or get changed when I arrive? - Should I get changed immediately after the race into some dry clothes for the drive home? - What gear should I look to take? If I'm already wearing my race gear, do I need to take anything other than a change of clothes? Any other useful info would be great. Cheers IE.

Comments

• Entirely personal choice really. I always wear my race gear to the event. I take a change of clothes and a towel, but I only change if its been a particularly wet race.

I advise getting there good and early, take in some of the atmosphere, have a good warm up and enjoy it image

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I wear my clothing to an event when I can, that way I can spot if i'm missing anything.

Changing after makes sense otherwise, once you start to cool down you are wearing wet clothing etc.. not much fun.

Take a snack, or some money to get some food after, might feel peckish image

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Oh and a few plasters in case you need to patch up any blisters etc...

• Travel in race gear with something warmer over the top. I take clothes for afterwards, but there's often not anywhere to get changed so it might have to be in the car park, in a portaloo (not pleasant!) or if you're not wet just something loose and warm to put on over the top of race clothes. I oftyen take a towel, then if I get soaked during the race I can sit on it in the car / wrap it around myself to save getting changed. This works great until you stop to get diesel on the way home image

Definitely a snack and drink for afterwards, I always take water with an electrolyte tablet in as I get a headache after races if I don't have something 'salty'. 

Good luck!

• I tend to take a fair bit of kit with me and decide last minute what to wear because weather changes quickly. However, I do tend to wear my shorts but not tops and `accessories`. I try and remember a change of top and a towel. A fair few folk seem to have flip flop type things for after which must be nice for sore feet. Good luck!

• all of the above, + extra safety pins :P, 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Take some spare toilet paper.

• If you can, stay over in a premier inn from around 29 quid onwards. For me it's a little treat for the weeksof training I have put in and helps me chill out before a race  / wind down afterwards. Either way enjoy.