Man Versus Mountain

I'm entering for the first time this years Man Versus Mountain which is located in Caernarfon. It's a 20 mile race which includes scaling the summit of Snowdon. As part of the manditory kit, it mentions to include a waterproof jacket and with the ever changing conditions on Snowdon I can understand. I'm looking to purchase one for the first time however reading other forums the advice is to get a windproof one instead. The reason being is you will still get wet be it by rain or sweat but the windproof jackets would be better to keep you warm near the summit. Also required hat and gloves.

Its my first time in a race like this and have been training for some months towards it, this will include a trip out to Snowdon in the coming few weeks too. But what I'm really unsure of is the right preparation towards my kit and if anyone who may have done last year for the first time may have some advice for me.

Many thanks

Mart

Comments

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Rules say rainproof is mandatory, so you need rainproof irrespective of what any forum says. It's that simple.

The choice is a posh jacket like the montane minimus or omm kamelika that will last a while and will be useful, or a cheap jacket pretty much just for the event. 

• It must be waterproof and should also be breathable with taped seams. Remember - its not just for running in. It is there for your safety in the event that you are injured or incapacitated in someway.

If you want to splash out I'd recommend the OMM kamleika too

• BikoBiko ✭✭✭
  • Thanks for the advise, and rainproof it will be. I just wasn't sure if the advise was coming from someone who'd done the race. I intend to do more of these type events and tend to train in the winter so will be happy to pay a few quid for a descent one. I'll have a look at the ones you've mentioned and also the tapes seams. Thanks again for the help.