Sub 3h15

Comments

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Marrows - Impressive 1st outing there really well done and enjoyed your report.

• Great report Marrows! I bet you didn't really mind carrying the booze and silverware home though.

• Oh Christ, I just read Badbark's report. I don't I'll sleep tonight image

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Some reports certainly pile in a lot of detail

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Great performnce merits a great report- well done Marrows

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Super stuff Marrows image More to come in the future? 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well done Marrows. V much enjoyed your report!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Marrows - congratulations on a fabulous effort - nice report too.
    No running so far this week and I've been off-line too. My mum had a hip replacement last week and came home at the weekend. She's doing well, but I've been staying at her house so she's not on her own.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good luck to your mum Gul- but I'm really surprised you are not out during the night, running while she sleeps...

Beautiful day here, warm with light breeze. Gentle 5 miler in prep. for 10km race tomorrow evening. Tynedale 10k is a nice race along the river banks Ovingham to Wylam. I'm going to try for a sub 37m (38.30 last year), and Junior is in the hunt for a PB- I think she might break 42, but lets see. Don't suppose you are dong this Minni?

• First of the month so summary for June

167 miles in 20:58 at an average pace of 7:31 a mile. For 2014 I am now 1218 miles so still ahead of the 200 a month but that was due to 800 in the first 3 months and 400 in the 3 since so unlikely to keep that way.

5k tonight, start of a run of them, 5 or 6 in July without parkruns.

• Blimey - that's annoyingly impressive, Marrows.  Splendid stuff.

PMJ - Thank you for the 220 info.  All very useful.  OO too, for the Sweatshop tip.

Mind you, perhaps there's something to be said for running without a Garmin.  Thanks to the loan of a 305 from a so-called 'friend', I'm able to confirm that today's 10 miler came in at an average pace of 9.15mm.  With friends like that, who needs enemies?

How's your achilles, MsE?

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - Good luck with your 10k tomorrow. Sub 37 would be very nice as would sub 42 for Junior.

Gul - I wondered where you were. Thought perhaps you were catching up on your sleep.image

5k lunch run with a new work colleague today and had no idea what to expect as he is not particulary fit at the mo. Although I know he has some form and has completed the MDS. No warm up and it was hot out there today. He went off at an alarmingly quick pace and I thought he won't keep this up but he did and he only faded around 3.5k. Average pace was 6:39mm. We did the second half in 6:27mm pace. Nice to have a quick work training partner for these speedy 5k's.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I couldn't run that fast outside of a race GM- goods effort

• Lurking rather than posting recently as my running has been nothing to shout about for various reasons but some impressive warm weather training and racing going on with Marrows' tri the standout performance. Where do we find the photos?

More consistent stuff from PMJ certainly better than my, er, 13 miles running in June. I spent the first couple of weeks post Stockholm trying to throw off the virus / sore throat but each time I went out it didn't feel great and in any case I needed to get some decent bike miles in so it's been time on wheels rather than time on feet recently.

The aim of the bike training has been preparation for my 2 day ride up to Yorkshire starting tomorrow. The plan is 150 miles from Surrey to a mate's in Grantham tomorrow, then on Friday a bunch of us are cycling up to Leeds (about 80 miles) then I'm heading on for another 40 or so over to the in-laws just north of York. Slightly anxious - while I've done about 125 miles in a day, two days of it on the trot is something new. Still, the combination of plenty of time, gels and flapjacks should see me through!!

At least Saturday will be a combination of car and bike to watch the Tour, probably in Ripon, before heading back home. 

Anyone else planning to be up there?

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

I can walk from my place to see stage 2 on Sunday  . . . . .

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Some impressive training and racing going on, as always, but particular congratulations to Marrows for a great HIM performance; liked the report too.

Back in the connected world today after camping over the weekend and Wimbledon yesterday. No sporting endeavours of my own to report; cricket was rained off (again) on Saturday, and I've been continuing to rest my quad strain. Feels much better now though, so will swim today, run tomorrow, and am hopeful I'll be back to normal.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

2 x 500m splashing around in the pool at lunch. Nothing else to see here!

• Plan is to be at Bucking Palace on Monday as they go round the final corner, anyone else there?

5k for me last night and I have not got used to the new Garmin so ran on feel and used it just to record. 3:24, 3:32, 3:35, 3:36, 4:06 woops shit! Seems that the sessions done to get a mile in make these fast paces feel easy until it hits in. Should be good for a 3000m on the track but need to pace the 5ks a but more conservatively. Anyway, 18:14 overall is good and my fastest this year if I exclude the track.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Abbers - Welcome back! Who did you see at Wimbledon? Major surprise to see Nadal go out, especially after his recent form in Paris.

Lorenzo - Good to hear from you shame about the lurgy and lack of runinng though but least you have your cycling to fall back on. You sound really keen on that sort of thing. I never really got cycling as a sport but loved my bike as a kid getting from A to B. Perhaps it's something I should do more of.

OO - I am sure you could run that sort of pace in a training run, you are very speedy.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

GM - we were on No 1, so had a tennis master class from Federer to admire, then a similarly one-sided quarter final between Safarova and Makarova. Ditched the planned doubles matches afterwards in favour of strolling round the outside courts and catching some of the juniors close up. Then dinner in Wimbledon, and train home. Lovely day in the sun image  Those on Centre got 2 cracking matches though!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Don't forget the bum cream Lozza!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Tynedale 10k tonight. Ran a 37:15, which was slightly below target but my best 10k for almost two years. It was a tale of 2 halves, running first 3 miles in 17:30. Then the wheels came off for the next 2 running into the wind- 6:15 mile 4 then 6:20 mile 5. Managed to compose myself for the last mile with a 6:09. Overall I felt under par and uncomfortable, so a decent time considering.

Junior OO finished in the top 10 ladies, smashing her PB with a 41:50. That at least put a shine on  the evening.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Well done to tte OO family. Cracking times!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - Great 10k time! Judging by your 3 mile split that looked like a very aggressive 1st half split. Sub 37 will come in better conditions and when you feel better. Well done to Junior for a great sub 42!

PMJ - Very nice 5k, as you say, a bit of tweaking on the pace and there's more to come for sure. Have you got a target 5k for sub 18? Looks like you're in that shape or thereabouts. What is the target for 3,000m?

Abbers -  How nice to see the majestic Federer and sounds like a fab day out. I used to play a bit when younger and my 5 year old saved his pocket money recently to buy himself his first tennis racket. He's got a toughie coming up against Raonic. Stan seemed out of sorts but he always looks knackered.

Just watched the playback of the Chicago ITU. Gwen Jorgensen is a beautiful runner, almost ethereal to watch.

• Bit late catching up with everything, but thanks to marrows for a great race report.

Nothing exciting in my running lately (just chugging through P+D, week 3... today was a 4m recovery where I had to keep putting the brakes on and repeating, 'recovery, recovery, recovery').

However, me and my lovely other helped out this weekend past at the Western States Endurance Run -- 100.2 hilly miles. We were at a station at mile 85.2 to hand drinks/food to both the chipper and the broken as they rolled through. (Total elevation gain is ~18,000 feet; total drop is ~23,000 feet, most of which happens before mile 85, so the broken come by it honestly. Not really sure how the chipper looking ones do it...) We got almost no sleep, as the runners were coming through all night, but it was fun and inspiring. (And occasionally heartbreaking, as in the case of a runner/pacer combo that came in 3 minutes after the time cutoff and weren't permitted to continue.)
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Excuse the flying visit. My mum's doing well, and I'm now just calling round at strategic times during the day (like any minute now!) First run this morning since Saturday. 6 slow miles.

• Gerard Mooney wrote (see)

PMJ - Very nice 5k, as you say, a bit of tweaking on the pace and there's more to come for sure. Have you got a target 5k for sub 18? Looks like you're in that shape or thereabouts. What is the target for 3,000m?

Target 5k is Hyde Park on 18th July. 3000m target has to be to beat the masters PB of 10:18

Have people noticed parkrun are back on po10?

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

That's good news Gul. image

Quality volunteering Rennur. I'll bet it was quite something to see the superstars come through. Are you based over there?

• SJ, we live in the San Francisco Bay area, so a few hours drive south of the race.

And yes, the front runners were amazing. First guy through, Rob Krar, looked so smooth and solid you'd never know he'd been on his feet for 85 miles. He was also so incredibly focused that he barely noticed us as he flew by.
  • AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Nice 10k times & performances in the OO household.

GM - he may be raging against the dying of the light a little, but I'd like to think Federer has one more slam in him (probably Wimbledon) before he bows out. Won't get many more chances.

Rennur - 100 hilly miles sounds horrendous! Almost as much of a feat of endurance to man an aid station for that long too, so kudos for that. I'd like to think I'd get a business freebie out to SF at some point, as I work for Cisco, but don't suppose they're too worried about lowly minions like me!

Gul - glad your Mum's recovering well.

PMJ - any particular plan to deliver you to the start line on the 18th in top shape?

5 easy miles today, first run for a week, and absolutely nothing from my quad; no twinges, tightness or anything, so I declare myself officially fit. image