How do I get my 1.5 mile time to under 10:30?

When I first started doing a mile and a half run my run time was 14 minutes, my best run time now is 11:40 for the mile and a half, but I need to get it under 10:30

at the moment when ever I go for a run, I run for around 25 minutes, I used to do this 3 times a week, Monday, wednesday, friday But now I have recently been doing this once a week, so I do not lose the fitness I have built up, But I have noticed a slight decline in my fitness, is there anything else I should do to improve? my fitness and run time, I will be honest with the people on this website, sometimes I just lose the motivation to go out and run, but I know that this is something that I need to do, for the sake of my future

I want to join the Army, and they do have fitness programmes on their website that I would like to follow but cant because I dont understand what it is that the programme wants me to do for example on day one of the plan it says to do 5x knee press ups 5x dorsal raise etc.. like this But what I dont get is how many reps of that exersize it wants me to do, I presume I would do (if it was 10 reps) that exersize 5 times? sorry about this but some fitness programmes confuse me

Comments

• Run more. Once a week isnt enough to improve. 

I'd be really keen to run 3 or 4 times a week if i were you - if you want to get into the army you'll be up against some very fit people. 

No idea about the other bits sorry.

• I have looked at that Army programme before.You just need to do exactly what it says, so on day one you do 5 knee press ups, then 5 dorsal raises, etc. That's it. It probably confused you because it seems too easy. (Compare it to week 2 Day 5 where it says 'Do this 2 times').

Remember that is day one of the two week 'Conditioning' programme which basicly assumes that you are starting from scratch. Then there is the Main programme with four weeks at level 1, four weeks at level 2 and four weeks at level 3.

I would just start at the beginning and follow the whole programme even if it feels easy to begin with. You said you had trouble sticking to a routine so doing a couple of easy weeks where you just get into the habit of exercising regularly would probably be a good thing.

• Hi cougie, and Kryten, Thank you for your answers so far, I know I need to get fit to get in the forces and to be accepted with a good grade at Selection, I just need to work hard to get where I aim to be, Kryten thanks for telling me some information about the Army programme (it is the same one I am looking at) there are one or two other questions that do confuse me on that programme still on Day One of the Main programme it says to do

3x 1/2max press ups (< what is this asking me to do)?

and on some of the days of the programme it says to do a 10 minute warm up, then at the end of the day it just says ~ 10 mins (which tells me nothing)? and how am I supposed to know what to do in the warm up or do I just make it up as I go along?

thank you for your time and help so far.

• Cough *intervals* cough
  • You really want to get your time well under 10.30 too; around the 9.00 - 9.30 minute mark really.  If you join up and your levels of fitness are poor, you will not only be suffering with lack of sleep, fatigue, homesickness (and you will), getting yelled at by shouty Corporals, but you will also suffer tremedously due to a low level of fitness.

You really do not want to be the person doing the impression of the Ribena man at the back of the squad.

• theoverweightRunner wrote (see)

Before you start the programme need to do a test where you see how many press-ups you can do in 1 minute and also how many sit-ups you can do in 1 minute. Then 3 x 1/2max press ups means do half your maximum from the test and repeat three times. Later on, at the end of each level, you repeat the test and hopefully your max will have gone up and you use the new max in the next level.

theoverweightRunner wrote (see)

and on some of the days of the programme it says to do a 10 minute warm up, then at the end of the day it just says ~ 10 mins (which tells me nothing)? and how am I supposed to know what to do in the warm up or do I just make it up as I go along?

I agree, this isn't explained too well. It does tell you what to do for the warm up / cool down in Learn The Exercises section. When you are told to warm up for 15 mins I would do some slow jogging to make up the time, especially if the main workout is running intervals.

The 10 mins at the end? I would do the cool down as describe and make up the time with easy jogging if necessary.

• Hi and firstly good luck on your future application to join the forces...

I am ex-forces and just to say...you will need plently of internal 'motivation' if you get my drift...but on the other hand these tests are just a 'basic level' of fitness.

Get your self to a gym, follow a program of general fitness and also do the same with your running...Dont just see the various tests as 'de facto'...use them as a guage of your improvement..and you will see the improvement...just show a little patience.

Tommorow you need to put on your running gear and get out there whether it's 30deg or hammering it down and repeat, repeat, repeat...show a little 'grit'.

If you can find someone to train with this will help...don't know anyone to train with...go to the gym and ask the staff or perhaps those at the local running club...a little inititive will go a long way now and in your future career within the Armed Forces.

Another thing is that it's not wrong to ask when you don't know somthing, as you have done here...if the wording on the website is not as clear to you as it could be...why not walk into the Recruiting Office and ask...nothing like that to show a little inititive and drive.

I can think of nothing better than joining the military...I wish you every success...the rest is ALL down to YOU.

Cheers

Dave

• Hi,

I am in the army and I have found the best way to get your mile and a half time down is to incorporate sprint sessions in your running schedule. You should be running about 3 times a week. With the sprint sessions start with a ten minute warm up of jogging/running at a comfortable pace. When you are warmed up move onto the sprints, for this but to start with run as fast as you can for 100 metres and then walk or jog for a but and repeat the 100m sprint. Just do this a few times for the 1st session. It will hurt but just dont think about it! For the following sessions do exactly the same but go for 200 or 300m, as you get fitter you will be able to go faster for longer, just make sure that you keep pushing yourself, its not easy but your hard work will pay off. If you do sprints you will notice a a big improvement to your normal running in a short space of time! Remember to have rest days, this is when your body gets stronger!

Hope this helps and good luck!! image

• Kryten wrote (see)

Before you start the programme need to do a test where you see how many press-ups you can do in 1 minute and also how many sit-ups you can do in 1 minute. Then 3 x 1/2max press ups means do half your maximum from the test and repeat three times. Later on, at the end of each level, you repeat the test and hopefully your max will have gone up and you use the new max in the next level.

I agree, this isn't explained too well. It does tell you what to do for the warm up / cool down in Learn The Exercises section. When you are told to warm up for 15 mins I would do some slow jogging to make up the time, especially if the main workout is running intervals.

The 10 mins at the end? I would do the cool down as describe and make up the time with easy jogging if necessary.

Thanks Kryten with the Army Programme and sorry for late reply, Im on the 1st week of the conditioning programme and I can tell, it is going to get Progressively tougher (but my body should in the long run be able to cope with it) I just hope day to day events in my life dont interrupt the programme, so for example today I have to visit a family member, so now I have to do my PT really early, which puts more pressure on me, then in the evening,

I also have another problem on the army programme on week to on day 5 it says this:

(just an example)

~ 15 Min Run

~  7 press ups

~ 7 chair dips

7 Sit ups

7 dorsal raise

(DO THIS 2 TIMES) < now what I dont get is it asking me to just do 2 sets of upper and lower body exersizes or does it want me to do 2 sets as well as two 15 minute runs? instead of the one 15 minute run, and just doing one set of exersizes twice thank you for the help so far you have been a great help.image

• Dave Anderson 5 wrote (see)

Hi and firstly good luck on your future application to join the forces...

I am ex-forces and just to say...you will need plently of internal 'motivation' if you get my drift...but on the other hand these tests are just a 'basic level' of fitness.

Get your self to a gym, follow a program of general fitness and also do the same with your running...Dont just see the various tests as 'de facto'...use them as a guage of your improvement..and you will see the improvement...just show a little patience.

Tommorow you need to put on your running gear and get out there whether it's 30deg or hammering it down and repeat, repeat, repeat...show a little 'grit'.

If you can find someone to train with this will help...don't know anyone to train with...go to the gym and ask the staff or perhaps those at the local running club...a little inititive will go a long way now and in your future career within the Armed Forces.

Another thing is that it's not wrong to ask when you don't know somthing, as you have done here...if the wording on the website is not as clear to you as it could be...why not walk into the Recruiting Office and ask...nothing like that to show a little inititive and drive.

I can think of nothing better than joining the military...I wish you every success...the rest is ALL down to YOU.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for wishing me good luck, I just really hope I do one day become a Soldier in the British Army, its all I think about really, as its my main Goal that I have had in life.

And Yes I understand where you are comeing from, I am going to need to motivate my self to just get out there, on the days where I dont feel like doing any PT at all, you do get your ''off and on days'' well I do anyway.. but since I have been following this Army fitness programme so far I have stuck to it and I know its going to get harder, but at the end of the day, thats going to help me get the career I have always wanted.

And thats what I did, your post really did motivate me, and thats what being a Soldier is all about at the end of the day going outside in any condition that you may be faced with, loads of civvys will moan about the weather, but not many service men or women will.

Yes I do plan on joining a Gym for the first time, when I get my self a job and I have my own income. my plan is to build my fitness up while in some civvy job, until I know that I would stand a good chance of passing selection and meeting the demands of Phase 1 training, Im out of shape at the moment but hopefully I will keep being determined to lose this bit of weight that I have and get in shape for HM Armed Forces.

And thank you dave for your post & Service to this nation, what part of HM armed forces was you in? and for how long?

• imageHi...first things first...suggest you change you forum name..it's shit! and not worthy of a soldier...change itimage...think, breathe and be fit...no exceptions, no excuses...Just like Nike.. 'Just do it'.

If you are a bit bigger than you think you should be..take a picture of your self every week and pin it to your door then the following week put the new picture over it...week by week you see changes to your self in so many ways...

Gym too expensive..yeah I get where your coming from...get out and do press-ups, squats, etc, etc in the park...it's free and it's open 24x7 image

Was a grunt...Ex 2Bn The Queens Regiment ' Steady the Buffs'...in too long...

Oh and you might like to go to http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/beginners/weight-loss-name-and-shame-or-congratulate/166729-167.html it's on this site and they are all very helpful...I'm starting to use it as I have had to lose some weight too...

Again good luck...if YOU do the WORK...You'll get what you want

Cheers Dave.

ps..Squaddies bitch about everything...foods crap, boots don't fit, mail not getting through and my birds sent me a 'dear John'...but thats what makes being a squaddie so bloody fantastic...image

• You could try this

See if they are doing classes near you.

A guy I know came to me when he was feeling a bit unmotivated fitness wise with the usual "you run dont you?" and I suggested them. I went with him the first time for support and he liked it so much he carried on the classes.

He's in Sandhurst now, so if you see him please saluteimage

• I'm in the forces, I have to run the 2.4km in 11:13. One of my goals since I started running regularly was to get it down to under 9 minutes. 

The way I've found to best improve your time is to run a 5k comfortably at whatever pace, important part is to run the distance. Once you can do this then do interval training. 

Run for a minute at 80-90% effort and then walk/jog slowly for a minute, complete this 10 times. Adjust the timings and amount depending on your own fitness, do it 2-3 times a week and build yourself up to be able to run longer and faster and walking/jogging less. 

I've been in your shoes. If you put the effort in you will get there! 

• Right buddy i am 41 years old and still pass my BPFA in under 10 minutes 30, it is more to do with mental attitude than anything else, this goes for almost everything you will do in the Army.

Like other posters have said you need to run at least 4 times a week ensuring you also have a rest, make sure you alternate your training as well do some weights etc.

A pass at 10:30 will set you up well for training, as once the Army has you they will beast your ass in training, meaning they will take you to your limit then over it a little. Your endurance will increase week after week untill you finish CMS'R, where you will find yourself to be a fit and capable young person.

Military training is as much in the mind as it is in the body, the stuff athletes do in lycra you will be expected to do in a uniform with a rifle and bergen, so don't worry too much your basic training will prepare you and once your finished it is up to you to improve or at least keep the standard...

Good luck with your training big fella!!!

• Did you make the times? I started three weeks ago and my time was 18 minutes lol! Done it again today after the three weeks training and done it in 11:39. So getting better
  • simon durrant2 wrote (see)

should i do short sprints in my running, got my mile and a half to 11.46

need to improve.

I would alternate longer (45 mins - 1 hour) routes with doing the actual PFT.

Find a good linear 1.5 mile route going away from your home.   Run / walk this route out.  Aim for 15 minutes here, so 6mph average - not quite walkable, but not much of a run.  This is your warm up.  When you get to the far end, pause, gather yourself and then peg it back as fast as you can.

My general tips for a quick time:

1. It hurts.  Just deal with it.

2. 1.5 miles is a sprint, not a long distance run.  Okay, it's clearly not a sprint, but nor is it a long distance run that you need to pace yourself for.  You should be going hard, fast and aggressively from the start.

3. If you cross the line and can talk within the first minute, you've kept too much in reserve.  (See point 1)

Overall, aim to go out every other day...

Day 1 - 1.5 x2

Day 3 - 45+ min

Day 5 - 1.5x2

Day 7 - 45+ min

Day 9 - ... you get the drift!

• simon durrant2 wrote (see)

P.s remember i'm 50 !

okay!

I'm nearly there as well, but I assumed you were younger at looking at Army entry.

The principles are still the same, just bear in mind that your body doesn't work quite as well as it once did!  Just allow longer between exercises until your body is adjusted and take the progression slow.  I'm not sure what stage you're at, but that might mean starting on one 25 min run a week, perhaps with a couple of hour-long walks thrown in.  Then after a month or two, adding in a second run and so on... . I am in the process of getting fit myself and I don't think there are any short cuts - particularly if your knees / back / shoulders are all knackered like mine!

I remember hearing once that the reason it was harder than it should be to lose weight is that it basically takes as long to get weight off as its been on for.  So if you've been overweight for 20 years, the only solution is a long slog.  I guess it's a similar situation with fitness.

• If I was the op j wouldn't worry about fitness, your intelectual dexterity makes you a perfect candidate for the armed forces...