Sub 3h15

Comments

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Good day here - 21 miler this morn, home for food and bath, then off to TorDeF fanzone adjacent to here

/members/images/396841/Gallery/TourPic.jpeg

to see action on big screen and drink beer. Back there tomorrow to see the live action on this very road . . . . .
    Hope Lorenzo had a good day  . . . . . .

• 5k today turned out to be a 5 miler as we were missing a few fast guys and I was promoted form a old farts spot to a senior spot. 5.3 miles off road at 6:24 pace must help with the endurance and we came in second so not bad,but the quality was way down on last year: those 2 or 3 million people watching the cyclists in Yorkshire seem to have taken away quite a few runners.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - Did you pick up a niggle at that one? Hope you feel better soon.

PMJ - That sounds like a good pace for 5.3 off road. My boss has gone to Yorkshire to watch the cyclists. I have never watched cycling even when Ireland had some good cyclists back in the day.

Considering doing a 10k race on Thursday night. It's a flat one along the seafront but it's normally very windy down there. No idea what that will turn up as I have missed 12 days running in the last 20! Busy day tomorrow but need to try sneak in a decent long run before my son's 6th birthday party, surf lesson and zorbing on the beach. Hope the weather clears.

• Great day today - prime viewing spot by the side of the road in Wormald Green. Just amazing to watch nearly 200 blokes riding in such close formation at such speed. Great atmosphere - plenty of fun and cycling knowledge blended with Yorkshire wit.

Really chuffed to have made it up to North Yorkshire in one piece: nearly 280 miles over 2 days. Knackering in places, but not feeling too bad now.

Am contemplating the thought of cycling from home to wherever the first stage kicks off next year as well!!!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Well done Lorenzo! Utrecht next year!?image (at least it should be flat)

• I will never understand why the Tour de France isn't actually in France.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

It is.  Mostly.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

No niggles GM, injury free at the mo image.

The tour looked pretty fab, amazing support- glad I'm not driving home though...

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Incroyable ! 

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

It looked pretty good on TV, glad they employed Birch as an interpreter for the hordes of French visitors image

Incroyable effort by Lorenzo - a journey you will never forget (unlike the "bum gel" or whatever it was called

Nice effort Speedy, textbooks are overrated

I saw several odd things at today's race (1) bloke running in a tweed flat cap, and (2) a pink medal (although maybe RFL or others have used pink) (3) bagpiper and brass band, unusual in Sussex. Hard day out, report when results are in 

• SJ - hadn't clocked that they had already announced where it was starting next year. I feel a cunning plan for Utrecht already coming together.

Now need to think about getting back into running mode again, although with the weather being so pleasant, it's difficult to resist the temptation to get the bike out. 

Decided to double up today by having a rest day from both cycling and running. image

• Well I won my race today so the 19 miler yesterday probably didn't do any harm. It wasn't my fastest, but it was very windy (again, seems to be a constant theme for track racing this summer). Our rival clubs wheeled out Jenny Meadows and Marilyn Okuru among others, but the highlight for me was watching Katarina Johnson Thompson in the triple jump (her club are in a different division to mine but they were staging both division matches at the same time - mightily confusing!).

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SG - Well done on the win. Not sure I'd be up for 3,000 after a 19 mile run.

All this talk about TdF leaves me wondering if am I missing something?

Decided to defer my 16 mile this morning as I thought I would be a bit tired for my son's 6th birthday party. I'm glad I did that as I was able to enjoy the day and quickly change into my running gear as things came to a close. I underestimated the distance and only did 14 miles in the end, but what a beautiful run. A very mixed bag in terms of terrain, scenery and pace. 10 miles along the coastal trail path with some nice cliff paths and woodland trail and a flat 4 miles along the promenade to finish .Set off at a very sensible pace, 7:54mm, given the terrain and heat for the 1st 7.5 miles and then for some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to try run 5 miles at MP. Ran 5 miles at a steady effort which turned out to be 7:10mm and jogged the last 1.5 home at 7:55mm pace. Will be interesting to see how legs recover from the last two days efforts.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Birch - nice to get a 21 miler in the bag.
    PMJ - good effort; as you say, it will have helped.
    Lorenzo - sounds like you enjoyed the Tour de France. Double rest will be twice as fast a recovery!
    Speedy - congrats on the win. 19 miler inc. parkrun is obviously good prep for a 3k!
    GM - great run.
    10 miles inc. strides today averaging 7:40 m/m.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Well done on the cycling efforts, Lorenzo.

Nice runs from GM and Birch.

I was on league duties as well, but unlike Speedy (well done on the win) I was in the less glamorous Midlands Div 2 (albeit at the Paula Radcliffe Stadium aka Loughborough Uni...).  1st in the 3k was sub 10 and therefore no use to me and after a couple of laps I was easily clear of 2nd so spent 5 laps working alone.  Battled to a modest season's best (10.56) but not the 10.4x I'd hoped for after my 5000 exploits.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Nice start to the week, Gul
    Good efforts from Speedy (another victory), & Jools (SB in a solo time trial style)
    Sounds a lovely route, Gerard  . . . .
    Poacher - odd thing (1) surely he should be running in my neck of the woods, and yes, our visitors in the Tour vehicles were most impressed as I bellowed "bon apres-midi" at them image

• Gul, are you clear in your mind what your training plan is? As far as I can see, you started to train way back towards the end of 2013 for the Kent Roadrunner Marathon at the end of May and now you are aiming for Mablethorpe Marathon and their  website says 12 weeks, 5 days to go  until October 5th, so that will be over a year of solid training. You seem to be putting in big miles (19 last week?) and fast ones (so today was 10 at 7:40 which is swift by most standards) and 12 weeks out that seems to be a big load to take on.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Good effort by GM & Joolska
    Good language skills by the people of Yorkshire, esp. Monsieur Bouleau de Sheffield

Bit of an eye opener yesterday at the Bewl 15 race in Sussex. I fancied a gentle rural bimble and last year's results suggested a time around 1h50 could be good for top 40 and age group podium. However the event was doubling as the first British Masters national multi-terrain championship which had attracted hordes of lean, fast, serious vet pot-hunters. So despite running fairly hard for 1.51 I ended up a lowly 107th/683 and 14th V50. Wouldn't even have got top 3 in the V60s!  Got to admire these folk who stick at it and stay so fit despite the ravages of age.  Other than that a challenging course, some tight turns/mud/slightly technical sections, a very good workout, and including home made cake washed down with beer at the finish. Recommended all round

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Good pace for the distance & terrain, Poacher. Interesting how we, ahem, older types measure ourselves. isn't it? I think I may refer your result to my M55 mate who likes to big himself up when he beats the jogging dads (none meant) to nab 1st age-group in the parkrun. I tend to look at, for example, things like local XC league as a guide, and I certainly feel I've had a good season if I make the top dozen ! 

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Indeed, on hitting V50 the competition tails away drastically, so yesterday was a good reminder that there are actually plenty of fast ones out there. It's very noticeable at (my local) parkrun that the fields of 50+ men, and women in general, are very weak and this doesn't do much to spur the speedier ones on.

Tell your chum that v50 1st place at the average parkrun is nowt to get vain about!
  • That sounds quite an adventure, Lorenzo.  And I loved Birch's 'Ey up' photo.
    Impressive crowd scenes on the telly, but what motivates the majority of these people to attend?  Are they really all cycling enthusiasts, or do they just relish the opportunity to be close to an 'event' (nothing wrong with that, I suppose).  Anyway, I like the idea of the tour, but can't quite seem to muster any enthusiasm for the reality.

It's 5 minutes from my doorstep, so it seemed rude not to jog round the Southport half as a slow training run yesterday.  Starting right at the back, the first mile took about 10 minutes.  The last was about 7.  It all made for a fairly enjoyable 1hr, 55m.  Much more fun than the usual Sunday long run. 

Good to hear, MsE.  My own injuries are holding up.  Aided by my new mantra of 'no running on consecutive days'.  Mind you, that philosophy probably doesn't lend itself to a successful marathon training schedule... 

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

TAR - "what motivates the majority of these people to attend?  Are they really all cycling enthusiasts, or do they just relish the opportunity to be close to an 'event'

good question, TAR, and I'm not really qualified to analyse, but I can only tell it as I felt it, so to speak. I've followed the Tour on TV for many years, since the Greg LeMond era, in the way I "follow" many sports. It has the appeal of being an endurance sport, so this puts it above such as, for example, tennis, but I'm not as avid a fan as I am for football & athletics. So, when I knew the Tour was coming within a handful of miles from my place I did want to see it, but the way it's been embraced here has been beyond any expectations. I never imagined I could be out in the beautiful countryside on the edges of Sheff cheering wildly as giant bottles of fruit squash and massive bags of confectionery wound their way through the flag waving hordes !  Then the intensity levels ratcheted up as suddenly the clattering helicopter was overhead, and the leading group was powering up the hill. Wonderful stuff ! Then, later, I saw the highlights on TV, and I must confess to a lump in the throat as I observed the race exploding up Jenkin Road hill, then down and along to the finish. I know these streets, ,grew up near them, have run miles on them, and to see this iconic event taking place there was, somehow, quite moving.
    Today, everyone is talking about it, instead of moaning about the council or whatever.
    So, to summarise the following in one word; Sat am - long run with pals, Sat pm beer and stage one on big screen at fan park with pal; Sun- day of bonkers pleasure at the Tour just 3 miles from my home, with son & daughter . . .  - 
    The one word is JOYFUL

Enjoy your running, everyone . . . .

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Birch - Very nicely put and great that the crowds turned out in such large numbers to enjoy the event.

Jools - Can't recall if I said already but well done on the pb in your 3,000m's. I have only ever run one once and it was not a very good one for me, think it was 11:10.

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Hard to keep up in here! Great racing/training going on!!

I've slowly been building. Last 2 weeks were 49 and 50 miles. Mostly at easy/moderate effort. Got stuck in 90+% humidity all last week so that was interesting. PF has stayed in check (not gone but slowly better). Got a little tightness in one calf after yesterday's LR (but this is not a new thing so expect it will be OK). I'm 15 wks out from my target marathon and am ready to add some subLT/MP stuff into the mix (niggles permitting). MLR/LR coming along. Last week got a 12, 10, and 15 miler in so should be able to get the distance part in...now just need the speed. Hoping the injuries will keep at bay. Have got a great group of Fizzies helping me out though. I'm 6 wks out from my last marathon and am finding it hard to get my full energy back (feel like I'm about 80% there). Definitely relying on recovery efforts to get through the weeks now and be fresh for the harder sessions. But each week getting my wind back a little more.

• Yes, a wonderful experience for local fans, Birch.  No doubt about it.  And your own delight shines through.  Like you though, I've been quite taken aback at the levels of Yorkshire enthusiasm and love for all things yellow.

I lived in Blackheath for a number of years and the marathon used to go right past my front door (about half a mile from the start line).  Not once did I ever get up early enough to watch it (I didn't know or care about running in those days) and neither did any of my friends or neighbours.  There was a general sense of apathy amongst non-sporty types.  Not quite the same thing, of course, as that was an annual event.  But still...

Maybe the clichés really are true and northerners are simply more open and welcoming than southerners?

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

"Maybe the clichés really are true and northerners are simply more open and welcoming than southerners" 

I think that is a cliché, TAR - I've done 12 VLM's and had plenty of southern accented encouragement hollered my way; similarly when I visited Scotland frequently in my younger days, I received much kindness and hospitality from those supposed meanies. I think we should just file the TDF mania under (and Poacher, I promise this is Monsieur Bouleau's final bit of Franglais), "Je ne Sais Quoi" !!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Hello. image

Injury/accident/depressing new age category etc etc have all kept me quiet.  I've had nothing much to report unless you're interested in the massive workload I've got through while 'resting' or the copious amounts of wine drunk. image

But things are starting to look up.  I will be completing the Coastal in a couple of weeks time as training for the TR24 the following weekend with MsE et al.  Poacher invited me to 'jog' around the Coastal with him in a time that would be a sprint for me....

Anyway, I'm full of cold and off work tomorrow so I'm going to have a massive read back and see what you've all been up to.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Jools - well done on 2nd place and PB - shame there was no-one to push on with and get that 10:4x.
    PMJ - since Roadrunner, I've not been able to do much consistent training for one reason and another. After this week, I'm going to be spending 2 or 3 weeks doing some shorter, faster stuff ending with a Magic Mile; then it's holiday time, so that will be the best part of a fortnight with no serious running at all, which should then leave me with about 7 weeks to re-focus on Mablethorpe.
    Poacher - very decent performance there.
    TAR - glad you enjoyed the local HM.
    VTR - sounds like you're making steady progress.
    Minni - really relieved to hear from you. Hope things start looking up soon.
    14 miler this morning - out in 1:02:29 and back in 59:59 for an average of 8:45 m/m.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes the competition tails when you reach V50, but then gradually it comes back at you. I was beaten into 3rd place by 2 guys at Tyndale who recently turned 50, both much faster than me. 

See you at the Coastal Minni...are you going to kick sand in my face?

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Some good racing, training and cycling going on; well done to winners, long runners, everyone who's out there and getting it done.

Good to see Minni back image

Sadly, I'm back on the bench with a recurrence of my quad strain. Thought I'd gotten away with it until 2 balls from the end of my spell on Saturday when it went again, so more icing, resting and I'll be swimming for the next couple of weeks with no running or cricket while I try to get it fixed. Very annoyed and wish I could be out there running!