10 k target time?

KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm after a little input. Novice runner (39 years old and on the larger side of overweight image) - been running for about 3 months.

I am taking part in a 10k on Sunday 13th July (2 weeks' time). 

I ran a 5k event in 33:25 last Sunday.

Yesterday my training programme (zero to 10k) reached an end and I completed a 10k training run in 1:12.55 (averaging 7:17mins per km). Pretty happy with that, my original target for the 10k event was 1hr15, so I'm already there !

Now I have 2 weeks to improve a little for the 10k event. I run every other day, so I have 6 more training runs before the big day, allowing for an additional rest day in the run-up to the Sunday event.

Medium-term, I'm aiming for a sub 1-hour at an event at the end of November, but does anyone have any thoughts, from the above times, as to what might be a good target time for me for the event in 2 weeks time? And what could I do in the next 6 training runs to improve my time a little more - do I keep doing 10k and try to do it faster, or perhaps some slightly shorter runs at a quicker pace to build up?

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Just run it and see what time you get, and then go from there image 

once you've got an official 10k time then look at things like the McMillan running calculator to help you work out what sort of speeds your different runs need to be to help squeeze your times down. 

Good luck. 

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

You cannot do anything now that will improve your time in 2 weeks, chances are if you try hard now then you will be either injured or exhausted, relax do some gentle running to keep loose, don't overdo it at all, and enjoy the anticipation that will build over the next 2 weeks.

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Thanks booktrunk, that seems like good advice image. Looking forward to the race, it's a bit of a serious event though - 400 runners, county championship event, but open to all, and it's a pretty fast course for the serious runners. My current 10k time would have put me about 390th place if I'd run last year's race - the only way is up from there I suppose image - I intend to start at the back and stay there and just run it at my pace !

• I'd slow down a bit.

There's a bevy of sexy nurses trying to get their hands on you, but you're too fast for them.

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Big-Bad-Bob wrote (see)

I'd slow down a bit.

There's a bevy of sexy nurses trying to get their hands on you, but you're too fast for them.

Ha ha, it's a reference to my running style - when I had the video gait analysis I described myself as "a bit Benny Hill" - not exactly a smooth olympic athlete running action image

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

thanks YiddBarmy - we'll see how it goes - 65 mins might be a bit ambitious, but if I do manage that I'll be ecstatic !

• I'd guess about 1:08 is possible. I'd do an interval session on each of the last two tuesdays, the last one a bit less extreme, plus a bit of a threshold session on the thursdays, a couple of easy runs in between, then maybe leave two days clear to be on the safe side. Possibly a gentle kit shakedown of max 5 km the day before.

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Thanks SteveC - I'm kind of doing something similar to your suggestion, a few shorter runs at a quicker pace, then a good rest before the actual race, so we'll see how it goes.

• B4lowB4low ✭✭

How did you get on? I also did my first 10k race on sunday, loved every minute of it.

Hope you enjoyed yours too.

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    It's this Sunday coming B4low. Getting excited now.

How did you get on in yours?
  • KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Just recovered this thread having lost it from my followed thread list, how rude of me !

If anyone's interested still, I did 1:10 in that first 10k race in July. Then I did 1:07 at another one in September. Last weekend I did 54 mins in a 5-mile xc race (same pace as the previous 10k, but off-road). I've got a 10k in November - target 1:00 to 1:05 - I've almost hit the 30-minute 5k in training, so I'm hoping I can get closer to the 1 hour 10k with a few more weeks of work and the race effect. I'm slow, but I get it done, and that's what matters.

Then I'm doing a half marathon i

n March and a marathon in May (exactly a year to the day that I did day 1 of the zero to10k programme). I'll be pretty blo**dy chuffed with myself then !

Oh, and I've lost almost 3 stone. 2 to go to the top end of the "ideal" bmi range - which is where I want to be when I run a marathon.

Onwards and upwards.

• Excellent. Congratulations, that's a great rate of improvement.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Well done fella. No holding you back is there?

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I wasn't fishing for compliments, but I'll take them ! Loads of inspiring stories on here to keep me going, hopefully I can do that for someone else.