Basic IT help needed please

I currently scan documents onto my desktop in TIFF format (my HP scanner has no other format), and then convert them to pdf files on a remote desktop. I will no longer have access to this soon, so will need to do this on my own desktop (windows 8).

I've seen plenty of free applications that offer to do this, but also win2pdf which charges a one off fee of £20. I also occasionally convert jpg files to pdf also.

Can anyone just advise me what's the best application to do this, I don't need it to do anything else. I'm not the best computer wise, as you may have gathered!

Thank you.

Comments

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

What version of office do you have if you have it at all as the latest version of word include the option to save as pdf so you could just stick anything you want into a word doc and then save that as a .pdf

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

look up cutepdf

It creates a 'virtual printer' that creates the pdf document so you open the image and once cutepdf is installed you then do file and print, and instead of printing it the cutepdf printer then asks you for a filename to save it.

http://www.cutepdf.com/

EDIT: don't of course set it as the default printer else you will get it trying to do this every time you print anything, but it's a pretty easy and painless way of doing it.

• bol saucebol sauce ✭✭✭

It's office 2013, recently purchased as my other was 2003. It's just that when I scan there's no option to save as other than a tiff file, so what you're saying is that if I save this then to my desktop (as I do now), then go in to file & print, I can then save it as a pdf document and into my client folder. I'll go have a look at it now. Thanks.

• bol saucebol sauce ✭✭✭

Perfect, thanks for your help.