Sub 3h15

Comments

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Nice to see MInni back (what is TR24)?
    Tough luck, Abbers . . . . .
    Gul - are you definitely aiming for Mable, or reviewing over the coming weeks before deciding?
    On the subject of marathon, just paid and confirmed my VOGIT GFA entry for VLM . .

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Birch - seems strange talking of VLM already!

1k in the pool at lunch. It's not the same as running, but it will have to do for now!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Abbers - Sorry to hear about your injury woes continuing. I too am on & off at the mo and just when I thought I had cracked it I will be back off again for another few days!image

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Abbers and Gerard- tough luck image

18 miles for me today with lots of hills , got stung by a wasp or a bee at about 3 miles in, heard a buzzzz then a sharp pain in my leg image , wasn't to bad just a bit annoying and wasn't for stopping today but found the run really tough and had ran out of steam long before the end . Then out for another 2 miles jog/walk with my six year old tonight , eased the leg pains a bit image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Abbers - sorry to hear the quad strain has returned.
    Birch - Mable is plan A, but I haven't entered yet. Nice one with the VOGIT GFA.
    GM - hope you're back off the bench very soon.
    Leslie - well done on the 18 miler inspite of the sting and nice way to do a double!
    4 mile recovery run for me this morning. Dog sitting again, so out three times and back before 6:30!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that Abbers and GM- what that about balls Abbers?

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

GM - sorry to hear that. Pass the ice pack!

Leslie - good miles bagged there though, despite the sting. My leg would have swollen up like a balloon if that had been me!

Gul - just the one dog, or multiples?

OO-51 - we have a 10 over limit per bowler in our league, and I was through more than 9 of them before I felt it tighten again. Very annoyed that I didn't manage it better and now subsequently have more time off both running and cricket, especially as I've been having a reasonable season up to now. Pretty much all of my injuries over the last couple of years have been muscle strains due to bowling, rather than anything running related (fall at VLM excepted). Must be getting old or something!

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Abbers - do you bowl spin, and if so can you go and join the England squad? Might need you this summer...

Walked past this place this morning and coincidentally the email pinged a few minutes later with GFA acceptance for London...spooky

/members/images/76130/Gallery/20140709_110225.jpg

Should be LM no 10 on the trot with any luck.

Congrats again on the VOGIT qual Birch, glasses will be raised to the Comeback Kid.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Poacher - no, military medium seamer, me! I'm thinking spin might be a better option. More longevity in that line of work, less stress on the body and a good spinner runs through sides in league cricket. Mind you, the pitches we play on are a little more responsive than those England play on!

Congrats on your GFA acceptance too.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I also confirmed my GFA 2015 today.

Unfortunately my streak of bad luck continues and my 'feeling unwell' turned into a very nasty chest infection. To avoid hospital I'm confined to bed and on steroids and double strength antibiotics. couldn't make it up!

Birch - TR24 is a 24 hour trail running event. The lap is 10k and it's as many in 24 hours as you can. I'm in a team with MsE, Carrot (she was on our Jantastic team), Brolish (Ant and Poacher may remember her from Chandos) and Mrs Moraghan. We've spent months planning and I'm determined not to miss it.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Minni - Sorry to hear your woes continue. I had a similar issue with a bad chest infection and it took a while to clear. Hopefully the rest will do you good.

Gul - Nice continued training and hope the hound is behaving!

Tough day here as I had some minor surgery to try and deal with a recurring nightmare of a problem that have been dealing with. I won't go Badbark style with the details but it involved a local anaesthetic and then a surgical blade. My screeches must have rid the waiting room of any patients as I lay there in some considerable discomfort. Short term fix for a potentially longer term fix that may involve some proper surgery. Anyhow I should be on the mend soon. It's frustrating as it's not a running injury per say, but to run in any shape or form you depend on a healthy body and I have been in sub optimal health physical so need to get that sorted before I can resume proper marathon training. As ever, for us who follow this pursuit, the clock is ticking.....

Congrats to all those who got their GFA entries sorted for VLM 15! Nice shot there Poacher of The Chandos. Never been, but hopeful that I will make an appearance in the not so distance future! Right, back to the WC!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Bad luck Minni- you are having an awful , hope you pull through in time for the Coastal- looking forward to my cuddle on the beach. And blimey GM, sounds medievil- were there leeches involved image.

I've got mt first ever track 5k on Saturday- no idea how to run it. Ant advice from experienced hands welcome. Hoping to beat my parkrun PB of 17:48.

• Blimey, we're a bunch of old crocks on here. I'm sidelined with a hip issue, which I'm hoping will go away fairly soon as I've no clue how to treat it. 

OO - best advice I can give is start off a lot more slowly than you think you need to. It's all too easy to run waaaay too fast on the first lap as it feels stupidly slow for some reason. Hang in there for 11 more laps at a sensible pace then cane the last 200m. If it's likely to be a spread out race they should advise you before hand if you are supposed to move out or stay put when being lapped, which is very useful info for both lapper and lappee. Just don't assume they can hear you coming though. If you're expecting the slower runner to move out you need to muster enough breath to shout 'track' as you come up behind. Many tracks have a random extra lane on the inside of the home straight. Do not step into this lane. It *should* be coned off if there is one, but you can't guarantee such things. 

Now, I know this might be a long shot, but does anyone fancy a bimble round the Dovedale Dipper on 10th August? 26.2 miles but nowhere near race pace. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Thanks Speedy- yes was worried I might go too quick

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Best wishes to Minni, Speedy and GM.

I'm now FV35 - gulp!  Day off work to help me cope...

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday - now go and clean up all those nice shiny V35 trophies

CC the Dipper is on Aug 3. Lovely part of Derbyshire.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Happy birthday Jools!image

OO - Good luck with your track 5,000. 85 second lap pace will get you that pb with a sprint in the last 200m. Will be interesting to see how you get on with the pacing. I have not done one either only ever did a 3,000m. Are there many doing it?

Feeling less tender today. Phew!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Abbers - just the one dog.
    Minni - get well soon.
    GM - hope you're recovering well from the surgery.
    Speedy - should be in France from 3rd August. Dovedale is lovely though.
    Jools - many happy returns.
    10 steady miles @ 7:49 m/m done at the usual time this morning, but no time to post till now.

• Gul, sounds like a good plan. I was worried you may LSR yourself into the ground and was going to suggest some summer sped followed by a short campaign but as you have it that way, as you were.

OO, track 5000m is all about the middle bit. You will start way too fast for sure over the first 200 or 400 metres and you will also have someting left in the tank for the last lap, so getting into your planned speed forthe middle bit and sticking to it is the plan. To be honest, one will be tough. I find that I pick a time and either hit it or miss it. If I hit it, I choose a pace a bit faster the next time. I think Jools does the same over 3000 and PBs by fractions of a second each go.

5k on Tuesday and 18:50 with legs that felt like cardboard. Seem to be tired each day and no obvious reason why, mileage is about 40 a week from 6 tuns so should be cruising. I reckon it is the driving I have done recently, lots of long days at the wheel moving kids round the country.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Blimey, Gerard !!  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    Minni, too - healing vibes on their way  . . . .

Jools "FV35 - gulp"!   Get a grip !! you're merely a nipper !image  ---
    Enjoy your day, and your celebrations, whatever form they take  . . . .

Poacher - 10 consecutive LMs will be a notable landmark.  Should I make it to the Mall will be LM no 13, but dating from 1988 . . . .
    Seemed a long way off this morn as I laboured around a 5 mile fartlek  . . . .

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the advice folks.Yes 85 secs per lap seems about right- I'll try not to go off too mad. I think it's a small field. Two from my club, the other guy will go around 16:00 so I'm in danger of being lapped. I'm also doing Keswick parkrun the same morning, hoping to pace junior to a new PB- not sure that will help me much.

Congrats Jools. Just think of the new income stream, with all that V35 prze money you are going to win image

I did a 10k last week PMJ after sitting on planes and trains all day- I'm sure you are right that it damaged my race form.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

OO - the pacing duty may help - my son's local parkrun asked him to perform a pacing role of sub-20 as part of their 1st anniversary a few weeks back; he came thru' in 19:58, then after a 40 mile car journey he set a 17:02 PB on the track that afternoon. Just make sure junior doesn't make you go too quickly  . . . . 

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Minni - you're having a rough time of it. Hope the drugs and enforced rest do the trick. You deserve a spell of being fit!

GM - sounds most unpleasant. Hope you recover quickly.

CC2 - what's the problem with your hip then? Is this a new thing, or an old niggle returned?

Jools - many happy returns image

Gul - good steady 10. Very jealous of those being able to run at the moment!

00-51 - not sure if a track 5000 sounds like fun or not. Be interesting to see how you go though, as your 5k times are always impressive.

PMJ - sounds a decent ime on tired legs, although I know it's not up to your usual pace.

Birch - stick at it! 13 Londons is a very impressive CV.

Another 1k in the pool at lunch. Leg improving, but I've been here before about 2 weeks ago, so won't be doing any running for another week at least.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Thanks all for the well wishes. I will be right as rain in a few days time. Luckily I  heel very quickly. Still a bit tender today but another couple of days of rest and I should be ok to run againimage.

Went down to watch the local 10k tonight and gutted I couldn't do it as there were prizes for 1-6th! Last year I came 4th in 40:xx and reckon could have walked away with a bottle of rouge for my endeavours. The winner romped home in 32:xx, 2nd in 36:xx, 3rd 36:xx and fourth in 38:xx. 5th was 41:xx. It was a poor turnout and the conditions were testing with a strong headwind on the way out & hot on the way back. Was nice to chill and see the runners coming in, all of them looking like they had stopped for a shower along the route.

Birch - Your young lad is quick! Nice to see you passed on those athletic genes. God knows what happed to me as my old man ran his 5k pb in 14:5x. Does your son run many races?

Abbers - Nice swimming and continued patience with your recovery. It will pay off in the long term.

Jools - I turned 40 this year and when I was 35 I had not even given running a thought other than when I was dreaming of when I used to be into sport as a younger man. Your best years of running are ahead of you. Hopefully you will have suitable celebrations this weekend!

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Minni, GM, CC2, and Abbers.  Healing vibes coming your way. Hope recovery is speedy.

Happy Bday Jools! Doubt you'll lose anything in your 35th year. But Bdays started to lose their appeal for me on the other side of 35! I'll inch up to 41 later this month.

Couple of visits to the Fizz team this week. Lots of interesting critiques of my running. Right leg dominant (literally, my right calf and thigh are much bigger than left), heel striker, low cadence, wrong shoes (need neutral, not support), and the list goes on. Clearly a few things I can work on to become a better (and less injury prone) runner. Pilates is a next step in their plan. We'll see how my totally inflexible frame responds!

Feeling pretty good overall this week. Did my first subLT this week (ended up as a subLT/LT as I did in 89 degree heat and humidity). But dialed in 6:55 m/m over 5M in the heat and it felt pretty comfy. So good to get a start (finally) on the LT stuff. Since then did 11 and 7 M runs. Planning another short subLT tomorrow and a LR on the weekend. Energy levels much improved this week. Getting there w/my recovery.

• Happy Birthday Jools!

Yes, I did mean August 3rd, got my weekends muddled. 

No clue what's wrong with my hip. It started hurting on Sunday during my warm up and hasn't stopped hurting since. It's very clunky and feels like it needs someone to shove it back into place.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I can recommend a giant Cuban who can do that for you, Speedy...

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Thanks Birch- not sure I'll make 17:02 though image

4 miles on the beach done and dusted. 4 miles skipping with my nordic poles later.

How long does 1k in the pool take you Abbers- surprised you don't do a longer distance.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Hope the bench is empty one of these days soon.
    7 easy miles, with some tomato plant watering in the middle at the in-laws and a dog walk afterwards.

• I spent ages trying to work out Gul's euphemism, before I realised that he really did mean watering the tomato plants.

Happy birthday, Jools.

Minni, GM et al - stop being ill.

The Ullswater mile on Sunday will be my first ever open-water event.  The target is to reach the halfway point before the winner crosses the finish line.  I think it's going to be close.