Sub 3h15

Comments

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Happy (belated) Birthday Jools!

Best and worst pressie?

What a ragtag bunch of injured folk.

Im tapering now so feeling good for a change!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Jools-35 now should be good for prize monies at races image

00-51- 2 races in one morn that's greedy image

Vt- that's a big list , what do they know anyway,just run  image

8x800m last night with recoveries at 8min/mile again to build some enduranceimage , was 19c at 7;30pm which is hot for 'ere and was sweating buckets , pace 6;30m/m ,little bit bit sore today though .

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

GM - shame you had to miss the race, but good news that you're recovering well.

VTR - well, fix all that and you should be flying! image Nice 5 miler.

OO-51 - I don't time it, just swim, making up the 1k in different ways, i.e. 2 x 500, 4 x 250, etc. depending on how much effort I put in. I'm not a regular swimmer, so my swimming fitness is building slowly, and would do more, but get a bit bored to be honest. I like swimming as a change and a bit of variety; not so keen on doing it multiple times each week! Will try to do more distance next week, and time it so I have a reference point.

Gul - good use of the chores to get some miles in.

TAR - good luck in Ullswater; deep & cold! Are you Lakes-based, or visiting?

SJ - what's coming up for you?

Leslie - good reps.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Gerard -  he's 26 ! He runs for his club - local road league, xc, track league. Not a prolific road racer, has done 2 or three half mara.A new job will bring him back up here in a few weeks, so this Sunday me and his sister will join him in his local 10K as a sort of "running farewell" to his current location. btw, your dad was pretty speedy !

TAR - serious respect (and good wishes) for the aquatic venture. 
    Speedy - sorry about the hip problem - hope it's soon sorted.

• Literatin - tell me more about the giant Cuban. I'm confined to the house again as running yesterday really didn't help matters.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Here you go. I trust him 100% and if he thinks you need proper clicking into place by someone with different expertise he will always say so rather than doing anything dodgy.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

TAR I'm doing the 2.4mile swim at Ullswater. I'll keep an eye out for you. Will you be wearing a pink carnation?

Abbers, Outlaw in a fortnight - excited already. image 

• What a swizz.  Just as I'm starting to appear all macho by swimming a mile in a freezing lake, somebody comes along and out-Alphas me.

Slokey - You're testing my patience now.  If you complete your 2.4 miles before I've finished my measly one mile, then I will be seriously upset with you. 

Just visiting, Abbers.  It's my favourite place to publicly embarrass myself.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

I'm just doing it as a warm up for Outlaw TAR and then running for 16 miles afterwards. Does that make it worse? Tapering is fun!

• Thanks Lit, I've managed to get in tomorrow with the guy I used to see regularly when I had money, but if that doesn't fix it I'll give the Cuban a call.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sounds like a fair dose of pain will be dished out whoever you go to Speedy image  

I would be terrified swimming out into a big expansive lake TAR- go on you for courage.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Nice swim in the ocean tonight, think I managed 50m! Should be good for a jog tomorrow.image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the 5k tomorrow OO and to junior with her pb attempt.

Have a nice splash in the water tomorrow boys.

Speedy - hope you get that hip clicked soon.

I've got an appointment with a consultant regarding my own hip on Thursday. Very annoying that I won't have been running prior to seeing him to check it still hurts!

2 weeks till Thunder Run. 1.5 mile walk with the dog tonight led to a 2 hour sleep after....
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    We need more details about The Cuban....

Minni - the Coastal Run awaits...

A double today, 10.3m + 6.3m. The filling in the sarnie was planting cabbages and pruning recurrants.

TAR - huge respect, in advance though. You have to bring it home now.

Gm you get to train in some really lovely places
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

TAR - good luck on Sunday! Watering the tomato plants would make a good euphemism for something or other, I'm sure.
    Leslie - nice reps.
    Poacher - nice double and gardening cross-training.
    Overslept this morning and not out until a shameful 4:37am. Cut short LSR to 16 miles (12 @ 9m/m-ish and 4 @ 8m/m-ish). First breakfast and dog walk d&d. Now ready for second breakfast.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul - Do you normally have two breakfasts or do you just call them that because of the ungodly hours you eat them at?!image 

The weather is lovely out there, looking forward to going out when I get my act together.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

4:37!  Shameful indeed.

3.5hrs of bike pootling complete. Lovely day for it. 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - How did you & junior get on?

Anyone else racing this weekend?

Pain free double run for me today. 5k this morning @ 8:02mm pace. Bit hung-over but glad I went out. 10k this evening @ 7:20mm pace. Strong headwind on the way out and calm and very warm on the way back. Hoping to get out tomorrow for a 16 miler. Good to be back running again.image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

That's good news GM.  Don't overdo it though.

I've really noticed a difference since moving to IM training over the last 2 years and have been able to train consistently (this campaign is at week 38 of gradual building) without injury or illness (apart from the arthritic hip which is chronic problem but is still manageable with a multi-sport approach and a shed load of tablets).

Pure marathon training had me on the bench every 6-8 weeks with frequent illness. I've really noticed others' injuries on the thread which come thick and fast (apart from the odd lucky so and so).

I wonder if for the mere mortals amongst us there is more value in a compromised approach and taking the gains in long term consistency rather than an all out P&D style intense campaign.

Just a thought.

Who here has followed a pure running training programme and stayed uninjured for the past 12 months?

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SJ - Thanks and yes I am mindful that I need to be careful. Tomorrow will be an easy one.

That's an interesting question for the thread SJ. I've done two marathons and neither of my training campaigns were injury free. In fact as soon as I got going i.e. about 4-6 weeks into training it went wrong. The 1st was a PF related issue which cropped up when I did more mileage, that seems to be under control now. The 2nd was my knee and Achilles which saw me out for 4 weeks. One of my colleagues at work who is 43 but now a retired runner, he had hip surgery and it didn't fix his problem and has not run for 2 years. He however is probably fitter than ever and uses a versa climber and cycles an eliptigo bike which I believe Meb Keflizighi and other US elite's use it to top up their mileage. Meb is nearly 40 and by his own admission, says he can no longer sustain the high mileage and remain injury free. I heard Andy Vernon uses the Eliptigo bike as well. I am definitely considering doing some cross training in the future, not for this marathon as I have a lot on my plate at the mo in my personal life and running is all I can fit in. Glad to hear that your training is going well. I will probably do some triathlons in a couple of years time as there are a lot of events here and with the sea on my doorstep there's no excuse!

• SlokeyJoe wrote (see)

Who here has followed a pure running training programme and stayed uninjured for the past 12 months?

Not 12 months for me, but I'm 4 weeks into a second P+D 18 week/ 50mpw campaign now and feeling good. (The first one started late December of 2013.) I missed one week last cycle due to a combination manflu/calf niggle.

I'll (almost) invariably do the distances, but if I'm just feeling rubbish, I'll back off on the intensity. I've also resolved to run my recovery runs really easy this campaign, which is tragically boring, but I thought it was worth trying...

I'm trying to be better about getting enough sleep, which is tough for me personally, as I seem to do much better with 8hrs+, and I have to get up at 5am to get morning runs in.

Ask again in December to see if I've managed to stay uninjured. (I'll probably have jinxed myself by saying all this!)

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

I've been away for a while and am glad to read that OO is still fast over 5k, that Minni is determined to do her Thunder Run and that Poacher is enjoying a tasty sandwich.

There's nothing like a bit of cross training talk to bring me out of the Furman closet! I've followed their plan since 2008 after many knee problems and 2 knee ops. One runners absolute times probably don't count for much, but following the Furman plan properly has kept me running and injury free for 6 years. In that time I've run marathon times from 3:05 to 3:14. Your question is very pertinent Slokey. Marathon prediction tools and charts invariably give me a quicker marathon time based on shorter distances, but they don't take into account the injury factor. Even with moderate running miles (anything more than about 40 mpw) the old pains return and the injury bench beckons. So I keep to 35 mpw max and bike the rest. Incidentally, Minni started a great little thread for the Furman plan, which unfortunately fizzled out.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

I Think I got just over 12 months up to may this year with only minor injuries , both of my 2 mara campaigns involved hamstring pulls , the first one was much worse but far enough out to sort the last one this year was 3 weeks out and ruined my mara  .Both were caused by pushing myself too hard/too often ....image

Would still follow P&D type sessions though and running only for now but I might be a slow learner  image 

52 miles for the week image

• I googled. Google is evil. My symptoms are exactly what t'internet describes for a hip labrum tear. If this is right I can write off the whole of the rest of the year.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Oh dear Speedy. Get a scan pronto. Hope it's not as bad as it sounds for you.

Matches my symptoms too and having looked it up feel a bit irritated that my surgeon didn't suggest a scan to see if I have the same thing. If so, it could be fixed and prevent any more damage to the joint. The bugger just looked at my xray, shrugged at me and said I needed a new hip. Lazy git. Second opinion required methinks. 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Speedy - I do hope you're wrong. Stay away from google prognosis, it is, as you say, evil!

Leslie - Nice mileage and that's what I am aiming at with maxing out at 65mpw. But that remains to be seen.

Rennur - I get you about the easy recovery runs being boring but boring is good, generally speaking.image

Fishy1 - I have no idea who or what what Furman is, pardon my ignorance but I will be looking it up. Thanks for that.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

I very rarely get a click Speedy, but the stiffness and radiating pain are a constant with sharp pain on any kind of lateral rotation.

i know the damage is already done based on my X-rays but..... a bit more enthusiasm and effort from the surgeon might identify a tear which could be fixed and slow the damage down. Right now I don't know if I've got 1 month, a year or 2 years of running left in me. I'd like a bit more investigation into whether that could be extended.

Get the best treatment that you can Speedy!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Right, off for a swim and a run round the lake.

TAR, I think my event finishes first so I'll be the one running round in white Hokas whilst you are swimming. Good luck fella.