The Middle Ground

Comments

• CB – reminds me of when I tried to break 18 minutes. First attempt was a disaster, I got nowhere near it, had a bad day, headache, overheated, all kinds, just not right on the day, but knew I was in shape for the job. I went out in a better frame of mind and a better race and smashed it two weeks later. Sometimes it just doesn’t happen, put it down to experience, you know you are in shape for the sub 20

Good news Andrew and Alehouse.

Consolidation Wardi!!!

Schoolboy DT, cant you sneak out to the pub? I fancy the French to do the Germans (at the football I mean……….image)

Rest on Wednesday, 12 and a bit miles yesterday and intervals planned for tonight + a bit of an impromptu bike ride for me at lunchtime. A few folks from work were cycling down to the TdF fan park on the Stray in Harrogate, so borrowed a fold up bike and joined them. I got a free beer and almost bought my boy a team Sky jersey until I saw the price, £50, for a toddler size top!!!!!
    Rip off merchandise aside the place is buzzing!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Tr- I have pondered all day over the results and my dream team set up. I had a heavy French influence and one German. I don't trust the French to not bottle so I have one of each now with a heavy Dutch and argie representation!

Cycling gear is obscenely expensive. A team sky adult Rafa top is about 130 quid. I'm not prepared to pay that so I buy mine from Chinese sites. I've got last years team sky kit including bib shorts for £27 delivered. Means I can afford to buy a new one each year if I want. 

• Fair point about the French, but I think Pogba & Cabaye are better than the German centre-mid and Benzima is on good form. Should be a good match anyway, I hope it's as open as some of the other matches I have seen.

• The French were poor, shows what I know about Football!
  • Tough interval session tonight, 6 x 2:30 with 90 recovery. Splits: 5:14/mi, 5:16/mi, 5:19/mi, 5:18/mi, 5:24/mi, 5:32/mi

No really up for it before I set off tbh, but started to enjoy the session until the last two reps, legs just went and I couldn't hold the pace, they went completely with a minute to go on the last rep. Still a good chunk in the hurt box that will help with 5k races down the line.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, stick to the running and leave the make believe international football management to others;-)

Nice session. I sometimes think it does you good to endure a session you don't enjoy.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

10k went OK this end. Watch read 40.44. Last year was 41.10 but they added about 150m on this year by moving the finish line on into park. Happy with that based on how races have gone and shouldd give my runbritain handicap a decent boost. Whilst there was a nice bit of downhill there was an equal amount up which I lost more on than I gained going down. Felt like a consistent effort as well in that there was no hanging on for life in last k or two. No trouble with leg either. 

Will probably have a decent crack at Wednesdays 10k though forecast is quite windy.

• Hey DT, I have credentials, I took Leeds to Champions League glory on Championship Manager once!
    Anyway, sounds like a really promising effort at the 10k. Faster time, longer course and not hanging on at the end, more to come by the sounds of it. Good news on the leg n’all.

3.8m yesterday after an incredible day watching the Tour up in the Dales yesterday with 14m at 6am this morning with another day watching the tour set off in York. I’m a rather proud, if slightly sun-burnt Yorkshireman at the moment.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I did specify make believe international football TR. Virtual club football is easyimage

Fair play, the bits of the tdf I caught looked fantastic. At one point today bbc1 was showing Wimbledon, bbc2 the f1 and ITV the tdf. Just as well it was a world cup down day. 

I'm thinking of getting some decent running sunglasses. I think tr and duck discussed this a few weeks back. What was outcome? Looking to spend up to 75 but if something worthwhile was about would move towards 100?

I'm hoping today gives my rb rating a nice jump. Its had a pasting this last 8 months with far less races and those I've done being poor. Not really sure how to plan this weeks training. With 10ks wed and Saturday thinking just recovery runs in between. 

• Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

DT – Well done on the 10k, sounds like a good effort.

TR – My brother works at North Yorks Council and was the lead person doing all the organisation around it. Think he’s mighty relieved it’s all done!  

I had an easy weekend with tomorrows race in mind. A hungover 10 on Sat and a rest day yesterday. Felt very strange not running on a Sunday!

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    DT19 wrote (see)

I buy mine from Chinese sites. I've got last years team sky kit including bib shorts for £27 delivered. Means I can afford to buy a new one each year if I want. 

Which site is this?

Good run there DT ... always nice to see improvements from the previous year.

Well done on getting in the long run TR despite TdF ... mine is delayed until today.I spent 3-4 hours hiking to Holme Moss from Snailsden, so didn't fancy an early morning long run as well. Superb weekend - what a great advert for Yorkshire and what a privilege to have it on our doorstep.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Try the below, I have used them for a  couple of kits now and pretty reliable. The team sky kit with bib shorts is currently 36 dollars so about £25. I got last years team sky kit and had it over a year and in fine condition. I would caveat that (having also paid good money for an original version of bib shorts) that the padding is not quite as good. Size wise as well they are fairly consistent with real cyclying tops ie any full grown normal adult wont touch a small or medium! I am large in top and medium shorts.

www.bicycling-monton.com

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Cheers DT - tempted, although my cycling skills don't really warrant a Team Sky kit.  image

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

i tend to wear the bib shorts a lot more than the tops as i can turn up to spin in those as well.

• Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Interesting 5 mile race tonight. Time of 29.30 was a bit dissapointing but I took some decent scalps, finishing ahead of people who are usually a fair way ahead of me. Will be interesting to do some PO10 stalking once results are out. I did notice I finished more or less level with second lady who is usually way ahead of me and has a sub 36 10k to her name this year. Was pretty warm and windy and the course is twisty on the way out which is something of a momentum killer. So all in all I think a pleasing nights work.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Sounds pretty good to me MrV in terms of beating people!

Back running now after 9 weeks off, but taking it very cautiously. Lost a lot of fitness over the last 9 weeks.

On a different note, I have two spare tickets for Commonwealth Hockey on Thursday 24th at 7.00, cost price, £15 each if anyone knows of anyone who wants them. Son can't go and it is before I arrive in Bonnie Scotland.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Mr V, Sounds like a decent outing last night. If everyones times were down but yours by less then it has to be pleasing.

Glad to see you on your way back again Alehouse.

Had physio again lunchtime. He says ive responded very well to first session and one more next week should hopefully do it in terms of weekly appointments.

10K again tonight. Following a couple of days cycling/spinning, the legs feel pretty clear from sunday. Its much breezier tonight than sunday. Course profile is a bit different also in that first 5k is from memory quite downhill and second 5k uphill so may need to go off a little less cautiously than i did sunday.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Grrrrrr ....... plantar fasciitis pain ..... mumble, mumble, grumble, grumble

Falling apart ..... time to see a physio/gait analyst I think ......

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

This maybe an obvious consideration, but what is your daily stretch and maintenance programme? I quite probably spend 20-30 minutes a day performing various stretches and foam rolling starting with my feet, worrking up lowers legs through glutes, back, arms, shoulders etc.

I never used to do anything near that but realised as I ran more and got faster that it was 30 minutes well spent.

• Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Alehouse - Good to see you back. Hopefully fitness doesn't take long to come back.

DT - Good luck tonight and glad to hear niggles seem to be on the way out. I used to loads of stretching and rollering and now I do virtually nothing. I think if stuff feels tight then stretch/roller/self massage it otherwise its a waste of time. I certainly don't bother to stretch as part of a routine/after runs anymore and I've noticed no difference whatsoever.

After seeing official results from yesterday I feel pretty happy with my performance considering the people I finished close to. RunBritain gives it a 1.1 difficulty rating and -0.5 for my performance which backs up that it was probably a pretty decent run.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

DT19.. you mentioned sunglasses.  I've worn Oakleys for running & cycling for over 10 years now, wouldn't buy anything else.  Lenses are top quality, plus they are so comfortable you tend to forget you've got them on after a mile or so.  I tend to go for the bronze lenses as they are good in both strong sun and cloudy conditions.  They are expensive at RRP but have a look through this lot - I think they must be cancelled orders & the like, I got my last pair from there with about 1/3rd off.  Good luck tonight BTW.

http://www.eyewearoutlet.co.uk/oakley-m1

Andrew.. sorry to hear that, you're not having much luck lately.

Alehouse.. all the best with the comeback.

Mr V.. nice 5 miler there.

42.35 for 10k last night, about 3 seconds quicker than a similar flat course 4 weeks ago so I'll take it.  I seem to be better at 5k's than 10k's these days, not sure why - still, happy to be half decent at any distance at my age!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Wardi- thanks for that, will have a good look tomorrow. Well done on 10k.

Mr v- yes I know a lot of people who don't and are fine, so its a matter of working out what suits. I know for me it really helps.

Came in 40.26 tonight. Pretty happy with that given I raced Sunday and it was an undulating course. I seem to be coming in about 45 seconds faster than same races last year. I definitely feel by how I run on flat in these two races that if I found a flat 10k I would be sub 40. Two days recovery then the hardest of the three 10ks on Saturday.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

DT - nice race image Good luck on Saturday too.

I don't have a specific daily stretching routine, but I do certainly do plenty of stretches before and after running (usually a walk and then some dynamic stretches before a run and then some static stretches and foam-rollering afterwards) and also once a week have a cross training session in the gym which includes some strengthening exercises and weights as well as bike work. So I think the cause of these injuries must be my bio-mechanics and how I actually run. Not sure there is an easy way to fix that though. I thought it was heel landing which was maybe causing my knee pain, so have tried as best as possible to land more midfoot or front foot, and just as the knee pain is going, so comes the heel pain! I feel like giving in - maybe my body is trying to tell me something image

• Nicely done 10k DT, hope Sunday goes well! By then you will be into the 10k groove for sure.

10k HR for me is about 175-180, I have actually only done 2 10ks with a HRM on but based off a HM HR of ~173 it would make sense.

TR, you are doing some good sessions right now. Do you think the marathon fitness is coming through? Your strength is looking good.

Very jealous of all you at TDF. A guy I worked with was down ans I was amazed at the speed as the peloton went past. It really does put us mere mortals in our place!

Mr V - that's an interesting club session, may suggest that at some point.

Ended up with 78M last week with 16 on Sunday - overall coped well with 70/75/71/78 mile weeks so am having a recovery week now... naturally I feel exhausted, every run is a grind and HR is through the roof. 

I have Diamond League tickets for Saturday PM, so am doing Camperdown parkrun (Dundee) on the way down in the morning. It's a very tough course so ideal for a hard run with no time pressure.

In other nice - exciting time for the household as August 7th Aberdeen AAC are putting on a Master's mile event. Mum has run 5:16 for 1500m this year (5:39 mile) and the V55 UK Record is 5:53.7 so there is a good chance of the record falling to her.

• Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

DT - Well done on the race. You seem to be running well at the moment. How are you finding the coaching so far?

Duck - Cracking block of mileage that. Are you sure you don't have a secret marathon planned image Will be very interesting to see what results come off the back of it.

Session of 6x4 minutes with the club tonight. Pace for each block was 5.39, 5.42, 5.41, 5.45, 5.47, 5.34. Slight tailwind on way out and headwind on way back. Was still feeling very comfortable on last rep so kicked on a little. So essentially 24 minutes of work at an average of 5.41 pace.

• Heh, no marathon planned I promise!

Brief post as am on phone. 18.36 today at Camperdown for 2nd and course pb by 23s. Good to blow the cobwebs away.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Duck- good result today. Decent prize? Best of luck to your mum.

Mr v, I'm really enjoying it. I'm not an imaginative person so the schedule is mixing things up beyond what I would. I'm up to 3x 15 min threshold this week.  Good session above.

Final 10k of the weeks trilogy tonight. Very hilly course as I well know as it was my 4th try at it. It was also very sticky and humid. Came in at 41.44 for a course best by 15 seconds from last year. Slightly disappointed not to have beat it by more but it says plenty that I'm disappointed with 41.xx time now.

The course record of 32 min, done by a sub 2.30 marathoner was beaten by two minutes. The Malawian marathon team turned up as they have been training in Worcester. On that course in a small local 10k, that record will last for a long long time. 

I've now got a decent 10 week block of trading before my next race. I am hoping these three 10ks alone will give a decent fitness boost. 

• Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

DT – Sounds like a good effort there. The third big effort in a short space of time is never easy, especially when you know its not a PB course. Good luck with the 3x15…. What’s next in 10 weeks time?

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

DT - you're going well. That's a good collection of 10Ks you've put together now.

Duck - great mileage and a good hilly parkrun. Good luck to Mother Duck at the mile record in August.

MrV - good session! Feel tired just reading it.

I managed 15.3M yesterday with 10.2M at MP which came out as 7:42/m for 79% maxHR ... quite happy with that at this stage. A consistent 35 mpw over the last 6 weeks, with a similar amount on the bike through commuting... need to start pushing up the mileage though as August has an 18 and a couple of 20s scheduled.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Runbritain gave saturday a 2.0 which as a pure road race is the hardest rated race I have run. Lat year it was 1.2.

I have startford big 10k on 14 september. I did 39.50 last year so was 3 secs off a pb, then I have the notts robin hood half on 28 september.

Dr Dan, are you following p and d closely or is this a hybrid? I know you were going to swap out the interval stuff.