Have you ever been in a fight?

I had 3 in one year, about 8 years ago.  Was a bad year for me.

1- Fight at work.  His fault.  Tried to calm it down, because I was worried he'd get us the sack.  Definite second prize.

2- With a mate.  He calmed it down.  Just about saved friendship.  Took him for an expensive steak meal to appologise.  100% my fault.

3- Bloke provoked me after parking bump.  The only 'proper' fight of the three.  He didn't get a punch in.  The only one of the 3 I 'wanted'.

None since, but came close with a neighbour 4 years ago.

How about you?  There has to be punching for it to count.  Arguments and pushing don't count image

Comments

• BTW, I'm not a fighter.  I'm a gentle person.  Really.  Butter wouldn't melt in my mouth image

• Lots I used to box, I was rubbish though did it mostly for fitness and didn't have the fighting instinct needed to win a bout.
  • No, but I did hit the bloke who sexually assaulted me.

• He was on a bike - he took off.

A friend of mine broke the jaw of the bloke that tried to mug her - that was particularly cheering image

She was quite a big woman so there would have been some weight behind that punch...

• Yidd- I get the same assumptions.

Scream- Good for you, for fighting back.  I remember reading that women who attempt to fight back, recover phsychologically quicker from sexual assault, because they didn't accept it.

• I was annoyed more than scared to be honest with you.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Just sounds like you have anger problem that need sorting Y.

Good for you Screama.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Being only 5' 4" (I've shrunk), the idea of some other guy taking me on in a fight would be ludicrous. He'd never live it down.

For this reason I have been able to move through areas of conflict unnoticed.

🙂

• I've thrown one punch in my life, about 6 years ago on the way home from a club at around 6 in the morning. A guy pushed things to far with my then girlfriend and even when she was clearly upset he didn't take the hint. I pretty much knocked him out cold which was a surprise... He was with a mutual friend who texted me the next day to say that the guy had been so out of order with countless people that night that he was amazed no one had done it earlier.

Oh and ive been beaten up bad enough to end up in hospital but not sure that counts as a fight as it was unprovoked and I never got a punch in!

• tonyp2604tonyp2604 ✭✭✭

I believe in avoiding violence unless necessary for self-defence. I used to have a bit of a temper which I am sure I inherited from my dad (as well as being brought up in a family where shouting was the norm). I got CBT a few years ago and am much calmer and less stress - running has also helped loads. At the end of the day I don't go looking for trouble and I won't supply it to those who are looking for it but will take necessary and proportionate action if I/family/close friends are threatened.

• @YiddBarmy I used to live in Brum and I was on my way home from a New Year party 20 odd years ago when I got jumped by 2 guys for no reason other than having long hair. Luckily for me I was with 2 girls and less than a minute's walk from a house party full of friends so the alarm got raised quickly and the 2 aggressors got a real kicking. I was comparitively lucky, lost a front tooth, loads of stitches in my mouth and loads of bruises to my face and chest but the bruises showed that the cowardly fuckers stamped on my face (i could even tell what make shoes he wore thanks to the bruise!) so it could have been a lot worse. 

• Kittenat that reminds me of a night out in London a few years ago and waiting for a tube at earls Court. It was late at night and around 30 people were on the platform. A couple were having a domestic, it appeared that they'd been on a date and he must have paid but was arguing with her that he wouldn't have if he'd known he wasn't getting an invite back to hers! Most people were ignoring it, I was one of a few people that was keeping an eye on it as it looked like it was going to get nasty. Anyway the bloke tries to grab her bag at which point I'm  about to intervene when this tiny guy walks over taps him on the shoulder, the aggressor told him to fuck off at which point the tiny guy punches him in the face hard enough to knock him over. He's pretty much at my feet and started to get back up, unluckily for him I was in my DM's and kicked him in the stomach leaving him on the floor winded. At that point thankfully the tube pulled in. Not one person checked on the woman. most people were just ignoring it

• KK- that's the culture of our times.  We've become more concerned with ourselves and have less of a connection with what each other are going through.

In February, I had a bike accident at speed.  It probably looked quite nasty.  There were several cars on each side of the road.  Did they stop to make sure I was ok?  Nope.  They drove over the broken bits of my bike whilst I was still performing my body checks.  As far as they could see, I was laying down on the ground, not moving very much, but they were MUCH more concerned with reaching their destination than checking on another human being and possibly saving my life.

I was more upset with that, than the crash.  Luckily, someone off of a motorcycling forum picked up my bike, which went a LONG way to restoring my faith in my fellow man.  

I do feel that real bikers will help each other out.  They are a dying breed.

• I went without a bike for 4 years or so.  One ride and I promised that would never happen again.  That said, the week just gone was the first one back on a bike since the crash.

I can appreciate your hubby being there (bet he's one of the emergency services), but it's regular people who AREN'T doing it as part of their job I'm talking about.  None of the people who drove around my lifeless body had it in their job contract that they must help someone in need.  

I know where they're coming from- they have so much to do and they're so focused on it that they are used to ignoring distractions.  

• I know what you mean.  I've been a first aider at work, but in the end, the course I did was so rubbish, I lost faith in what they taught me being good enough to use in an emergency, so stopped doing it.  

That was about 5 years ago and we haven't had a first aider since image

• Notwithstanding fighting back, especially in the case of being sexually assaulted, but I'm surprised how many people seem to feel violence is an appropriate response to verbals. It's not. 

• I have been in three fights. I defused one incident between a man and a woman in my street one night - the bloke was quite aggressive but calmed down after a while. On the same year, I was involved in a pretty tense verbal with a random bloke who pushed my friend and me in the street one night - he tried to get help from two black guys who told him to belt up and go home, which he did. I was also attacked by a very large mentally ill woman in a tube carriage on my way to work one morning - an middle aged slight gentleman in a suit confronted her somehow managed to drive her off the carriage. Some people do care image