Mind Over Matter/Matter Over Mind

Hello,

I'm brand new to this forum, I don't have anybody I can talk to or ask about running so I hope you don't mind helping me image

I started a 10k training programme about a month ago, interval training, gradually increasing the intervals over time etc. I've been doing well and really enjoying it, today my running intervals went up to ten minutes before a walking recovery period. I'm finding that my body can handle the runs just fine, I've focused on stabilising my breathing so that is fine too, my trouble is my brain. I had only four minutes of the last ten minute run left this morning and my mind just couldn't do it, I've tried music, and watching movies, and listening to audio books, but I'm really struggling to get my head in the game.

I suppose it's just boredom, but it really getting in my way and when I don't finish my run I get really down for the rest of the day.

What do people do to keep their minds focused? To just keep going until it's over?

I wish I could cut my head off, but I hear decapitation is a major roadblock in continuing with life... :-/

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks,

Christina.

Comments

• I'm assuming that you're running on a treadmill?  (you mention watching movies).

My advice would be to get outside and run.  Running on a treadmill for any length of time is mind numbingly boring, so I'm not surprised you can't get your head in the game.

As for keeping my mind focused, most of the time I actually try not to - my mind wanders all the time whilst I'm out running, admiring scenery one minute, thinking about what I'm having for tea the next, then planning what I need to do at work the next day etc etc...

• It sounds to me like you're doing this on a treadmill ... ?  have you tried outside, it really is a very different experience.

• Lol pudge - your post suddenly appeared as I posted! image

• I would love to be able to run outside but I live in an undisclosable location overseas, it's about 50 degrees at 11am amd extremely dusty, I just can't breathe out there!

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

So basically you get bored and cannot be bothered... Errrr woman up and just get on wih it, count up to 1,000,000 do whatever you want, just keep on plodding, i'm sorry but you cannot keep your mind focused is rubbish you are just bored and cannot cope with 10 minutes of chilling. Just relax and run. It's not brain surgery......

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Gretel wrote (see)

I suppose it's just boredom, but it really getting in my way and when I don't finish my run I get really down for the rest of the day.

Keep reminding yourself of that when you feel like giving up.  The old "Pain is temporary, pride is forever" type of mantra.  When your brain starts to tell you to give up, think how bad you'll feel for the rest of the day if you do, and how good you'll feel if you rise above it and finish your session.

My sympathies on only being able to run on a treadmill though - dull dull dull.  Might be worth trying no music/films/books and just concentrating on running and how you are feeling.

All of which I think is what booktrunk was trying to say, while giving you a virtual boot up the backside.image

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

saying it's boring is just unacceptable as a reason, you have a brain use it!! Make up a story in your head whilst plodding along, or do the 4576 times table... Who cares, but saying it's boring is just laziness.

If you run, then you run, it's pretty b****y simple!! 

• or if you are that bored and not enjoying it.find something else to do.....

Its only a hobby ....wait till you can run outdoors and then start on your programme...

If it was the choice of running on a treadmill or doing something else..i would be straight to the table and doing a jigsaw......

treadmills are not enjoyable for me and life is too short.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Seren Nos as usual said it a lot better than I can. 

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Sounds harsh but, sometimes, running is bl**dy boring (even outside). You have to think of the end aim, get over the fact you're bored in that particular moment in time, and keep going. The whole point of doing the programme you're doing is to get you able to run for longer periods. If you get bored doing it and can't get over that, then, as the others have said, find something else to do. If you are confined to an air conditioned room because it's too hot outside, anything is going to be pretty boring. 

No amount of advice from others on here will help you not get bored on a run - only you can do that, or just accept the fact that sometimes it's boring. Most things that do you good are boring image

• I quite enjoyed running on a treadmill. The mind game for me (and for most people from what I've heard) is when it gets physically difficult to keep going, and you have to force yourself to do it.

And anyway, I can't concentrate on movies or audio books at all on a treadmill, music is always the easiest. Running really does promote a 'flitty' thought process. It's mind clearing which is what I really enjoy.

• Em-68 wrote (see)

I quite enjoyed running on a treadmill. The mind game for me (and for most people from what I've heard) is when it gets physically difficult to keep going, and you have to force yourself to do it.

And anyway, I can't concentrate on movies or audio books at all on a treadmill, music is always the easiest. Running really does promote a 'flitty' thought process. It's mind clearing which is what I really enjoy.

I initially mis-read that as "...filthy thought process..".

Although, that might make the miles pass more quickly image