35m 10k

Hi all, I’ve found my motivation again after pulling out of the marathon this year, and having 10weeks off through injury.

I’m aiming for 35-36mins for 10k, but without the stress of high miles (I’m 44) this years marathon training was up to 70mpw.  I’m aiming to do 2 interval sessions a week, long & short reps, and a park run/tempo run on saturdays and up to 15 miles on Sundays, instead of easy days I am going to have  days off, Mon/Weds, which should aid recovery, easy runs doing the marathon  never felt easy and just made me tired, so with this idea I hope to go into the sessions feeling fresher.

How does that sound, with 3 hard sessions a week?.

10k pb is 35.04, which I did when I turned 40, although that was off the back of Marathon training, and consistent 75mile weeks, which I haven’t got in me anymore, hence the change of approach.

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

so where are you now timewise in a 10k and how long have you set to get back to 35m?

• been doing some short intervals, did a mile @5.44 yesterday followed by some shorter stuff, park run at the start of the month was 20 mins, I’m looking at october time, so a good while yet.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Have you structured a week around 3 hard sessions plus a long run before?

I've been doing 3 hard sessions per week at the moment with a 5K target race in mind.  However, it can be a big strain on the body.  It sharpens you up nicely but I wouldn't want to do that  every week for more than a couple of months, and the actual volume of fast stuff I'm doing in each session is lower (albeit faster) than it would be if I was doing a more standard 2 hard sessions - so I'm currently doing at most about 5-6K of fast running per session, whereas it might be 8-10K in my normal training.

I find that with a session every 2 days I need to get the easy recovery runs in to be ready for the next session.  It's a bit different to marathon training, where every run, no matter how short or easy, seemed to add to overall fatigue. You might be different of course.

• Thats a fair point, not really done 3 sessions a week, which is why I’m keen to try it, october is the start of xc so it will lead me into that.

I didn’t enjoy any part of marathon training this year, as you said, I felt tired all the time, I think Tempo runs are so important, but so are the long and short interval stuff, and I want to try and fit them in on Tuesdays & Thursdays. I’m indecisive, thats my problem.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I probably wouldn't start at 3 sessions per week then, it's a big injury risk.  When in 'normal' training, i.e. 2 sessions a week, I do a tempo plus either long or short reps.  You could alternate it more by 3 week blocks if you wanted, and do a tempo and short reps one week, short and long reps the next week and a tempo and long reps the third week, so you're hitting each session twice in a 3 week period.

• Thats a great idea, something I didn’t think of, that way I’m getting everything in, over the 3 weeks, Thanks Dachs.