Motivation after achieving goal

I usually hate threads like this, but I am hoping someone has been in a similar position and can offer some advice other than just get on with it. I kind of think the answer will be (which is the answer I would give someone else) - if you want to run then run if you cant be arsed then make yourself run and you'll soon get back in the swing of it.

So I had the aim of getting a sub 40 10k, which I got last month with 38 minutes, I have a marathon at the end of May next year (second one) with the aim of around 3:00 to 3:05 and a 10 mile race in December with the aim of sub 65. I decided to take two weeks off to give myself a bit of a rest and let my body have a break from years of running.  My trouble is that now I can not be bothered and am struggling to see the point of it.  This was the first real break that I have decided to take and not been forced to take through injury/holiday etc.

I run early mornings due to family commitments and had only struggled getting my butt out of bed after hard training the day before or when other events have caused a late night. I run between 5 and 6 times a week - that is about it, suggestions for getting your motivation back and seeing the point of running again?

Comments

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

December is quite a long way off. Perhaps you need an interim goal. Sub 18 min parkrun?

Also: sub 65 10 miler sounds a bit too manageable if you can run a 38 min 10k now and you've got 5 months to train. Unless it was 38:59 and you were dying at the end, but even so...

(PS: just get on with it. image)

• Literatin, many thanks for the reply, the 10k was a cross country race and probably had a little more in the tank, perhaps a sub 18 park run could do it, specially when there is one that is a mile away from me and could run there as a warm up.

What would you suggest for the 10 miler, in the past I have set targets way to high and failed to meet them, which is a crap feeling, but then making a target to easy and reaching it without too much trouble is equally as bad I suppose.

You are right of course, I just need to get on with it.  I brought my kit with me today to see if I can do a lunch time run, regardless of it being slightly warm, a 4 mile run might just get the old juices flowing again...hopefully.

Returning after a two week, non injury forced break, resume with a couple of slower shorter runs then increase back to normal levels within 2 weeks?

• Wise words indeed, Dr Nick Windsor (I read your injury clinic with great interest!).

I thought perhaps setting targets for a couple more races would help but that hasn't as yet - but then by your diagnosis I will only end up in the same situation after those goals have been achieved.  Need to get the continuous growth plan sorted in my head, just not sure how to get that in, would that be a case of year 1 achieving x which would then put me in a position to achieve y the following year - so on and so on? Or am I being a t*at and missing the point?

• The reason I started running was to help with my fitness and keep up with the children, when working in IT and sitting down most of the day, well it's not the greatest for your health and wellbeing.

Ah I think I have just got it, it is not about the races they're just a bonus, it is about my health and fitness and being able to run and play with the children without being one of those parents who just sit there and let the children run riot whilst they knock back another Stella and eat another bag of crisps! 

Excellent, I actually feel better, was it just a case of reminding myself why I run and not just about hitting those race times, I suppose the real proof will be tomorrow morning, certainly going to get this lunch time run in.

Thank you Dr Nick, really appreciate your help. 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Wow, some genuinely useful advice from Dr Nick! image

I agree - use the McMillan calculator to work out training paces for your current level and adjust them as you go along rather than having a set-in-stone target right now. Do the parkrun, see what time you get, then decide to train for 6 weeks and improve your time.

Don't forget to eat plenty of crisps to stave off cramp.

• Thanks for the tip about the crisps, is there a flavor/brand that has better cramp combating properties than others?

I too was completely amazed by Dr Nick, he has actually genuinely helped me and I am really thankful.

I haven't used the calculator for a while, I'll get my routine going again and once I feel that I have settled then I will punch some numbers in and see where I am at.  I will also do the park run in a couple of weeks, just going to give myself a chance to get my body going again, I doubt too much fitness has been loss as I have been active during this time anyway, just not running. 

Thank you both for your comments, much appreciated.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

I think youve linked running with your target so much (and understandably so) that you now need  a sort of break from it. Or at least a break from the target part of it. I think you should indeed pat yourself on the back and then switch to maintenance mode for a little bit. Leave the GPS at home, have some fun with your running and maybe look at some cross training for variety.

As and when you want to hit new targets you could have better core strength, injury proofing, flexiblity etc.

• I have heard a few people say that they run without the GPS on occasions, I have never done so, why, well because I like to know the details of my run.  However, I posted for advice and surprisingly I have been supplied with useful advice and I see too many participants of threads ignoring advice, so I will do my lunchtime run without my GPS and see how I go. If I find it a liberating experience then I will certainly try it again or even if I find that I am not overly bothered by not having it then again I will run without it occasionally.

During these runs without GPS, do you just run comfortably and concentrate on form or is it a case of ignoring everything about training etc and just enjoy the run and the countryside/seaside/city, some proper time to process bits in your head, relax and enjoy?

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

KPea, if you want to know the details of runs mainly for mileage tracking purposes, just start the watch but put it in your pocket, or turn it around on your wrist so you can't see it.  It's a compromise, but I find it works and those runs are enjoyable image

• Thanks for the tip, I'll throw it in the waist bag, a good idea.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

GPS or not, I mean for you to take the pressure off and not feel like you have to meet a target. Plenty of time for that later. Just relax and enjoy it. Chuck in the odd surge if you feel like it. 

A coach told me that htse kind of runs should feel like they are building energy rather than burning it. 

This makes no logical sense of course, but thats beside the point. 

by the way. I have sub 38 10k in mind as a major milestone en route to a sub 3 marathon. Well done.

• Thank Neyan, by having the watch out of site then I do not need to worry about it, having on the wrist means that I will check etc, this way I can't. In return for advice if I could offer one training session that I thought assisted me in hitting the 38 it is this:

Warm up (around 10 - 15 Minutes)

{6 minutes at 6:20 Pace - followed by 1:30 rest  -  8 * 35 Sec Hills - 1 Min rest } * 2 

3 Minutes @ 6:20

Warm down

That I found helped me a lot.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    KPea wrote (see)

Thanks for the tip about the crisps, is there a flavor/brand that has better cramp combating properties than others?

I don't think it matters what flavour but probably best combined with a refreshing gin and tonic, as quinine allegedly has cramp-combating properties too. The only time I have had cramp recently was when I had done a hard session (of running, in case anyone has anything else in their filthy minds) on a hot morning, then been out for lunch and drunk approx. 4 glasses of wine, lots of water, but not really enough salt during the day. I then got horrific cramp later on in pilates class. I put that down to the philistines at the restaurant serving unsalted butter.

• After long training runs/races I find that I have salt granules pretty much covering my face/head, now I initially assumed that this was because I had too much salt in my diet.  However, I think, and correct me if I am wrong, this means that I am lacking salt - is that correct? 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

It means you need to replace the salt that you've lost through sweating (not just the water). Obviously you know my preferred method is by hoovering up crisps, but otherwise you might try those electrolyte tabs.

• Well just got back from my lunch time run, ran out through farmers fields and came back via the streets.  Really nice to be out running, distracted myself by checking out the windows on peoples houses - sounds dodgy I know but we are getting our windows replaced and I am looking for inspiration.

Paid no attention to the GPS, looked when I finished but not during, quite nice not having a target to hit, even ignoring the easy run target, just ran how I felt, yeah it was a little fast for an easy run and a little slow for a testing run but who cares, it was just nice to be out running.

Thanks for all of the advice, to show my appreciation to Dr Nick I have changed my profile name - although this will no doubt change because at a glimpse it looks like 'Motivated by Dick' which is not ideal!

Literatin, I have tried those tabs, High5 ones, they were OK but I probably did not give them a fair chance, I would prefer eating crisps I reckon and drinking water on my runs.  Could try eating crisps on the run I suppose.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

literatin wrote (see)

It means you need to replace the salt that you've lost through sweating (not just the water). Obviously you know my preferred method is by hoovering up crisps, but otherwise you might try those electrolyte tabs.

Or you could just lick your face......

• Nick - your face would be great to lick and could easily last the marathon distance.

• Extra salty bits sound ideal if it is a hot day or for an ultra run, cheers

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Cracking thread.  image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I agree that the first thing to do to get your mojo back is just remind yourself why you started running. Not for targtes, but for fitness and fun possibly? Start to enjoy it and then re-introduce targtes.

One that worked for me was seeing how I could increase the distance done at 6 min mile pace, so 18:36 for 5k to start, then 30 mins for 5M, 37:18 for 10k building to the hour for 10M and beyond. As each of these milestones was achieved I felt more liek a "serious" runner and more motivated to push on to the next one.

• The Bus, that sounds like a bit of a challenge that I could keep building upon - a quote from Mr Motivator himself - "make the ultimate target a continuous growth" this kind of fits in with that...kind of.  However, I will only start this once I get my routine back and get my fitness up a bit.

I found that the advice I got yesterday really helped, just needed to remind myself the reason that I run, the races and speed are a by product, running is suppose to fun plus with the prospect of getting salty bits licked as well, who wouldn't want to run!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Just as long as its not adding in salt to injury image