Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Matt - that's a damn impressive tempo with that amount of hillage!

Great prep for that recce! It's been a long time since I fell asleep on the sofa drunk. Happens a lot on a Sunday afternoon, but that's just age image

Bike this morning to rest my running legs. Haven't ridden more than 4.5 miles for a month, so quite pleased to do my joint fastest time on the 14M to work. Must have been inspired by Contador climbing with a broken leg image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Great tempo Matt with all that climbing.  A sub 60 10 mile tempo is pretty good even without hills.  Not sure I'd fancy a 9 mile fell run when hung over though, although I suppose the benefit of fell running as opposed to the urban running I do is there are lots of quiet places to be sick unnoticed.

Nice biking Bus.

Last 5K session for me last night, a repeat of last week's 3 x 1600 (plus 1 x 200)session but trying to do 300m recoveries instead of 400m.  Pace still pretty much OK, so no more big sessions until the race (it's Monday evening Matt).

Today I have managed to forget my work shoes when running in.  Therefore, I am sitting here in a rather natty outfit of burgundy shirt, black tie and grey trousers, which I have paired with bright blue and green Saucony Kinvaras.  Fortunately I have no meetings today, and I am trying not to leave my desk if at all possible.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

There is no way you will get through a whole day at work without needing a wee (or a poo), surely, Dachs?

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

You underestimate me, Lit. 

However, I did need a sandwich, so I threw caution to the wind for 10 minutes.  But that will be my one foray.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Never mind Dachs - at least you didn't have to run home in a small ladies kit again image

Lovely evening for a bike ride home, so I took the scenic route home. On the way I took on Kop Hill for good measure, as I found out today it forms part of the tour of Britain route in September as one of the KoM climbs. Happy with that as maintained a reasonable (given the hills) 17mph average. Just shy of 21M for 34M total on the bike today - OK for a rest day image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

done that a few times Dachs...in fact, when I'm on 2 runs a day, driving into work for 7am and running, I take so much kit and gear, I usually forget something or other.

Luckily never shirt or trousers. But very often underwear and shoes!

Oesteo Monday, which was another through work free appointment. Not sure it's taking me anywhere to be honest, so will ditch and get back on the NHS radar. They tend to fix you, as they're measured to, rather than a vague indefinite sort of we have all the time In the world vibe I get from these private types.

Can't pretend I'm too bad. Have done an average of 58.5miles the last 3 weeks. But it's been 2months and only 1 fast mile now...which is frustrating,

Got tempted to do the club Bounders relay last night. 2mile leg, laid back vibe etc. However, a mix of how the lunch run felt at easy pace, and a chat with Lit,showed me it'd be foolish.

Well done all, certainly envy the fast stuff going down. I seem to have one distinct period of rehab a year now, usually stuff I can still do plenty of easy mileage through, so can't complain too much. Just have to forget all the races going by im missing!

• Matt3 - if you did a "10 mile tempo" at Elswick on Saturday morning you would most likely win the race and get a tub of Bonds ice cream image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

As you were.

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Where's your post gone Ric? i read it earlier but headed out to the track before posting. are you feeling fitter for the increased mileage or are you still feeling as though an increase in pace leaves your lungs burning? 

like you say SG, at least you're going to have the base miles in when you can eventually introduce the speed work. Is it just a waiting game? 

Ive entered the Blackpool 10k on Sunday which are usually pancake flat and out and back affairs. Just hope its not too windy.  I'd like to dip under 33 mins if everything goes well although I've not done any specific 10k sessions recently as I've been at the short stuff, tempos and the odd race thrown in. 

I feel in decent nick so who knows. i went to the track a day early due to Sundays race and did 12x400 off 60 secs. Target was anywhere between 69-72 as I'm still going to target a couple of 5ks in August.

came out at 69-69-68-68-69-69-69-70-71-70-70-69. Had to grind them out and it didn't help with a local football match going on in the middle of the track so plenty of spectators kept wandering into lane one. Half of them being my mates which is probably why the reps are pretty quick! 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Seemed a bit over loaded in the 'me' department Matt so I wiped it.

Yes, definitely feeling better. Getting into that region where I can push the pace and not cave in within two seconds. The irony of my situation is that the only race that is on my mind is the Aldershot Road Relays in September.

I'd hazard a guess that those 400's indicate a sub 33 is on the cards. After all, the pace of a sub 33 minute 10k works out at 79.15999 seconds per lap on a track.

Tomorrow I have the choice of 12 miles steady/tempo. Road reps over 400m or Hills on a local golf course.

That or I wimp out and have another 6 mile jog.

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I've been rather fond of jogging recently with not having a target. Weathers been good for it too!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Very good reps those Matt!

Waddesdon evening 5k for me tonight. Lovely venue for it, although a bit warm and sticky tonight!  I managed my best time on the course (not run it since 2009!) but was just pipped at the post for the V45 prize - out-sprinted, but by someone who normally beats me by a big margin so I'm OK with that, especially as I did muster something of a sprint without quite puking!

The mile splits tell the story of the race really - it's an out and back course with a the significant hill down in the first mile or so and up for the second and well into the third. At the 4k mark, a flat last k would probably have seen a sub 18, but not to be tonight - 5:12, 6:07, 6:13 with the last bit sprinted at 5:08 pace, for 18:11 and 18th overall

• Was looking at LFOTM 5k tomorrow but work eventually got in the way. No tears here, forecast is 29 or 30°C at lunchtime.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Good racing Bus, sounds like it would've been a 17:xx on a flat course for sure. Nice final sprint! Wasn't an evening I'd have wanted to race on, so kudos.

Fast reps Matt.

It'll be a hot one tomorrow. Glad I went for the Monday evening 5k rather than LFOTM. It'll probably still be bloody boiling on Monday though.
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Like Matt I also did 400s averaging 70 yesterday, but off a much more generous 400 recovery. Wasn't really a big session, just trying to keep the legs used to a quick pace in the lead up to the race.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

great session Matt , agree with Ric that you are looking sub 33 as those reps were pacey and another good race from Bus.

Dachs looking forward to see what you can do in the 5k.  everything points to a good performance

I have been in washington for the week so only ran once since my race last saturday night though it was particulalry scenic having woken early and been on the beers watching the world cup final i went for a 6am easy run running past the white house, and all the monuments for washington, lincoln, martin luther king, roosevelt and the capital hill building, smithsonian etc..etc...  Made a nice change than running along a canal path in stoke.   Im in no shape to race next week as every meal has been like an episode of man v food. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Good race there Bus. Afternoon running and me don't seem to get on these days. Its probably a blood sugar in-balance caused by eating - anything.

Good example was attempting to run today having eaten something three hours earlier. Muscles felt good but trying to draw extra pace just sent me light headed and a bit sleepy. So the session became a 2 mile out and back jog/walk.

I'll make up for it tomorrow.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks chaps. I do need to find a fast 5k somewhere to get that sub 18 in. Looking at some of the guys on either side of me who have recently done just that, Aylesbury parkrun seems a good option (but as I work there all week I'm not sure I can face heading there on a Saturday image)

I tend to run better in the evening generally Ric, but will usually have a snack about an hour before a training run or race to keep the glycogen levels up. I contrast, I'm happy to do an LSR early doors with just a couple of dates or a banana before hand.

Dean - it's hard to beat an early morning run in a new city, especially when you go past all the sights you normally only see on TV!

• Evening. Another blink and I miss it couple of days away with work. Looks like some stonking training and racing going on.

Nice easy 10km run around Congresbury/Claverham on the Somerset/Avon border yesterday morning. I feel in a similar shape to Dean after lots of hotel food and a month's beer allowance in 2 nights.

Definitely a morning bike ride tomorrow rather than a lunch one.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Well it's good to see you back on it RicF.

Well run too Bus. I think us northerners are lucky in the fast 5k department as all the quick ones seem to be series too so you can have a crack at the same course 4 times over. Sale, Lancaster, tod park and esholt have 4 races in the series.

Sounds a belting run out Dean.

Good work Dachs and I know how you're feeling on the Ale front Iron after I majorly over indulged last week. Had a couple of runs the day after as punishment!

Just remembered I was supposed to be doing the Snowdon race this weekend but unfortunately the weekend coincides with my missus being away so I've got the daughter all day on Sat hence why I've entered Blackpool 10k on Sunday. If it'd inflicted half the damage that the Ben Nevis race did to me last year then it's probably not a bad thing that I've missed it.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Cheers Matt.

Certainly benefited from the extra rest I had yesterday. Smashed out a hill session covering 5 miles. Clocking 5:40's going uphill with a stride frequency of 200/minute was quite a departure from a tired plod.

Ok, the strides aren't exactly long, if it was Dean (mega 1500m result well done!) I imagine they would be about 2 metres in length. I just to accept I'm feeble.

🙂

• Good session Ric. Had the weather moved on in time for this?

Morning bike ride postponed due to wind & rain.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Snowdon race?  Sounds wise to have skipped it anyway Matt.

Popped out at lunchtime, jogged a couple of miles to the park and did 6 x 400 at 5K target pace.  No training benefit intended, just wanted to make sure my legs are reminded of the right pace so they can just lock into it on Monday.  Simple enough, as one would expect/

On the way back I received my first running heckle for some time.  Bizarrely, it was a Christian running heckle, from the evangelist types who stand on the corner and hand out pamphlets.

"Don't run from Jesus" he said.

I hadn't been aware Jesus was chasing me.

• Dachs wrote (see)

"Don't run from Jesus" he said.

I hadn't been aware Jesus was chasing me.

Just checked on po10, two guys called Jesus and two with Jesus as a surname and you have them all beaten apart from maybe the 12 second 100m U17 guy

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Given his trademark beard and sandals Jesus would be far more likely to be seen running through the wilderness with the Tarahumara than chasing Dachs anyway.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

MAtt - how could you "forget" you were doing Snowdon image?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

it might not be too late for you yet Dachs.

Nice race Bus, and it seems like forever you've been bandying the "need to find a fast 5k" talk! Almost longer than me.

Ric, rookie mistake son. Eating 3hours before? There was a chap on here who swore by eating on the run, not to mention smashing the fluid too.

I'm adding the Wycombe 10k/half to my "local classics I'm missing" this year stable.

I could no doubt get round in a 1hr 30s easy paced run, but anything faster is out at the moment.

@. I think the final straw was him changing his story from "stretching will fix it", to "stretching will help a bit", and some worrying sounding talk about needing to fix the whole mechanics.

Anyway, back onto the NHS, and I'm back on the list for that. Those NHS physios are top notch though, probably because they have to fix you, rather than thinking it's a long term process, involving infinite costly appointments, and you wondering how long it'd take if it were really something serious.

I'm trying not to melt down too much in this current tedious training couple of months. 6miles morning, 4miles lunch x4, 6miles Saturday, and 12/13 sunday. Can't wait for the proper stuff again, let alone racing.

Have decided against that 1mile hill race in Wales, even with Wycombe playing close the next day. You don't race when you're a bit niggled up, it's just foolish. At best you'll underperform, at worst you'll discombobulate....as we  all know there's 100s of races to pick from when 100% fit.

ps apologies for massive long mail....it's just like old times eh!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Surely you could get round the 10k in under 1hr 30 SG image

Fair enough, the decision to race is always yours and you know the problems with your own niggles better than anyone, but what's the worse that can happen by racing? If it's just the worry of an "underperformance" then that's no big deal - everyone has them and most of us in bucket-loads! If racing seriously would make the niggles significantly worse (and you discombobulate!) then they aint just niggles and perhaps you need some serious time off to let them heal....

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Hi IC, yes the storm had passed over about four hours earlier. Mind you, water water everywhere.

Talking of water (ourselves mainly) I had an in depth discussion with one of my clients  (GP ) about the hydration issue as regards athletic performance. 

Basically, if you're low on fluids, its your running bits that lose out first.

Adds up really. In the days when I seemed to get one injury after another I also recall not being too bothered about drinking. Didn't feel like it so I didn't.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, I honestly wish just drinking loads would fix every niggle!

Bus, I hear you. I can't wait to race again trust me. But I've done one sub 6min mile in 2months now. It wouldn't be an underperformance, as I think you mean "a bit" off normal times, it'd simply be "Boobing around at easy pace".

Certainly isn't anything that needs a proper rest, it's just a few miles into a run you can feel the muscles aren't fully extending and giving full motion in the back/hamstrings/glutes.

However, 6.50s are fine, and no reaction the next day. The LSR seizes up a bit more, but I cap it at 12/13. Simply haven't got my top range, which is essential in racing.

Bit of a shame to miss my first Wycombe race since 07, but not enough of one that I'd turn up and just get round! Not that important, with 100s of other races all around! I'm glad I'm not those chaps with 30 year streaks!!

As a compromise, i'll probably doddle round the course at 7am. Which is better than nothing!

And no I'm not going to pay £20 and do it within the race image