Garmin Forerunner 110

Has anyone run into the same problem that I have had? I bought my watch three years ago. Due to my 1 year old nephew getting hold of it for just a few seconds, I was quite surprised that he was able to create a tear in the plastic of the watch strap - which has now grown and means only half the strap is keeping it in secured in place. 

So I phoned up Garmin today and was sure they would despatch a replacement strap for a nominal fee - they must get these problems from time to time I imagine. I was surprised when they said they would exchange it for another watch - but for a fee of £59. The reason for this, they explained, is that the strap and the watch are moulded together and the strap therefore cannot be replaced separately. Of course, they are right. The watch and strap are moulded together and I have no problem if that's the best design for a watch/strap like this - but I wasn't really thinking about that when I bought it. The tear is across the "pressure part" where after tightening the strap the metal buckle then holds the strap in place; so I guess the plastic had started to weaken over time so I can't really blame my nephew for doing what he did.

The fee Garmin quoted is a percentage of the retail price at the time the watch was sold and as it's out of the warranty period, that fee is due and they won't discount it. I love the watch, but I don't need a new one and getting a new watch won't help bring my marathon times down. So I'm really not at all impressed that I can only fix the strap by paying for a replacement watch. Setting the fee at this level will make me think twice about buying another Garmin in the future. In the meantime I'll try superglue and hope that works! Be warned!

Comments

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

So you bought it three years ago. I don't know what the price was then but let's guess at £150. That's £50 a year for the time you've been using it. £1 a week. 

A small child (not the intended user demographic) manages to chew or break it or whatever. Well, shit happens. Garmin offer to replace it for rather less than half the current typical retail price.

Seems a good option to me. I don't get what the complaint is about.

• Muttley wrote (see)

I don't get what the complaint is about.

Nor me.

I bought a 305 years ago, it stopped working properly just outside the warranty period but they exchanged it (on their refurb/replacement programme) for free, turnaround was 3 days and they couldn't have been nicer. 

It has now just died so I contacted them yesterday about a refurb/replacement - again, nice, friendly and helpful bloke on the end of the phone and excellent service. 

But I only had to pay £51.63.

Perhaps that was because I was image rather than image.

• Just get a generic strap from your local cobbler's shop.

• Take it to a watch repair shop, they are always really accomodating and most will be able to do something for you if not they can recommend someone who will.

• I had a similar problem with a Timex ironman. I know really specifically look at the design of the strap and try to buy ones where the strap is user replaceable wherever possible. I'm sure this design feature is just to rip off customers as the strap is almost always the first thing to break on a watch.

I got round it by following some instructions to make my own watch band (through repeatedly knotting some guy line, which I managed to get to fit through the remaining pieces of strap, but I don't know whether that is possible with the design of the forerunner or not. You could google "make your own watch strap" and see if any of the things that come up look like they might fit.

• Yes the Forerunner 110 has a strap issue, mine disintegrated after a year, having learnt my lesson I only buy Polar now.  Invest the money in changing brands.

• My 110 is about 2 years old strap still looks great. Maybe you've been over tightening it causing unneeded stress on the strap?

• Obviously I don't think all the 110 straps have this issue, it has 4 stars on Amazon so most must survive at least a couple of years.  I used the watch 2-3 times a week, kept it next to my bed most days as it's not a good day watch.  I ran in mixed climates (i.e. Indonesian & UK winter temperatures) I also sweat a lot (but this is a sports watch) also it didn't just break in one place, but developed multiple breaks over a couple of months. I now effectively have a pocket watch.

Other than accidentally fastening it one notch too much then loosening it moments later I wouldn't say I over tightened it.  I used a Polar FT2 before my Garmin for a good year, and that strap (and the strap of every other watch I have bought in the last 20 years) is fine.

I think they used a softer "more comfortable" rubber which is less durable, and I have since met one other runner who had similar issues with the same watch. I would now avoid any watch with this style of soft strap.

• With regards to the Amazon 4 star rating it is worth noting that the Garmin 110 with the red band has over 1000 reviews, roughly 13% gave one star 7% gave 2, and 9% 3.  Thats quite a few generally unhappy or apathetic customers.

Obviously some others had the same strap issue as well (the last link suggests a fix, but my watch doesn't have enough strap to use this method)...

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?4515-If-your-wrist-band-breaks-Garmin-says-just-go-buy-a-new-watch/page2

http://www.eduardoramalho.com/2014/05/garmin-forerunner-110-band-replacement.html

• I have a Forerunner 110, and my strap on one side has come loose, to the point where it has seperated completely from the watch...it looks like it's held on by a tiny pin on each end of the strap. This has only just happened, so early days regarding how i'm going to fix it?...in the first instance I may go for superglue...no reason why that shouldn't hold it together..then a watchmakers to see what they say?! If anyone else has simliar issues, etc, please let me know how you resolved it? I don't fancy using it as a pocket watch..if only for the fact that I don't appear to have any pockets when I'm out running!

Thanks in advance. 

• It's now happened to me for a second time. Arghh!! I posted the original post in 2012 listed above. I have been very careful in the last two years and not let the replacement Forerunner 110 watch anywhere near my nephew. I used it as an ordinary wrist watch and go out running with it on, that's it. This time it is the rubber housing that holds the pin of the clasp in place. That has worn and then sheared on both sides and so I now have the same issue with a watch that cannot be fastened,  which I don't fancy using as a pocket watch! I would agree with the view above that the rubber is softer to make it more comfortable but this in my view compromises the durability, so here we are again.. I could try and take it to the cobblers as someone suggests, or maybe I just superglue the watch to my wrist.

Anyway, I've been back on to Garmin and got the same response as before. As the strap did not break in the first 12 months (under the warranty) then I have to pay for a refurbished watch again. This time it is £44.40 if I want to replace the watch, but it is NOT a new watch, but a replacement watch. The replacement watch I got last time was just that - a replacement watch, not a brand new watch. So to look at it another way, £150 for a new watch, then a further £103 for two watch straps in two years....

Garmin are inferring they are doing me a favour in allowing me to replace my watch (again) for this sum as they maintain they have no obligation to do so and this is a gesture of goodwill. They also state they are not aware of any issues with the forerunner series.

I do have a perfectly good watch aside from the strap issue and indeed the original watch worked perfectly fine too. 

I'm afraid I've decided not to take Garmin up on their gesture of goodwill, because I don't want to find myself in this situation again and excusing the pun, the "running costs" for this watch don't justify it based upon my experience to date. I quite like the look of the Fenix 2 (I'm not bitter!!) so I would be interested in any feedback on that but also on any other watches which can last 12 hours in GPS mode (just finished my first ultra a week or so ago). Anyway, sorry Garmin,  but it's a big thumbs down from me for the Forerunner 110. Great watch, not so great design of the strap!

• I was just reading random threads and read with slight interest as I had a 110..

It died on me after less than a year..Great... BUT - the upshot is it's now discontinued and they have the forerunner 15 as the replacement!

Just thought you should know as I wasn't aware till I did some hunting around looking at replacements.. I chose to go for the 220 with a full refund I just paid the difference which was a great deal...the strap seems to be separated so I'm not worried if it broke.. My daughter had picked up my Garmin (110) a few times and I winced but it survived

But I'd perhaps take it up with them that this product can longer be "replaced" and probably shop somewhere that has a no quibble returns policy? I would have happily paid ??30 more to have it from in store so any problems I could go in there and almost guarantee at least credit... However I got a good deal from reputable online store
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Hi, it's been a while since I posted on this subject, however I just want to say that I ended up "super-glueing" my strap and it's worked a dream so far!? So if anyone is considering that option, it's got the thumbs up from me! Good luck, and enjoy your runs! So to speak!