Squats/Lunges

My current running goal is to run 10 milers in under 60 minutes, I can do this in 65 minutes (approx)

I don't do any sort of strength training, would it be worth throwing in squats/lunges into my training? If so, how heavy would you recommend?

Comments

• I wouldn't claim to be any sort of expert and I'm much slower than you but I've started doing a body pump class twice a week over the last 3 months, which incorporates lots of swats and lunges. Nothing else in my training has changed but I've knocked 86s off my 5k time this summer, after being on a plateau for the last 5 years!

• Ooh that's useful info freddy. I might gives those classes a go.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

lungessquats, since running is a series of one legged leaps, not two footed jumps. One legged deadlift not bad either.

However I start to think that a well chosen hill sessions plus maybe plyometrics might be better than all of the above since they build functional power not just strength.

• Maybe Naylan but I've been doing hill reps at least once a fortnight for the last 8 years. Not the same sessions, a mix of long and short and progressively harder withut seeing much improvements. It seems to be weight training that's made a big difference to me. 

I've done some plyometrics but they always seems such high impact I'm scared of getting injured.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

aye its not to be taken lightly. I just found that introducing certain hill sessions helped 'educate' my muscles to drive and generate power better and this improved my form and efficiency a bit.

In fairness I used to lift and liked big compound movements in particular so didnt feel that was especially laccking from conditioning. Hill sesions were quite new for me. Maybe if youve done hills before but need to introduce weights the balance  / need is different.

ie at some point you ahve to start doing whatever youve been lacking