Running in Caerphilly

Hi everyone,

I live in the centre of Caerphilly. Is there a running club nearby? I run two half marathons per year, Liverpool in March and Cardiff in October. My pb is 1hr 54.

I used to live in Newport and ran with friends, but now I live in Caerphilly I'm missing the buzz of running with others to train.

Thanks,

Gareth

Comments

• Hi Gareth,

I've just moved to Caephilly and I'm looking for running clubs etc.  Did you find any?  I am running half marathon distance every weekend at the moment.  Pace a little slower than your's though although I'm only just starting out.

Let me know?

Cheers, Dougie

• Hi missed this one........the first time around

there isn't a club in caerphilly itself.......the only one in the borough is Islwyn which meets at Pontllanfraith Leisure centre on tuesday and thursdays evenings and sunday mornings usually......

nearby you will also find the Pontypridd rodents that meet near pontypridd and a couple of clubs in Cardiff.......san Domenico and les croupiers but i don't know where they meet.....

• Thursday evenings at 7 o'clock from LLandaff rugby club just 1 min down the road from the parkrun, thats where Les croupiers meet, sure you would be most wellcome.

• Hi Gareth,

I live in Caerphilly and I've been in touch with the Welsh Athletics Association and Caerphilly doesn't have a running club but they are sending me information and the relevant forms that would be needed to form a club. 

If I can get enough people (min.10) who would be interested in forming an official club in Caerphilly I will get it up and running.

Thanks,

Peter

• Hi

Ive run a 5 halfs at around 2 hours 10 ( slow but steady!) Im now training for a full end of April, let me know how you get on with starting a club

Thanks

Clare

• clare there are loads of ladies joined islwyn running club in the last few weeks.......if you can make tuesaday or thursday nights you would be welcomed image

• Hi, there is a running club on Tuesday and Thursday at six, from the Village Hotel Coryton, you don't have to be a member, and there a really friendly bunch, they also run one morning over the weekend.

I live in Caerphilly, and don't run much here, as I lack motivation, so if anyone is doing short runs, and fancies some company, or knows someone who does, then please get in touch.

• I'll 2nd the Village Vipers, 3 runs a week and we cater for all types of runners, there are also plenty of social events to enjoy.

Meet at reception of Village hotel on junction 32 roundabout Coryton tues and thurs at 18.00.
  • Hi all,

I live in Caerphilly and run once a week (typically Sat / Sun mornings), I generally run arround taffs trail / up and over caerhilly mountain and depending on mood can clock up between 8 - 12 miles.

I've got a couple of halfs scheduled for the end of the year + tough mudder in Usk.

If any one is interested in joining me please let me know. (medium pace)

Adrian

• Hi

Following the success of the Caerphilly 10k over the past two years, I am keen to establish a new running club in Caerphilly. I know we have the established clubs like Islwyn in Blackwood and many others in Cardiff but there are some great areas to run in Caerphilly, a real mix of trails, road and Fell. I am particularly keen to reserve one session of the week for beginners. Thoughts so far include:

Tues and Thurs evening club meets

Wednesday - beginners

Sat morning - Park Run

Sunday - Events

Please get in touch if you're interested.

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Maybe it's worth bucking the trend of Tues & Thurs runs? 

Which Park Run are you thinking of? Is there one planned for Caerphilly? I thought there was one to be honest, but can't see it on the site.

• caerphilly council can't get it off the ground....

• Hi JEvaNs

I was thinking of the Cardiff Park Run or maybe Pontypridd Park Run. I'm not sure what suitable venues there are in Caerphilly to start a Park Run?

The rational for Tues and Thurs is to cater for weekend competing. 

Speak soon

Mike

• they are looking at Penallta.. Roadrunner

• Thanks Seren nos. I know it well. I wasn't aware that the local authority were responsible for setting it up. My knowledge of Cardiff Park run is that the council had little input. It used to be a volunteer organised event with a start up cost (perhaps that's where the local authority come in). It would be good to get it going up there. Do you know if anyone is driving this forward?

• roadrunner.the coucil will put yp the money..the problem is they need a race director to take it forward........they tried with a group of students from Glam.but none of them had run or volunteered at  park run and when the practice days came up only 3 turned up and they had no idea.......

There seems to be aproblem wuth getting  a 5k route as well..

Islwyn running club were happy to help marshall but didn't want to take on race director and no one from the council wanted to do it.......so earlier this year it hit a stop again......

if someone or two are willing to do race director then I'm sure it could be started 

• Seren, thanks for the information. I'm quite interested in this. Do you know if there is a contact in the council that has been dealing with it?

Mike
  • I live in caerphilly and would be interested in joining a running club here if one is started.
  • Hi . I do the Newport parkrun every Sat and enjoy it but can't get there during the week so if someone is setting up a local club that also caters for beginners I would be interested.

Roadrunner389 please let me know if there are any further developments.

• Hi,

Roadrunner389 please let me know if there are any further developments.

I would be very interested in a Saturday Morning Run in Penallta area (Its where I live).

I would not be able to do the week runs, but a Saturday would suit my plans.

So please do let me know if this is going to happen, I know for a nice 9/10 miler along the bike route 47 starting from Panallta Parc.

Look forward to hearing from you on this

Thanks 

Alyn

• Charlie.... Islwyn running club based at pontllanfraith has started up a section for total beginers.....

they start at 1 mile run / walk and have small groups going at around 2, 3 and 4 miles...

they cater for all and once you are confident at running 4 miles slowly then there is the slow group of the main club as well....

I did hear a few weeks ago that the parkrun at penallta looked like it was back on the cards..but haven't heard anything since...

• Seren - I can't see it happening without your lot being heavily involved.  However, I suspect that the larger Cardiff (705) and Newport (439) get, the more pressure there will be on this happening (unless Cardiff 2 and Newport 2 happen first).

The good thing about Islwyn being involved is that you wouldn't be scared of putting a little bit of hill in the route.  Otherwise anyone else would just have us running back and fore along the lower level path.image

The bad thing about Islwyn being involved is that they could make us just run continually straight up and down the steepest part of the hill ending up with a course record of around 30 mins.image

• Hi, there is a running club in Caerphilly and its associated with the welsh athletics association meaning that once you've signed up and are paying your membership fees, then you get a discounted rate on races.

The club meets at the ActiveVibe PowerPlate Studio in the western industrial estate of caerphilly. We meet every tuesday and Thursday at 6 for a speed endurance session and at 7 on a Wednesday, we also run on a Sunday at 8:45 am, this tends to be our slightly larger run (maybe 8 to 10) miles.

club members times during races ramge from 10K done in 36 minutes to a 10k done in 70 minutes, so there's always someone to run with and no one is ever left out.

We're always looking for new members and everyone who runs is friendly, so if you fancy it don't be afraid to pop down and check us out.
  • If you are looking for a decent running club with a social feel to it in Caerphilly then you can't go wrong with Caerphilly Runners.

http://www.caerphillyrunners.co.uk/

• I am pleased to say that teh Parkrun ast Penallta , Ystrad Mynach did get off the ground last year and it is a lovely course......

Its great that as well as Islwyn Running club there is the newer club Caerphilly runners as mentioned above and they seem a lovely bunch as well....

So lots to choose from.....

and for those new to running or nervous of clubs .Islwyn have started up a future flyers group where they cater for all and have groups from a walk/ run for a mile......building up to 2 miles, 3 miles and 4..so suitable for all......

• edited February 2017

If you are looking for a supportive running club with a friendly feel to it in the Caerphilly area then look no further than Ystrad Runners, who run from Penallta RFC in the winter and Tredomen House (Penallta Park) in the Spring/Summer at 18:30hrs Monday & Thursdays catering for all abilities.

http://www.ystradrunners.com/  or look us up on Facebook