Newbie niggling question!

Hi All,

I'm new to running/jogging and have a question that i would appreciate some advice on.

I'm 5ft4 and weigh 14st, stocky muscular-ish lad but still obese, the problem i have is even on day one of jogging i have got niggling discomfort in my shins, it's not painful at all but i know its there and their is a slight tenderness on the shin bone...

I don't think its shin splints, but could be wrong....

Would it be normal for an overweight newbie to have these niggles from the outset?

Cheers,

Mark.

Comments

• In short, yes.

Have you been fitted for proper running shoes and do they have enogh cushioning?

• MedicalertMedicalert ✭✭✭

When I started a couple of years back (6'1" and 14 st 7) I got exactly the same thing. It took ages and trying loads of different shoes to sort out. I spent a fortune.

The reality is that your body isn't used to it and you may well be engaging ligaments and tendons that haven't worked that hard in ages.

But there are several factors involved in shin pain. Strength of tissues in the area and in the feet. Your running style, i.e. whether you are a long striding heel striker or doing ity bity steps onto your forefoot or somewhere in between. The length and speed you are running - are you doing too much too soon? And finally as screama says the trainers.

I happen to think the last one is least important of those in as much as lots of trainers will work as the right ones given the other factors being well but in new runners those other things often take some time to get right.

The other thing to look at for a quick fix in the mean time is a good orthotic insole. If you over pronate and this is causing your pain insoles will help.

• I'm getting the impression that running often involves aches...I think its a normal and required part of the training and adaptation process. My aches change from one week to the next, shins hurt after my long run one week, back the next, glute muscle the following week. All this went quite quickly so I think my body is adapting and strengthening. Either that or I've lost all feeling!

• Cheers for the insight image

i've not been professionally fitted but i've done the "wet footprint" test to find out the level of arch on my foot and it's normal.

The trainers i've got a designed for trail running as the area i run/jog is around a disused pit (now wildlife area) and the ground in places is uneven.

My running style is more of a flat footed/slight balls of feet shuffe run at the minute as its the first unning ive done in over a decade. I know my style, stride will improve over time though.

I am being proactive and eating cleanly and correctly in order to lose weight and lessen the impact on my joints/bones.

• MedicalertMedicalert ✭✭✭

It probably is just an adjustment period but the issue with the wet foot test is it only shows your feet in a standing position. When running a considerable amount more force is placed through the legs and feet which leads to stresses that can't be seen standing or even walking.

Now this gets a bit complicated, because depending on who you talk to, some will say that pronation is something to be corrected. Support shoes stop your feet from rolling as you run. However the other school of thought is that that is a normal movement for the foot to run and adjust naturally to the stresses put on it. That is where you have to find the thing that suits you.

I'd make sure you take it slow and steady for a while and if it doesn't ease see a physio (preferably one that is running friendly) it might be expensive, but it could also be the best move you make.

I got rid of my shin splints by changing to a more neutral shoe, I now run in a barefoot like shoe as my body has strengthened.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

your feet and joints need time to get used to the forces you are going ot generate by running on them. You may well find that your heart and lungs start start to write checks that your tendons and sinews cant cash (yet) - You might try a run/walk programme just to give your chassis time to catch up with the new engine, as it were.

best of luck

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Hi Mark, how often do you run and roughly what are your paces and distances?