Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that Lorenzo.  Is it an impact strain? Isn't xc less punishing than road?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - sorry I missed your woes.  Can you recap?   Nice to see your boy shifting a bit yesterday! image 

Great weather for the Coastal boys.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Good luck with it Minni. 

5:07! Very nice. Once there's a bit of weakness in an ankle they keep on turning Lorenzo. Have you seen a Physio for any ankle stability exercises? (or tried Dr Google?).

Cracking time Jools. Very promising indeed. I think we need the list to be republished with some ballsy targets on it.....

Well done to GM and OOjunior too

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Lazy week this week but had a 2 mile effort in Windermere on Friday and a 2.5hour fast brick session yesterday. 1hour round the field planned for later. All good.

• OO - no, it's definitely more of a sprain. It seems to happen when my mind wanders and I'm not concentrating on where I'm putting my feet. The real bug*er was that it happened at the top of a long incline and I was just about to start the 2 miles downhill stretch back home. At least the swelling's gone down so so hopefully I'll be back out running in a few days time.

Still, 36 hilly miles on the bike with large chunks through the glorious Surrey hills and I'm back in a good mood again!! 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo: sounds like you need some tlc and strength work for that ankle. They do get there eventually: tweaks that would have caused damage in the past don't any more.

18M on an undulating route showed that I still had the 10k race in my legs: 8.27s was all I could muster!
  • Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - Hope the ankle soon improves. Nice weather for cycling today though - and some speedy mile racing from Lorenzito

Minni - Good luck with all your up coming hip treatment. Hope they find a solution for you.

Jools - Nice long run there, after your fast 10k.

21.5 unfuelled miles with 1600 feet ascent over local hills this morning. Very hot and sticky!

• Minni, MsE, Poacher - are you still on for this one next year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz2FtwTJ_eY

I challenge you to watch it without feeling emotional - anyone else up for it?

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Lorenzo, commiserations on the injury.    That's a great vid. I was trying to persuade Minni this afternoon that it's the right thing to do.  Have you got a pass? I booked a Durban hotel yesterday and will be there in 2015

Nice runs Lorenzito, Joolska, GM, OOjnr

Northumberland Coastal Run this afo was good, I just jogged round in 1.57 with a chum for a huge course PW by 20 minutes or so. Didn't see OO at the finish but no doubt he'd had a fast one. Best of all, Minni really did have a cool box packed with beer, although she'd probably rather have been running.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sorry I missed you Poacher. Yes I had a blinder today in 1:28. 18th overall and 1st V50. We also won the 1st team prize so I came away with footballers wages image

I think all those warm lunchtime runs in Geneva helped as I picked off a few wilting runners in the last few miles.

Great to see Minni on finish line duties. 

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Nice one OO, it was quite hot out there and the miles of sand is always gruelling.  Excellent run

• Poacher -  I'm almost there; I've emailed the video to Mrs L in the hope that this will help things! When are you heading out?

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - prob going overnight on the Weds, stay Durbs Thu-Sun then on tour after that. Mrs P is coming along this time and there's loads to see in KZN.  Bike It is the up run expert but anything else I can help you with just shout

• Great Comrades video! Love the 45-timer. If you haven't gone and watched footage of Ellie Greenwood roaring past one of the Russians, you should. (Start at 6:09:00, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a2_A_UGJ28 )

In from a hard 16m with 10 in the middle at MP (7:01 target). Was on track for the first 8 miles of the MP segment, but melted in the last 2 and ended up with 7:06 average, which isn't ideal, but not bad, given that I've been feeling a bit rubbish all week. Happily, P+D have my next week as a recovery week, so looking forward to that.

Thoroughly enjoying my replacement garmin heart rate monitor. My 405 came with one of the basic models, and it had been acting up recently. (For example, the last 17 miles of Boston had an average HR of 184bpm, and last I noticed, I'm not a hummingbird. Nor do I have SVT.) Granted, it was about 6 years old, so I shouldn't complain too much. The replacement is their 'premium' model, which is much smaller/more comfy and hasn't acted up at all.

Condolences to everyone on the bench at the moment. Take care of yourselves, both mentally and physically. (Not sure which of those is more difficult...)

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Quick weekend read back & catch up. Great racing from GM & Jools (congrats on the PB).

Nice LSRs from Birch, Fishy and Jools again; hard getting them done in the heat.

OO-51 - your family's running goes from strength to strength! Good work at the NCR as well, along with Poacher and Minni on beer duty. Hope the MRI provides positive news.

Lorenzo - speedy miles from Lorenzito Jr-est. I've had ankle issues myself in the past; sprained it once (again from playing cricket!) and once the ligaments got a bit loose, it was a recurring issue for a while (as SJ suggests). Strengthening exercises, and wearing an ankle support/bandage helped a lot. Good luck with it.

Rennur - Sounds like a very good session, that. I wouldn't worry about 5 secs per mile in a tough run like that.

So, returned to cricket on Saturday, and all went well, getting through 8 overs at about 85% effort without any ill effects (apart from losing!). The quad wasn't so keen on chasing in the field, or running quick singles, but survived with only minor irritation, so things definitely improving. Celebrated by going for my first run for a fortnight yesterday, getting in an easy 7 miles in the New Forest. Could feel the leg, but it was manageable. I'm going to mix easy running and swimming this week and see how things go; any speedwork at the moment, and it'll be back to the bench, so I'll count this as a base training phase. Meant to be into a 12 week programme for the Bournemouth HM, but that will have to be a compromised campaign, if I race it at all.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Just a quick drop in to say to hi all. Last day in Dublin today and have had an amazing time reuniting with old friends. No running since Thursdays race but I'm ok with that and enjoying just chilling and hydrating!image Jools- 5k pb is 18:46 so slightly quicker pace but the 5k split was only 18:50. Will have a proper read back when I get back to reality on Tuesday.

• Sorry to hear you couldn't run, Minni.  Hopefully you'll be fixed in time for the Thunder Run.

1.28 is a great time on that course, OO. 
    Impressive PB there, Jools.  Did you get confirmation of the time?

Clearly not a real foot, marrows.  Nice CGI trickery though.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Quick drop in from me too. No running this weekend as I'd promised Mrs GD. Back out this morning for 5.5 easy miles. More intervals planned this week in prep. for a Magic Mile next week - anyone else signed up?

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

GM - sounds like you've been having a great time image

Gul - feel refreshed for the restful weekend, or more lethargic? Any target for the magic mile?

4 easy ones for me at lunch. I have a lot of running fitness to claw back! image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Wow, Lorenzo.  Emotion going on here. image  Rennur's clip -  how easy Ellie Greenwood makes it look.     I really want to go to SA next year but I'm nervous after all these injury and illness woes this year.  I need to get my hip sorted and take it from here.  Poacher sells it well.  I definitely think this is the point for me to move up to Ultra distance.

Had a great day down at the Coastal yesterday.  The disappointment of not being able to run was soon put to one side when I was asked to hold the finish tape then catching up with lots of running friends on the beach.   I think Poacher was the only runner with a Comrades vest on and I like the way OO put his vest on just to cross the finish line.  Well done OO.  It was a very HOT day and that was a brilliant finish time.  You just seem to get better and better!   TAR sorry I couldn't sort an entry for you.  When I realised I wasn't going to be able to run I tried to get them to let me pass my entry on but they are very strict.

I had my first run in over two weeks this morning - a very slow 3-4 miles.  Where has it all gone.... image  Hip hurt, knee hurt, chest tight.  I thought rest was supposed to improve things?!! Anyway I will go again tomorrow and have started a course of painkillers ready for the Thunder Run at the weekend!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Younger Lorenzito- 5:07 mile that's proper speed.image

00-51 - nice racing.

Minni- its tough after a couple of weeks off alight to get back at it.

Fishy- 1600 ft that's some climbing in a long run .

60 miles last week , rest day yesterday and an easy 6 today image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - amazingly fast mile by younger Lorenzito. Sorry to hear about your ankle.
    Jools - still a good run on tired legs.
    Fishy1 - very nice hilly long run.
    Poacher - sounds like an enjoyable run.
    OO - congrats on 1st V50 - cracking racing.
    Rennur - still a very decent effort.
    Abbers - good to hear you're back running - just take it easy. I think I've managed 5:3x in the past couple of years and not having done much speedwork in the last year, I'd be very happy to match that again.
    Minni - it's obviously going to take a while to get back up to speed. Steady as she goes.
    Leslie - excellent mileage last week.
    Overslept this morning and only had time for 3.6 miles with 3 x 300m off 100m recoveries: 0:52, 0:56, 0:55. First one was too fast for the short recovery!

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Good hard racing from you last week GM, glad you enjoyed it
    Joolska that Avon 10 sounds auspicious indeed! Like the others said - what is target for Frankfurt?
    Fishy,  I have no other tricks, and actually I made my foot muscles sore doing that too many times and going 'ooooooo'image
    Birch, I would love to see your hallux rigidus. Do share.
    Good to see Minni and Abbers easing their way back to fitness
    Lorenzo - sorry about the ankle. Are you doing the ridelondon 100 this year? I am.

I'd done 50 miles by Friday last week and had the weekend off, then easy double (8+8) yesterday. I picked up another minging cough and my ears and sinuses are slightly bunged up, but feel OK.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Minni - know roughly how you feel! Even 4 miles feels like a struggle at the moment, and I've had nothing like the issues you've had to put up with. More power to you in your continued comeback.

Leslie - that's good miles. Going well.

Gul - nice 300s, even if it was a bit rushed! 5:3x would be very respectable.

Marrows - rubbish news about the latest round of germs, but sounds like your training volume is good regardless.

The very slow comeback continues with another easy 4 at lunch, but it was hot and hard work. I find it very hard to believe that I ran a marathon just 3 months ago. Still, at least there's no reaction from the quad while I keep the miles slow. Won't consider any autumn races until I'm properly fit again and back to some kind of decent structured training.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Marrows-good mileage ,that cough must be contagious as I've picked it  up too image

Gul-speedy reps 

My plan was10 @mara pace today (7:25) after 2 warmup I managed 7 but my heart rate was low 180's, far too high and I had to sack it  and walk  for a bit due to exhaustion then jog 2 more miles easy to bring it up to 11miles.

24c today far to hot for that sort of work image

• No worries, Minni.  I know they never allow transfers.  Thanks again though for trying to fix me up with a number in the first place.  I'll have to be less sloth-like when entering next year. 

I'd say that 7 at marathon pace in this heat equates to 10 on a normal day, Leslie.  So let's chalk that one up as a successful session.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Abbers & Minni- I know how tough that feels but great to see you both running again at least.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Marrows: 2.56 would be great but I'll take a final pace decision 3 or 4 weeks out. A lot can happen in 10 weeks!
  • Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

OO-51 - Great racing at the coast. You certainly are a fast supervet.

Leslie - It is super hot today - so some great marathon pace miles there + great mileage total.

Marrows - Nice mileage for you too - hope that bunged up feeling clears up soon.

Gul - very good early morning sprints - best time of the day for that sort of workout in this weather. 

Another hilly run for me this afternoon. 7.5 from Ambleside over to Troutbeck and then back to Ambleside via Wansfell - in that absolute heat of the day. Could have done with Minni's beers at the end!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Just a quick pop in to say that I'm back in the land of  reality after an amazing 5 days in Dublin. Will have a proper read back tomorrow. Good night all.