Looking for a running coach in London

Hi all. I'm looking for recommendations for a good running coach in London. I'm a novice runner - some races and triathlons under the belt, but I struggle with the running immensely - both physically and psychologically. I'm looking for a running coach / personal trainer who can help me sort my running out! Any recommendations? Thanks.

Comments

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

Gemma Carter used to be a regular forumite

http://cartercoaching.co.uk/

never actually met her personally but she used to be a regular on the 'stupid o'clock' thread and I think a few of the people that live further south than I do know her personally

I would say it all depends on budget - if you can afford it and that's the way you want to go, then go for it, but just joining a club might help? Cheaper, but you wouldn't get the personal attention you would from a personal coach

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Have you considered joining a running club? At novice level you dont need a huge amount of one-one coaching but you would get to talk to the coaches/expereinced runners there for tips and also get ushered towards others running at a similar level of ability

• Thanks both.

I have run in groups before, but I find I'm generally always the slowest - leaving me unmotivated and pretty upset with myself! Keen to find someone to work with one-to-one. I've identified that I really need help to work on my confidence as a runner!

• GoalpostGoalpost ✭✭✭

You may require a training partner of a similar pace Easier said than done but several parkruns all over London and by running with others it will inspire you and push you harder than any coach can do. By turning up regularly you will see familar faces especially for those running a similar pace to you, out of these you may end up with an ideal training partner to spur you on. More motivating than a coach. 

• Thanks everyone for your advice and comments.

Netanyahu - though I appreciate your directness, I disrespectfully disagree! Running doesn't come naturally to all and some need a push in the right direction!
  • Haha. Sorry. I 'respectfully disagree', rather than the above!
  • NayanNayan ✭✭✭

you have free running clubs at niketown, nike shoreditch and london marthon store

• Hi HannahHannah! I would endorse Maths Chick, get in touch with Gemma - I don't think you will come across anyone better - she is indeed a member of the SOC, when I am down in London we try to meet up at some ungodly hour for a run and have had some memorable runs around London! She's a good mate but she knows her running too!! 

• coaches are good for those who want to reach another level.  we all can download plans, ask advice etc but unless you actually know what your own body requires to improve it is basically guess work or trial and error.

90% of the forum know that the running week is basically split between; long runs, easy recovery, tempos, interval and maybe fartlek. if it was as straightforward as just keep running then their would be no coaches.

so to the OP, if you can afford it and you want to be the best you can be.....go for it.