Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

marrows - good positivity to say you feel ok!
    Abbers - good patience.
    Leslie - that's a tough session at any temperature - well done.
    Fishy1 - more good running in the heat.
    GM - welcome back.
    4 mile recovery run d&d.

• Jools - good show of cards on the table there. Based on the amount of PB'ing you've been doing recently, it's eminently doable.

Marrows - good going. What's the next race in your calendar? I'm not doing the Ride London 100 as I wasn't sure what our holiday plans were. As it is it wouldn't have been a very popular decision in the Lorenzo household as we're flying out early on the following morning for two weeks in, er, Israel. image

Having said that, I'm hoping to get out and watch it as the route passes very close to our house and we're only about 5 miles from the loop the pros do four times through Dorking. What number / colours will you be riding in?

After a couple of days not running I gave the ankle a quick test this morning - 4.5 miles easy with no ill effects so that's a hopeful sign.

Has anyone done the "which sport are you made for?" test on the BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28062001 

Apparently I'm suited for middle distance cycling (not too bad), middle distance swimming (suspect not) and wrestling (??!!). On the other hand, I'm not suited for either gymnastics (agreed) or long distance running. image

As a result, it's been nice knowing all you running folks and I'm off to http://www.wwe.com.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    I'm suited to wrestling and judo. And specifically less suited to long distance athletics. Great.

Israel in the height of summer? That'll do nicely as a hot weather training camp.

Lovely run Fishy
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Classic running error in Paris this morning. Went out for a 5k recovery run, got completely lost and ended up running 11 miles- some recovery...

I'm not suited to orienteering... 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Judo for me - what?! But not gymnastics, rugby sevens or weightlifting - tend to agree with that!

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Squash (used to play that with my wife - she always won!), long distance cycling (suits you sir) and wrestling (why are wrestling & judo coming up for all us apparent runners - we need to start a new thread)

Lorenzo - Glad your ankle is on the mend.

00-51 - check with the BBC as to whether you're suited to orienteering or not - you never know - nice continental running though.

Biking for me this morning; nice and early before the heat of the day.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

I didn't notice the podium at the top of the results - d'oh! As well as judo, I am apparently suited to triathlon (obviously must be some variant not involving swimming or cycling) and wrestling.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Squash, wrestling, judo. image

Not: shooting, lawn bowls or athletics (long distance)

I'm not entirely sure that this is a truly scientific assessment.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

/members/images/396841/Gallery/IMG_4815.JPG

I NEVER imagined I would ever post a pic of my extremities on an internet forum, but being as you asked so nicely, marrows  . . . . . .

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Leslie - looks like a very solid run to me, regardless. Good one to get done.

Fishy - lovely run, that. Wansfell is a favourite with the little Ms As, great views without too much hard work.

GM - good to have you back (virtually).

Gul - a triathlon without the swimming or cycling? I think you've got that sussed! image

Lorenzo - as long as you're in west Israel, you'll be fine! We have a large office in Jerusalem, and a lot of colleagues are reservists. Always a little awkward...

OO-51 - oh well, 11 in the bag isn't to be sniffed at in any circumstances!

1500m in the pool at lunch, before the BBC tells me I should be focusing on hockey, netball and squash. Never tried the middle one of those, but have played both hockey and squash and enjoyed both, so it's not a million miles away.

• Is anyone on here actually suited to long distance running?!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Not me. I got Rugby 7's, hockey and squash. Never done any of those.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Marrows - where are the pedicured and nicely painted toe nails ? I thought you are a filly ?

SJ - are you doing the Outlaw again, if so please remind me of last years splits and how you think you might compare in each.

Abbers - my youngest played at the new ground on IoW Sunday vs IoW U13s, nice place it was too.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    I re-sat the exam: turns out I'm ideally suited to running very slowly, then drinking cold beer on the beach with Minni! That's a result.

Birch.....there are no words to describe what you posted....
  • VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Well, I'm apparently suited for wrestling, judo, and hockey. Considering I did wrestle, perhaps not all rubbish. Could see Judo, but hockey no way. I don't catch or do well batting/making contact with small, fast moving objects.

Birch, that's an impressive case of rigidus.  Does it move at all?!

You guys are a lively bunch...hard to keep up with all the posts. Needless to say, congrats to all in their races. Good training going on as well. Hope the benched find health soon!

Last week was a cutback for me. Did 43 miles but included a 5K race (very small field) that I managed to win despite overshooting the turnaround (dooh!). Anyway, the ringers slept in that day but still was fun. Feeling more rejuvenated this week. Will see how much tomorrow on my subLT run. Been so hot and humid here. Today did 8M in 86 degrees with 70% humidity. Steam bath.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Tks, Poacher - I'll take that as a compliment from the master . . . . . .
    VTr - no, its fixed in the position portrayed - no pain, though. Nice victory, btw! 

12 miles today, inc 5 x 800m in park, then road efforts (4) of approx 3/4 mile apiece. Legs a bit mashed now. 

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Birch, glad to hear it is pain-free. I've got some arthritis/mobility issues on the same toe. But mine definitely is painful. Not when running, but when trying to move it  or sit on my heels, etc. Mobilizing it seems to really help though. BTW, nice job on the quality stuff today.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

TR, yes indeed, Outlaw again on Sunday. last year vs hoped for splits this year:

swim 1:09 - anything sub 1:10 will do

bike 5:38 - hoping for about 5:30 with fresher legs but at the mercy of wind, rain and mechanicals so you never know.

run 4:28 image - sub 4 is the plan this year, should be a bit cooler (only mid 20s vs 30deg last year) 

transitions a couple of minutes faster than last year - I'm even going to wear a tri suit!

Overall aiming for sub 11 hrs vs last year's 11:28

Feeling confident and excited and hoping the body and the bike hold up well image 

• TRTR ✭✭✭

SJ - sub 11 sounds like an achievable target then, the run split was the weak link. What have you done training wise compared to last year ? swim coaching ? more bike work ? Not sure a Tri Suit will make you quicker esp if you need a scooby !

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

SJ I can't think anout 11 hours of exercise.

Poacher- like your style... 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - good news on the ankle.
    OO - lol!
    Birch - looks like you've lost 9 nails - nice one. Good session too!
    VTr - lovely weather for a run.
    SJ - good luck with Outlaw - nice targets.
    Another 3 x 1km interval session this morning: 3:30, 3:31, 3:29. Faster and more consistent than last week. Still looking a bit weak for a 5:3x mile though.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Mostly more of the same TR but I've managed more biking and a bit more running with a lot of off-road work early on culminating in a 50 mile trail race. Digging deep like that during that race and last year's Outlaw resets a few boundaries in the head so I'm mentally ready - just need to be patient and consistent on the day.  I think experience at IM distance helps a lot having learned lessons last time. Proof of the pudding is in the eating though so I just need to deliver now.......

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Also - I'm back on the beetroot (shits this time which are much easier to take and haven't felt quite the same need to vomit), caffeine depletion and loading and the legs get shaved at the weekendimage The boys on IMTalk reckon that could be worth 4 minutes on the bike .....

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

TR - ah yes, I've heard a lot about the IoW development. There are rumours that Hampshire will be playing a county game over there, maybe a T20 or similar (can't see them moving a championship match to an unproven ground as yet). Would be a big day for the Island if it came off!

Poacher - reckon the drinking cold beer event would be a winner.

VTR - going nicely. Good win; you can only beat those who turn up to race!

Birch - good session. Sounds like hard work, especially in the heat.

SJ - think you meant "shots"? Little Freudian slip there, I hope! image  Either way, you sound well prepared. Best of British to you!

Gul - quick intervals there. More to come on race day too, so the 5:2x is there, surely?image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Hahaha - I hope that isn't a case of predictive text......

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - don't know my number, but probably Kingston kit. Glad your ankle is improving! I ran past a 'free palestine' protest this week. A few metres from the main crowd was a group of ultra-orthodox Jews with banner saying something like 'Judaism rejects zionism and condemns Israeli atrocities'.  I was surprised and looked it up . How curious.

BBC advised against lawn bowls for me. That's fine.

Thanks for the pic, Birch.  5x800m plus 4x1200m is a big old session.

TR, no, i'm not a horse. Are you doign Outlaw too?

SJ - best of luck! I actually just thought you were just saying you preferred symptom A to symptom B image

GD do you really think it's a bit weak for 5:3x? I don't!

Race tomorrow so kept a lid on the commute today, 9:30m/m image

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

00-51- 11 hrs sounds like a world of pain to me as well image

Gul-nice pace 

VT- a win's a win image

18 miles covered this morn which was a lot less than I had planned but I had to walk mile 16 then got going again to 17.25 then walked the rest , 24c today already and all I  hallucinated about was cold drinks image .Not sure what I'm cut out for but running in this heat it sure isn't.

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

SJ, good luck in your race this weekend. Don't think I can fathom that much racing in one stretch either

Gul, nice progress on the repeats.

Marrows, nice job keeping a lid on it...you legs will thank you tomorrow.

Leslie, sometimes hard to beat the heat. I'm similar. Yesterday was going to be my subLT day, but was too hot/humid so pushed it for a much cooler day today. But sometimes no relief is there so you just do it. Well done for getting the work in. Character building at the least.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Marrows - sensible stuff. Hope you're rewarded with a good race performance.

Leslie - in current conditions, 18 is not to be sniffed at. Not many of us are happy running long in the heat.

4 easy ones for me as my running comeback continues. A little discomfort from the leg, but it's fine as long as I don't push harder! The lid will be kept well and truly on for the foreseeable future.

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Abbers - nice swimming and glad your recovery continues - seems like you've got the right approach, which will bring about the required outcome.

Slokey - Good luck with the Outlaw and impressive target.

Marrows - good luck with your race too!

VT - Good win there over 5k. Nothing wrong with a small field - your were there and you won!

More early morning biking for me today.