PTs - yes or no?

Just started training seriously in the last 6 weeks for my first half.

Been running awhile but not consistently or with goals in mind.

Progress so far:

Really great days-  just did my first 9k image  last week a week earlier good speed 5K-  this week  can just make it through 5K! Blame it on the humidity?!

A good basic running app- thinking about getting one for 5K to half training

A few sessions with a  PT-  £40 per hour - cant afford it but am a bit worried can I do this on my own. My half isn't until March next year. What is the opinion  on this for me a beginner tackling my first half? Thanks, K.

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Have you thought about joining your local club? Much cheaper and there should be plenty of advice there.
  • Kate question should be why do you need a PT? They have there place if you can afford them but you will be fine training for a half or marathon on your own unless you have any motivation problems or specail needs in term's of health.

For motivation places like this site can help and if you need or want a training plan you can get one easy off the internet. Rest of that is just down to doing the training and enjoying it. A personal trainer won't make much difference. Depending on where you are I bet there will be a running club nearby that will do the same job as a PT for just the joining fee and will have a lot more chances for beer as well.

Basically I wouldn't worry about one. image

• find a suitable training schedule and then go for it....

I would advise joining a local club where you can get support and advise....

or/ and look for a suitable thread on here.maybe others are doing the same race as you or a half around the same date.share your training and worries with them

£40 is a lot of money especially when most of them know very little about running

• £40 an hour! - I'm in the wrong job - I can shout general encouragement at you down the phone whilst you work out for £20 an hour?

• Hey thanks! Just put that up and wow you guys are great! You all mention running clubs- there is one here but I live in a fairly rural area and they run on a fast A4 road-  I am running on grass around a college- that will be another question about training on grass running on tarmac..but for now- the running club have been known to go out with beginner runners and abandon them half way through the run when they cant keep up plus their starting distance is a good paced 10 K and Im not ready for that.

Hi Cake, I just think I need a PT because I really don't know if I know what I am doing! My first session he told me I wasn't running properly- healing striking etc I corrected that and it has helped but yes this site is great with videos etc.

Hi Rich, shout at me down the phone for £20 an hour?! I can get my ex to do that for free! image

• Running App - Runkeeper - it's free for the basic version and has some free training programs for HM 

http://runkeeper.com/search/fitness-classes/running/finish-a-race/half-marathon-plans

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

pt's as part of their training do not cover running coaching at all. Therefore if you are just after motivation, find a schedule, join a club, find a running partner. A pt will add nothing to situation that the above 3 wont.

• Kate must of us didn't know what we where doing at first a lot of us don't even now. I'd just take a look on here or on a site called fetch and get chatting to folks you will pick up more useful stuff and won't change.

There are good and bad running clubs as with anything else. Bet you even if your rural there will be anouther one around your area. A running buddy can make a lot of difference on those day's you need to train but can't be a*sed and we all get them. Youve got bags of time for the half as well just in case.

• You guys are great! Thanks loads. It really is great to have so much input. I can see that runners really do have a bond and help each other out. I have to say I really love to run and want to do well in this half because I am also doing it to fundraise for a charity that means a lot to me. I thought about quitting yesterday after having such a crappy attempt at just 5K.

Great to have this advice and thank Rich I will download the app.

• Just looked at the apps Rich- look great and I really think maybe I should be starting with a 5K and then to a 10 and then a half marathon plan since I still have 7 months to go!

• Thanks again, off now to make some food!

• and...any further advice about where to start with the app training would be great!

• I was going to suggest the same maybe start with a 5 or 10k training plan. Look at entering a race at the end of the plan - will give you some extra motivation and also a good idea of where you are with your running. Is there a Park Run near to you? (these are free timed 5km runs every saturday morning - usually 9am-  at parks across the country) - great place to have a go at a race and meet other runners. (parkrun.org.uk) - there is a full briefing for new comers before every race. You just join up online, print out a barcode and turn up.

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

kate - you have loads of time to get ready for a half marathon so don't worry!

I am fairly rural and like you, my local running club are a bit fast, so I joined a club a bit further away that are more beginner friendly

parkrun is great - some people walk them, some run/walk and there are some speedy people too, but very friendly and welcoming for beginners

running in the heat and humidity is hard - try going out early morning to miss the heat (well, mostly)

there are loads of different training plans Hal Higdon's are good, but just find one that fits in with what you feel you can do http://www.halhigdon.com/ doing a 10k plan first would be good

• I have recently qualified as a PT and have plenty of running experience, where do you live?  

But seriously in general unless the PT is a runner, and most seem to be more into weights from what I have seen, then go to a running club.  A PT will certainly be able to help with general fitness, nutrition and an overall body plan but you pay a price.  

Of course some people need to be motivated and they should be able to help there but if you can't afford it then follow the advice above.  You'll do well.

• Hey thank you for all the info and advice, really appreciate it. I have heard about the park run and will look it up- thank you for the link - there is one not too far from me but I don't drive these days so would have to take the bus- and I am pretty sure they start before I could get there but will check it  out. This is the same for joining another club. It would be a bit of a challenge I think to get there and run and get back on the bus!

• Hi, yes the running club would be good. I can check the one out here but like I say have heard not so great things about them. I think the PT is a runner but to be honest he spends most of his time running around the common helping well off housewives get into shape with his boot camp! I am pretty well up on nutrition- thanks to the really good articles and recipes in runners world. And I am motivated this is for sure!

Just so everyone know my rather not so great stats- but be gentle! I have only been doing this seriously with intention for 4 weeks and I am yikes! 52 here is my best so far 9 K - average pace 7;09- a really long time- embarrassing! 1:00

and 6K average pace 5:19 in  0032:00 - but yesterday it was really quite not so good!

• I doubt many PTs should be telling you your form is wrong and making you stop heel striking... I'd bin him just for that!

Are Run England /Jog Scotland and various equivalents still going? They tended to be more informal and at various times which might be better.
  • Your times are fine Kate - dont worry about them.

As has been said - most PT's don't know about running - so I'd want to see his results and not just a 'ran a half marathon once' thing.

Any womens running groups around ?