Does anyone else not use a training plan?

2»

Comments

• I do what I want, 3 months into my new hobby now; no injury, and my first Half Marathon in 1:53. I kind of believe no structure reduces the risk of injury, whereas structure improves performance; if you're constantly pushing yourself to hit targets something may give, if you're enjoying yourself progression comes naturally - to a point.

Unless you're professional, be flexible.

• tonyp2604tonyp2604 ✭✭✭

I will tend to agree with what most people are saying on this - there's no ideal for everyone (no - one size fits all). I think that if you are going for a race, especially longer ones such as half/full marathons, it is a good idea to follow a plan but you can do this roughly and not get hung up on missing any particular sessions - don't try to "catch up" - you will only get injured. I think it is important to get a good variety of runs in - mixing speed runs with longer slower ones. After all there are always other things going on in life. I know I could probably do a 3:30 marathon if I stuck rigidly to the training plan but real life does not allow me to go out more than four times a week most of the time.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Come on Dunney, are you making those assumptions off 3months running, and a miniscule amount of mileage? image

The difficulty you'll find, is when you stop improving, and have to actually do a good amount of miles, and work harder. THEN is when structure is pretty key to reduce, and I say reduce not stop, the chance of injuries.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Maxpower North West wrote (see)

But Stevie you have a coach and follow a plan, and get injured on a regular basis.

I reckon you got put on ignore with that comment Max.

I once read that most injuries are a result of training errors. I thought that a bit extreme at the time until I analysed the way my afflictions emerged.

Exactly what those errors are can be hard to pin down, but for me its carrying on regardless with a course of action when its possibly going to make you worse for the experience.

Total recovery and remaining fresh is the key. If you can do that, almost any training will make you a better runner.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Not at all Ric, that's been in place for at least 9 months now image

• I am not sure why but Stevie intrigues me. I think it may be that he seems to tie in his whole self worth with his running. If anyone comes on here with a different view he seems to take it personal. This was best illustrated when Chingo used to post on his thread.

He claimed he stuck me on ignore for comments on the Team GB thread but really he never forgave me for telling him to grow up a few years ago.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I suppose most of us have some means by which we identify ourselves (and others) Max. 

I identify myself as a runner at one level, but more as a runner who actually knows what he's doing. 

🙂

• Ric - serious question alert. Is there any difference between a niggle and an injury? Every year Stevie seems to suffer a 'niggle' or 'lock up' after high mileage. The answer seems to be keep running high mileage slowly and until it disappears. No expert but would have thought getting underlying issue sorted and maybe training differently, maybe less miles but with some very quick (like Dean) would get a better result.

Who knows? I will stick to 5/6 runs a week with 1 being long, 2 with a bit of quicker stuff and the others plodding along. Getting a bit less slow with this and managing to stay 'niggle' free.