Avise on running

What is the mimim distunce for a run? Or is no distunce too big to get your boots our of the cubbord?

Comments

• TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

depends on you and your experience & fitness level, for me less than 5k wouldnt be worth it (interval sessions notwithstanding) but for someone starting out a 30 min walk/run may only be going a mile or so

also, dont wear boots for your runs, its probably not helpingimage

• assuming you're careful and take the appropriate  2 stride warm up (and 2 to cool down) - one whole step flat out would probably be the bare minimum - if you really reduce your stride length you might be able to keep the whole thing under 4 meters. 

• make sure you hydrate and think carefully about fueling strategies - you wouldn't want to hit the wall mid stride...image

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

well......I wouldnt do it but I know a few decent runners who would quite happily go out on a recovery run and do 1-2 miles and be done for the day.

• If you did under 3 miles, you'd have to ask yourself if you actually did a reasonable workout (doesn't apply to beginners).  That's a measly half hour of exertion @10mm pace.  Any less is a missed opportunity. 

• Genuine question here for the OP:

Looking as your posts, your spelling used to be perfectly OK. Now it's very difficult to understand what you write.

What happened?

• Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

I dont tend to run much (if anything) less than five miles. That for me makes it worthwhile going to the effort of getting ready etc.

But think as a general guide 30 minutes would be a good rule of thumb for most people as that probably gives the cardio system a good workout.

Do know people on run streaks who cound a run as 1 mile - not for me but different strokes and all that.

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

Genuine question here for the OP:

Looking as your posts, your spelling used to be perfectly OK. Now it's very difficult to understand what you write.

What happened?

I noticed this too hence my slightly sarcastic reply. Seems to have run a few marathons too so a strange question IMHO 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

it depends what the purpose of the workout is as to whether its a reasonable workout i would have thought. If the work out is a recovery run between two hard sessions and its purpose is just to get some blood flowing and flush the legs ready for the next session then 1-2 miles might well be sufficient to be a reasonable workout.

My shortest run is 30 minutes so about 3.5m. If my legs feel so bad i would just cycle lightly.

• Rich Clark2 wrote (see)
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

Genuine question here for the OP:

What happened?

I noticed this too hence my slightly sarcastic reply. Seems to have run a few marathons too so a strange question IMHO 

You're right, it does seem very strange.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I fairness... are you sure it used to be better... in 2011 it didn't look to hot.... (not that I can really comment as mine is awful at times, must learn to proof read before hitting Submit Reply).

Kent Coastal Half Marathon Posted: 08/08/2011 at 10:40

Ime sure I dun this one before and I wooden mind doing it agen but I canr find my name in the results for the larst 3 years. Is there anoter halve narathon that sterts in Margate? I can defantly remember that horribel sloap you mensioned Chesterfield.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

In answer to the question, yeah I think as a newbie anything counts, once you've got a fair few miles in the bank, it's difficult to see unless you are putting a hell of a lot of effort in what impact a sub 5k run has. I guess it depends on how often you run.

For example you see people saying they have kept streaks of running x days going, and you see some days they have done 1 mile, to keep it going, i'm not sure how much that achieves, I tend to think resting is probably doing you more good then those little runs, but I'm sure others would disagree with that.

• booktrunk wrote (see)

I fairness... are you sure it used to be better... in 2011 it didn't look to hot.... (not that I can really comment as mine is awful at times, must learn to proof read before hitting Submit Reply).

Kent Coastal Half Marathon Posted: 08/08/2011 at 10:40

Ime sure I dun this one before and I wooden mind doing it agen but I canr find my name in the results for the larst 3 years. Is there anoter halve narathon that sterts in Margate? I can defantly remember that horribel sloap you mensioned Chesterfield.

Look at the very earliest ones. He's gone from spelling "opportunity" correctly (which not everyone can do) to not being able to spell half the words he writes.

I'd blame not bothering with spellchecker, except you do have to be somewhere the the ballpark to get a right spelling out of a wrong one. 

1. It's bad form to comment on this in forums.
    2. Both of you made spelling mistakes in the posts, where you commented on his mistakes.
    3. Ah, the irony image
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I did say I made loads of mistakesimage

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

come on faithsdaddy, the odd mispelling in a hurry is one thing, as it's a forum aftre all, not some english literature forum, but the guy makes 5 spell mistakes in a 3 word title, and 1 line post! It's almost like some kind of parody.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    booktrunk wrote (see)

In answer to the question, yeah I think as a newbie anything counts, once you've got a fair few miles in the bank, it's difficult to see unless you are putting a hell of a lot of effort in what impact a sub 5k run has. I guess it depends on how often you run.

For example you see people saying they have kept streaks of running x days going, and you see some days they have done 1 mile, to keep it going, i'm not sure how much that achieves, I tend to think resting is probably doing you more good then those little runs, but I'm sure others would disagree with that.

agree with that trunky. Am not a fan of mileage for the sake of it, and streaks just seem an extenstion of that. Apart from keeping the record going what is the point of a 1miler? And what would be the minimum mileage or pace? Lower the boundary enough and everyone of us has a 20/30 etc year streak going on!

• Stevie G wrote (see)

come on faithsdaddy, the odd mispelling in a hurry is one thing, as it's a forum aftre all, not some english literature forum, but the guy makes 5 spell mistakes in a 3 word title, and 1 line post! It's almost like some kind of parody.

That's almost as many mistakes as you've made in your post, Stevie. image

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

the clues in his last sentence.... image

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

3 miles, or for cross training 20-25mins for me. Anything less doesnt justify the time taken to get changed, showered etc.

• Faithsdaddy wrote (see)
    1. It's bad form to comment on this in forums.
    2. Both of you made spelling mistakes in the posts, where you commented on his mistakes.
    3. Ah, the irony image

My typos are rare (and it wasn't a spelling mistake actually). I do have a decent track record of not making sexist comments in my posts though. That's something you struggle with on occasion, I've noticed.

I rarely comment on spelling at all, it just seems odd that this particular poster seems to have gone from being fairly eloquent to virtually incomprehensible. It isn't any sort of judgement or comment on the the OP himself but since it's something I've never come across before I'm just interested to know if there's a reason why.

• With regular racing and plenty of hard training recently, I've had a quick check back and have logged 8 recovery runs between 1.5m and 2.8m over the last 5 or 6 weeks.

I just do loops of a local playing field until I feel like I've had enough usually, and in all cases I've got back feeling better than when I went out - which is the point of them. As active recoveries between hard efforts, they've most certainly been worth it, and after initial scepticism find this method preferable and more effective than complete rest.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Fuck me, summer has arrived. madness.

It is also between 1.8m and 2.8m for me, but I am talking metres here just for clarification. Glad I could contribute to the data and avise

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Cheerful Dave wrote (see)
    Stevie G wrote (see)

That's almost as many mistakes as you've made in your post, Stevie. image

now now, play nice and give the OP some avise about how to fill his cubbord.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

To be fair, the word cupboardy was used to win a game of Scrabble in an early episode of Little Britain, although there was hypnotism involved, and it is a comedy sketch show.

I think BBB's recovery runs serve to make a reasonable point; if you think a run has served its purpose, it probably has.  It may be difficult to prove that there's been any major physiological benefit beyond just staying at home and watching the telly but if you feel good about your training schedule you're more likely to stick to it.

• I doant tend 2 bother 4 less than 10kay tbh, Arkinshaw. hope helps

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Very odd. Somewhere between 2010 and 2011 the spelling has declined dramatically. Hope everything is ok with the OP as he is asking an odd question for someone with a decade of experience.
  • It does seem slightly worrying. Unless someone else is using his account maybe? image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

lets all relax eh. Maybe he just upgraded to a smart phone, and finds it harder to type on there!

• I struggle with the size of the font on my iPad Mini but I'm not that bad image