workplace bullying

This has been happening to me for the last few months and it  has got to the point of job hunting which i do not want to do.    I like my job where i am. 

So, reporting the issue to the management, has anyone been successful in get the individual pulled up on it?

Currently their trick is to totally hamper me getting my work done when i rely on them to do their bit, arsy comments in front of others, snide remarks etc.   I have spoken to my useless manager in April, sent him an e mail following it up, spoke to him again in June and so far sod all has happened.

So today i have requested the work place policy on bullying and what they could do.  hopefully this will jump start them in to being concerned.

I have been down this road in the past and fought it on my own.  Sad thing this it has gotten right under my skin. 

Has anyone got any advise especially with the work place policy?   Most places will have similar views.

Thanks

CC

Comments

• Are you a union member, if so speak to your rep, if not - get one!

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Perhaps try taking it up with the HR department...  Or if you're a union member as RicSure has suggested.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

In my own experience and my wife's, we found reporting the problem to 'management' causes a problem. For yourself.

Their attitude was 'thank's you've just given us a problem, it's only you being got at, so the problem is you, if you disappear so does the problem'. Job done.

In my case the 'culprit' got away with it for ages due to their persuasive nature. However, when I went off ill with the stress, the shit really hit the fan. Seems the boss hadn't forgotten how me, learning to speak Japanese had helped cement relations with our overseas partner.

On my return, the oik was now on a contract and 12 weeks later was gone for good. I was made supervisor.

My wife was bullied out of the NHS. Her union was as much use as 'tits-on-a-boar'.

🙂

• CheshercatCheshercat ✭✭✭

Thanks for the advice.   Not a member but only takes a click on their webpage and payment.  Will be doing that later today. 

RicF - myy concern is if i raise it officially i will look like a trouble maker but why should people get away with it?   Parr from nailing his head to the table i can not do a lot.

current issues are not getting work to me ontime when promised so making my work late for the customer, sarcastic comments to those around and generally being a total shit. 

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Some thoughts.

1. Forget HR. Their job is to support managers, not staffers.
    2. If you're joining a union only now, check if there are any rules about how much they can do for you (like talk to lawyers, for example) if you've got a pre-existing issue.
    3.You need evidence. Keep a diary of all incidents. If he sends you work late - email him to say so. If you have a difficult encounter with him, email him afterwards to ask him to confirm that he said or did whatever it was. Create an email trail. If he's got any brains, he'll spot this and back off. Avoid contact with him without others being within earshot. Use your smartphone's voice recorder function. Find out if this guy is targeting only you or is a shit to everyone.
    4. If he is only a shit to you, then ask yourself why. And I note that you say you have been subjected to bullying before. So be honest with yourself and ask if there is something you are doing.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

5. Is this person superior to you? If so, remember the power dynamic. A company and HR will always side with the manager, regardless of his or her behaviour.
    6. If the person is a manager, does he know the effect his behaviour is having on you? If not, tell him. He cannot now say he is unaware.
    7. If the person is a colleague, do as No 6 but add a brisk "feckin' well knock it off because it's not acceptable".

• HR are a waste of time, they're certainly not there to help you the employee. Been suggested try a union but sadly the unions are in the back pocket of the employer as well( find out who it is and I bet he/she is the untouchable one in your place) best thing to do is face up to the bully, politely, controlled but with real meaning.

All the best to you.

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

If you have a staff handbook that should state your employer's procedures, which should give you information about who to complain to and how your complaint will be dealt with.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Can I ask how someone being slow delivering their work is bullying?

• kittenkat wrote (see)
    Muttley wrote (see)

Some thoughts.

1. Forget HR. Their job is to support managers, not staffers.
    2. If you're joining a union only now, check if there are any rules about how much they can do for you (like talk to lawyers, for example) if you've got a pre-existing issue.
    3.You need evidence. Keep a diary of all incidents. If he sends you work late - email him to say so. If you have a difficult encounter with him, email him afterwards to ask him to confirm that he said or did whatever it was. Create an email trail. If he's got any brains, he'll spot this and back off. Avoid contact with him without others being within earshot. Use your smartphone's voice recorder function. Find out if this guy is targeting only you or is a shit to everyone.
    4. If he is only a shit to you, then ask yourself why. And I note that you say you have been subjected to bullying before. So be honest with yourself and ask if there is something you are doing.

Why are you assuming it's a man?

Maybe use of the word 'his' lead to that assumption.

• Big_G wrote (see)

Can I ask how someone being slow delivering their work is bullying?

On its own it isn't but it's part of a wider pattern if you re-read the original post.

Then again, some of the crap people pull is to cover their own backsides. This is where keeping an email trail comes in handy. I had one tw*t that would regularly send me arsey questions about why stuff hadn't been done, copying in her own manager and anyone else she thought might be important.

The email trail always showed that the reason stuff hadn't been done was because she hadn't provided the info I needed when I'd asked for it.

I must have embarrased the hell out of her at least half a dozen times. In fact, I actually ended up looking forward to her emails.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    XX1 wrote (see)

If you have a staff handbook that should state your employer's procedures, which should give you information about who to complain to and how your complaint will be dealt with.

A properly thought-out bullying and harassment (dignity at work, etc, lots of names) policy will have grievances under this category treated differently from ordinary grievances. In my workplace they are handled by HR and managers from another part of the organization. Although we're pushing to have them taken outside altogether and handled by external people.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Scream, I did read the original post but (and please Cheshercat, don't take this wrong way) it seemed the main gripe was with this chap not delivering stuff on time and it's causing the OP stress, and I was wonder if the chap's other "attitude" issues were due to this underlying problem.  As others have said, I'd have have this chap's tasks agreed and written down, and basically mark them as Red/Undelivered and circulated to whoever needs to see it.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

"Currently their trick is to totally hamper me getting my work done when i rely on them to do their bit, arsy comments in front of others, snide remarks etc."  

I can see that they are 1) a bit shit at their job and 2) bitchy but how and when did they bully you?

Also can you be sure thet they are not in fact mentally ill have have, say personality problems of their own?

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

well I mention it becasue I can think of one colleague who, putting it delicately, was (and remains) a complete and utter grade A basstard. Very clever and youd usually learn something if you paid attention when talking to him on any work related topic, but all the people skills of a can of nerve gas. I had the displeasure of working in his team back in the day and I really wouldnt wish that on anyone. Absolute arsehole.

He has since moved on. Thinking backm, and knowing what I now know (for other non work related reasons) I'm convinced that he is in fact bipolar.

Dont get me wrong, I think he is an utter prick and wouldnt piss on him if he were on fire. But I do think that he has an undiagnosed mental condition. 

This guy is an urban cyclist too. Just saying.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

kittenkat wrote (see)
    Nayan wrote (see)

well I mention it becasue I can think of one colleague who, putting it delicately, was (and remains) a complete and utter grade A basstard. Very clever and youd usually learn something if you paid attention when talking to him on any work related topic, but all the people skills of a can of nerve gas. I had the displeasure of working in his team back in the day and I really wouldnt wish that on anyone. Absolute arsehole.

He has since moved on. Thinking backm, and knowing what I now know (for other non work related reasons) I'm convinced that he is in fact bipolar.

Dont get me wrong, I think he is an utter prick and wouldnt piss on him if he were on fire. But I do think that he has an undiagnosed mental condition. 

This guy is an urban cyclist too. Just saying.

Now you've got me wondering if urine has ever been successful in putting out a fire.

Apparently so:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-03/27/content_837217.htm

• CheshercatCheshercat ✭✭✭

interesting comments!  This has been going on for months, i can cope with someone being crap but this is deliberate.  Then again i am not expecting the management to do a damn thing, so it is the job hunting avenue i will go down. 

Oh, Muttley, last time was 15 years ago and i do not make it a habit of mine to be feel the victim.  This time however i have customers wanting work and i can not get it to them, thus it makes me look like i am shit at my job.  I'm not.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Cheshercat, are you saying that the management don't care if your colleague misses his deadlines?

If so, I can't really think why that would be the case, unless he is working on other stuff that they deem more important for him to be working on?  

Do you control all his work, or is he "matrixed" in to you?  If he's matrixed in to you, have you spoken to his manager to get agreement on the chap's priorities and suitable/agreed timescales around his other work?

• Alternatively, you could just front up to him and ask him outright what his problem is.  Bullies hate being confronted, especially in front of other people.  Maybe take the track with him that others have mentioned, (i.e. are you struggling with workload, do I need to ask for some help for you to get my stuff done etc etc) I'm sure being shown up publicly like this would assist with his motivation. 

If that fails, a sharp jab to the ribs..........?!!?!?  (Joking!!) image

• kittenkat wrote (see)
    NetanyahuTheWarCriminal wrote (see)
    Nayan good point!

Chesher- do you work with kukluxkat? That would explain the slight vagueness and unwillingness to 'sex' the bully.

Piss off and stop calling me names. It's not the school playground.

Only fights I got into at school was standing up to bullies. Been a while but I would gladly come out of retirement to kick Netanyahu's butt. You are a bully and I am interested why you continue to pick on a lady. Nick W has called you out a few times and noticed you don't get lippy with him.