Sub 3h15

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭

SJ - the trail race will have done your IM hopes good then, and like you say you are a year wiser. Just make sure you get the nutrition right. If you have already got stiff shoes, aero bottles and pointy hat etc then shaving your legs is next I guess, I have none of those so keep them hairy !

Marrows - paint them red then please. I'm more of a Swashbuckler than an Outlaw myself or more like I have a self imposed 1/2 IM upper limit due to the amount of "me" time I'm prepared to put in.

Abbers - it woudl take some temporary seating to stage a county game there but could be done.

• Poacher - which hotel have you booked for Comrades?

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo does this the pass has been issued???? I'm in Protea Edward as taking MrsP who wants a nice pool. Otherwise I'd start by looking at Bluewaters or Belaire. All on the seafront. I used Bluewaters, it was a bargain on Agoda
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Abbers - Good to hear your comeback continues. 5:2x would be great, but unlikely. It's certain to be a solo effort, even though I did set up the event on the MT website!
    marrows - good luck with the race today.
    Leslie - 18 miles is good going in this heat.
    4.5 mile recovery run d&d. The dog might be going home today which will mean one less thing to do in the morning.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

hang in there Abbers, slow and steady will get you back soon enough

2 kilos added in Paris this week, it's gonna be a bleak weekend.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Fishy - biking because you're another tri type, or because you prefer a mix of training?

TR - would be quite a coup if it happened, bearing in mind they've ditched all their other out-grounds (Bournemouth, Basingstoke, Portsmouth). Having invested all the money they have in the Rose/Ageas Bowl, I can understand why they use it as much as they can, but reaching out to the Island would be a good gesture I think. Are you and the lads going along to the Test at all? A group of us from my club are going on Monday.

Gul/OO-51 - slow & steady it is, just need to avoid aggravating it over the final 6 league weekends (plus tour), and then I can focus purely on the running again. Gul, without the dog, you'll be able to lie in until about 4am! image  OO-51, was Paris with work again?

Hope SJ is getting the carbs in and his feet up.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Pub last night image

Carbing it up today though - just had a monstrous pile of sweet potato wedges. nom nom nom

TR, I just think that shaving bits off might add to the sense of occasion image 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Good luck, SJ and Marrows (I hope I've got that right!).

18M for me, taking advantage of a day out of court to free up some time for marathon spectating rather than LSR-ing on Sunday image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

3.5 miles skipping with my Nordic poles this morning, misty here on the beach. Legs feel good, coming back nicely from last weekend's efforts- lets see how the parkrun goes tomorrow.

Yes Paris was work Abbers, 3 weeks Geneva 1 week Paris is about the average.

Nice weather for a long run Speedy.image   

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

3 weeks Geneva, 1 week Paris...... Sounds awful.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Have a great time in Glasgie, Jools (& Speedy)

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Are Minni and MsE doing the Thunder Run this weekend?

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Abbers - I'm not a tri type as, despite my name, I'm not a great swimmer. Biking, because I've always liked it and find it mixes well with running + it keeps my right knee nice and healthy.

Slokey - Nice carbs! Good luck

00-51 - Does using Nordic poles help with recovery? I often see runners & hikers round here using them...and have often wondered.

Jools - Great LSR/Commonwealth Games planning and another good 18m

7.5 by the sea this evening, searching about the coastal breezes.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Are you using the park and ride facility Jools?

I'm up there on Friday to watch Mo not competing.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

OK run tonight at the 7K, and very nice event! Oodles of club runners and lots around my pace to chase including one who often pops up just ahead of me - I hung on for 3K this time - one day I will catch you! Not sure of splits since no km markers and Garmin struggled and thought I ran 7.15km: 3:52, 3:48, 3:53, 4:00, 4:02, 4:01, 4:05 and last little bit at 3:39/km for 28:11 total.  That completes my running week, 61M and I will not run this weekend.  Next is a 10K four weeks from now and the obvious target is sub 40 but may be a stretch. Hmm.

Happy racing this weekend, SJ and MsE and Minni?

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

will marigold have yellow hair again?

and what has become of samir haddad?

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

OO - you need to work somewhere less gastronomically appealing.
    Abbersb - the dog is going home today, but we're talking about looking after her on a semi-permanent basis as the in-laws are finding a bit much now. I'll have to switch to middle-distance running!
    SJ - good luck!
    Jools - nice LSR. Enjoy the marathon.
    Fishy - took the dog for a walk on the beach last night and it felt a bit nippy with the sea-breeze.
    marrows - nice racing. Enjoy the rest this weekend.
    Progressive run for me this morning. w/u @ 7:32, then 4 tempo miles 6:58, 6:38, 6:30 and 6:14, w/d 8:11.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    SJ: no. Will travel in by train or bus from my sister's then walk down to Glasgow Green.

Marrows: well done on the 7k. Must have been odd racing without km markers!

Best of luck to thunder runners. Rather you than me!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure what good the poles do fishy but I often use them for recovery or warm up. I live at the coast and only ever use them on sand. This morning I skipped 2.5 miles with the poles an hour before the parkrun, just as a warm up.

2nd at the parkrun in 17:50, right up there with my best times in spite of the heat.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Top bombing, marrows, and good training block; pea-shelling of the highest order, OO.
    Good early doors session, Gul - is Mable stil on the (prospective) table?

A rather warm 20 this morn - my running pal showed she is back in business after a childbirth/infant caring break by putting the boot in from 14 - 17 (where she peeled off), leaving my legs to jellify at around 18 miles; so a laborious last couple of miles ensued! Pretty dehydrated, must have had about 4 pints of squash so far  . . . .

• Good session Gul - looking good for the mile.

Bet you were pleased with that run Marrows - you too OO.

Hope you enjoy the Games Jools - will be keeping my fingers crossed for Marigold. One of our club, Luke Caldwell, is running in the 5000m this evening. Great inspiration for the juniors to be able to see how far someone who started in the junior section can go.

Poacher - haven't sorted out the pass out yet, but I'm making good progress! 

Pleasing 11 miles for me this morning - longest run for nearly 3 months. Plenty of hills so average pace of 7:50 shows I haven't lost too much fitness.

Sitting in the sun at Tooting athletics track about to watch younger Lorenzito have another crack at the 3000m but they've had an hour's delay while they sort the seedings for the 100m races out. No idea what they've been up to!!

• I raced a 5k on Wednesday night in the sweltering heat of New York and came home second of 166 in 19:08. Bit of an odd race: lots of super-fast high school lads shot out and died very soon, but also another vet who should have known better was ahead of me after one lap and running alongside the 17 year old winner but ended up over a minute back. I wish the winner was a year younger as then I would have been 3 times his age!

Got back to find that I had been signed up to pace the Dorney Dash 10k at 40 minutes:  I reckon it is a bit of a stitch up as we have a club champs race on Wednesday and nobody else wanted a hard one so close. Set out and there was a big bunch, maybe 20 runners, all aiming at sub 40. I was told "even pace" so I said "off you go, if you are to beat 40 you need something in the bank" but nobody did. We hit the 4 minutes per km pretty well and got a few seconds banked but even at the 2.5 km turn (effectively 2 out and backs) the group was thinning and 19:5x at half way saw about a dozen enter the water station and maybe only eight come out in the pack. 5 to 7.5 was into the wind so kept it on 4 dead and then 7.5 back home had a tail wind and quite good cooling as well. By then we were about 4 or 5 and a couple pushed on to go comfortably inside 40 and I pulled the last few and swept up a couple more who had gone out fast and needed a push at the end.

Saw a few familiar faces from various threads, always nice to out a face to a made up name.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nice to meet you today PMJ. The heat did for me today. A disappointing 43.02 yet recent training suggests a sub 42 and comfy PB would have been on in slightly cooler conditions. Finished 87th in a 850+ field so the heat must have taken its toll on many. Lots of ambulance activity too, I hope all those that needed attention went home safe and well.

Still, looking for positives, this is the best shape I've been in for this time of year for many years as I seek to build a solid base upon which to build for the winger Brighton mara campaign.

SB
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

00-51- great 5k time image

Marrows- nice racing

Birch -jelly legs , had that this week as well 

Lorenzo- nice 11

Pmj-nice pacing 

SB- the heat is too much for most of us never mind racing in it.

Rest yesterday, rest today bit of a chesty cough and no energy ,Lurgy here again and in this very short mara campaign my target time now looks impossible .

• Sporty, as far as I know, all were OK, but 4 ambulances in one event after 30 years with zero is a statistical oddity.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

First race in the heat is usually the hardest each summer SB.One trick is to do a few mid day training runs to get used to it. I often take my top off as well in races, makes quite a bit of difference. Remember to put it back on before the finish though...

16 planned for the morning would bring up 40 for the week + 2 skipping efforts. Junior's run of good form has ended with a foot injury- hopefully off the bench to join me for a few gentle ones tomorrow.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

At the race start - no. 778 if anyone gets incredibly bored todayimage 

Onwards!

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Hello All,

Been lurking and reading back but thought I would drop in and say Hello, Not much going on here.

Enjoyed the commonwealth mara this am - particularly the Steve Way interview.image

Go well Slokey!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Quick check in

had a fantastic day and a great result - 10:29:38!!!!! Including a 3:45 marathon image 

Where the hell did that come from?  Felt great all day (apart from a couple of short sticky patches) and then really struggled on the last 2 miles (it's always the way isn't it?) culminating in a comedy dive over the finish line through the tape. If that doesn't get on the tv highlights I'll be very disappointedimage

right, time for ice cream!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Slokey .brilliant time.