Sub 3

Comments

• Good to see Marigold's various interviews, impressive mileage and long (and quick) runs SL

Feel like I'm getting back into it a bit with a decent long (-ish, for non-marathon training) run of 13 @6:28min/mile, bit of cycling in the afternoon as well as going touring up the East coast of Ireland in a few weeks and don't want to get too broken by it - think the plan involves a few ~100mile days so should probably get a bit more in before then.

Also thinking about next race to aim for, any suggestions for a late Autumn (ideally November) half marathon? Want to (hopefully) go under 70mins and should make a decent base for winter cross country.

• The world of twitter seems to unanimously agree that Marigold is inspirational and a top bloke. The Lineker interview was excellent, but Marigold if you really want to be a top athlete you'd better stop being so amusing and entertaining.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Yes, inspirational, Marigold!

Enjoyed the Lineker interview but who were the two guys sitting between Lineker and the new UK vet record holder? No doubt they were big in their own sports. Just guessing.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • I'm feeling charitable...happy to push the boat out to a fair effort, son. Just thankful I'm nigh on 45. Dan If you did your research properly you'd see someone also in 83rd not to mention Steve's physio putting about 10minutes into him in a credible 171st ;o)

Having witnessed first hand just how hard the guy trains (and how grounded he is) can't be many success stories more richly deserved.

As you were.

• Lineker is one thing, but to be sat on a couch with Clare Balding means you've really made it. The BBC has officially become Steve Way's No 1 fan....how long til SPOTY? In retrospect Marigold, you've really missed a trick. If only you had credited your weightloss/improvement to the "Steve Way Diet", or some food brand and your days of sleeping in your camper van would be at an end.

Good that Mrs Marigold got a piece of the TV action. Another very comfortable appearance. Don't think there's been a couple that can take such media interest in their stride since Posh and Becks.

Anyway, having really enjoyed watching it all today I think it's now time for a backlash since my family cheer loudly when ever he's on the telly (which means every 45 mins) and say nice things about him. I could win a park run and they would still just moan at me as usual..... don't know about you but I'm sick of the bastard already.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Had an awesome morning watching the marathon in Glasgow. Saw Steve just after the start, at halfway and in the finishing straight, including his superb finish to grab 10th. A particularly brilliant random brilliant moment was noticing a couple of other pink Way of Steve t-shirts and cheerily saying to them "we match". The eldest lady ran over and hugged me and said "I'm Steve's mum". So lovely!
  • Awwww that's a sweet story.

Any reason why he couldn't be nominated for SPOTY? In a year notable for many British sporting failures how about the heart-warming tale of a 40 yr old everyday smoking drinking 'fat bloke' becoming the 1st English athlete in the men's Commonwealth marathon etc. etc.? After all, it's supposed to be based on 'personality.'

• It's never actually been based on 'personality' though, it's a popularity contest.  There'll be a bunch of heartwarming 'against all the odds' stories out of the Commonwealth games, including marigold, but by December, after 4 months of wall-to-wall football, they'll all be forgotten by the public at large.  Rory McIlroy is a shoe-in for SPOTY anyway, even though he's declared himself Irish when the Olympics come around.

• Oooohhh, it's that old "personality" debate. I think the context of the word is meant to be "person" (see definition 2 in the Oxford English Dictionary) and the emphasis being on "sports" too. If "personality" referred to the definition of a combination of traits then the winner would be something like

"This year the winner is anger at losing and determination not to let it happen again"

Rather than an actual individual.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

CRAB - 1h29? Didn't you have a 2.48 mara PB at the time? We're you going through a far knacker phase too at the time?

A mate asked me last week why I hadn't entered the CWG marathon? If I had I could have had a good head to head with that lad from Tonga. image

SPOTY? Nah, I'm voting for Jordan Henderson. 

Jools, I expect the other woman was Aunty Pat. 

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

By the time I went to bed yesterday Marigold was starting to annoy me with the sheer about of coverage he was getting, interviews next to Sirs, Olympic legends etc. I'm not jealous at all.

Seriously, it was absolutely awesome, particularly given I know he's genuinely a top bloke and has worked so hard for it.

A massive opportunity missed though by not claiming the entire change in his fitness was due to beetroot juice. It would have been awesome if he'd told Clare Balding that he still smokes, eats kebabs etc., but he just started drinking more and more beetroot juice and the times kept coming down.

Also didn't mention Bosch, red shoes etc. Very poor...

Not much news from me - leg is getting less painful but still very swollen. It is showing signs of improvement at least and even survived a wedding at the weekend.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Brilliant performance by Marigold yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed the interview too. Very impressed by Shelley and Trengrove also. The top Aussies do seem to have a knack of getting their preparation spot on.

Like Padams (glad to hear the leg is improving), not much news from me either. The hayfever finally got the better of me midweek, so I got put on extra meds to try sort it and didn't run from Wednesday until yesterday.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Marigold's latest media stop - Radio 5 around 8:30 this morning.

Sorry to hear about your road incident Padams.  I got hit by a car about 6-7 years ago fortunately not at high speed.  I skidded across the road after falling just managing to stop before heading into oncoming traffic.  Luckily it was winter so I had tracksters and  long sleeve top on.  Still lost a fair bit of skin but in summer I would have been a stickier mess I reckon.  All the best for your recovery, sounds like a frustratingly slow process.

• Oh, look who's on BBC1's Breakfast show.... It's that bloke off the telly.
  • Ps, that bloody track suit must need a good wash.
  • Superb running Steve. Very inspiring. What makes it extra special in my eyes is this - I work in a department of around 60 people and today after cycling in, everyone knows I cycle / run a lot and am pretty dedicated....

Sitting having breakfast around 10 of us are talking about general stuff - no one else is remotely interested in running I add!

Then the convo between everyone goes off track....

"Hey Scott" if you keep training you'll be like that guy on TV last night who did the marathon did you see it?

"that Steve guy, you know he used to smoke?

"Yeah he's 40 too"

"he's amazing"

"how does he do it"

"Omg he lives near me, a famous guy lives near me"

Just some random comments from my co workers image

Very inspiring for all! Be proud

You weren't shit either !
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Pi ManPi Man ✭✭✭

just popping out of hiding to say well done to Steve. Fantastic image

Not had the telly on recently, any links to highlights/interviews etc. ?

PS I may have an Abo place going spare soon - following a 15 mile race (unprepared) 3 weeks ago I've barely been able to run due to tight quads/ITB/TFL .

• no wikipedia page yet. can't be long....oh and the knighthood

• Couldn't resist to also come out of hiding and congratulate Marigold on a very inspiring performance!

What's next? The Marigold lean grilling machine? How long before he agrees a book deal and a film about his life? Russell Crow could play him... or Tom Hanks!image

• Just popping in to say a big well done to Marigold. I hope you make a sackful of cash from your new found fame. Saw the TV coverage but sadly missed the post race interviews.

I thought that the race on TV was awful. The only check point I could make out on the course was halfway, and the guy who kept appearing telling us what was available on the red button was most annoying. Worst of all was them not getting Marigold crossing the finish line. He may have been 10th but it was a V40 British record for god sakes.

Went on to Powerof10 this morning and got a real idea how good his V40 performance was. Ahead of Nick Rose, Hugh Jones, Eamonn Martin, Paul Evans and of course the legendary Ron Hill. Does make you think what might have happened had he listened to his teacher and tried a bit harder in his school cross country runs?

Anyway inspirational stuff but not inpirational enough for me to dust of my trainers and shoot for a V60 marathon British record in 2016. Lots of achillies problems. I can run but anything over 2 hours and I'm generally limping the next day. Such is life.

Dull
  • He was on the tv again this morning?! I'm with LD time for the backlash to begin, I thought he was pushing it already when he was on with Balding last night, but this is too much... 

• Good points about the TV coverage. Motor racing goes on for a good couple of hours and they frequently show battles going on behind the leader. Marigold v that Scottish bloke could have been a focus....as could some interest in the back markers. Presumably there's some story there?

Been said before of course, but neither Foster nor Cram were marathon runners. Radcliffe has the experience but is clueless. Compare that to David Coulthard's insight.

Maybe a bit of research in advance and they could have had some archive footage relating to Scotland marathon running?
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

All that was needed to entice Dull back was someone coming 10th in the CG. If only I'd known I would have done it a while back! Good to see you and to hear you're still running a bit. I'm sure people would like you to keep posting even if you're not marathon training or running much!

Agree with others - I would have loved to have seen the battle for top Brit. Why couldn't they have put that on the red button? At least we got to see Hawkins being sick all the way up the home straight.

• I haven't been on here in ages, but literally just saw the marathon results from the weekend. Wow, what an improvement from an already outstanding level!

• TmothTmoth ✭✭✭

Utterly inspirational Marigold.

Huge congratulations!

a thousand kowtows....

doing it with a smile (mostly!)

• Dull mentions Eamonn Martin as a 40 year old. He was trying to break the world record for a 40 year old in the 1999 London Marathon, so wasn't going through the motions. He thought Ron Hill's record would be quite easy, but was wrong.

I seem to recall Noakes making mention of it in his book.

Anyway, this was the article just prior to 1999. Martin (who ran at 3 Olympic Games and held all sorts of British track records as well as winning the London Marathon) sees himself still as a runner and not a veteran runner.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/london-marathon-the-boy-racer-enters-roaring-forties-1086614.html
  • Good article LD, Martin does a bit of coaching too, I was lucky enough to meet him and train with him on an England Athletics training day a couple of years back, nice bloke but he tore my legs off that day!
  • bainspjbainspj ✭✭✭

Massive congratulations Marigold... a convincingly not sh*t performance!

While I would admit that the coverage of the race was not the best (two races simultaneous just did not work for TV in my opinion and I would've loved "brit watch" on the red button), I do not agree with those saying that Paula doesn't know her stuff.  I think she adds a significant amount to the coverage and some valuable insights.

I'd also say in the BBC's defence... when they were discussing whether Susan Partridge should cover the attacks.... they were discussing how she looked uncertain at what she should do.  I couldn't have agreed more.  She seemed to tentatively chase the three as they broke away.  I got the impression she knew it was the "wrong" thing to do but that her sense of occassion made her want to make that gamble.  I thought they summed up the moment pretty well.

Going back a few conversations to a bit of Farah-bashing (which I didn't agree with either): last week's athletics weekly has an article at the back saying that he has blocked both AW and Jason Henderson (editor) from following his tweats.  It isnt known why this is the case (they had some guesses why, but all seemed pretty ridiculous), but I fear it just doesnt look good for the boy.... is the fame going to his head?

Dont want to be the serial disagree-er, so will end with ... nice-long run PP.  Stellar stuff in these conditions.

• Crawling out from under a rock and onto the Marigold bandwagon, better late than never image Congratulations!

Love the idea of SPOTY. Maybe if we start a Twitter campaign?!? Or how about Lord Marigold of Poole, government spokesperson for healthy living. Compulsory 100K races in schools, free beetroot juice for every child! Alright, I'm getting carried away now...

I'm back at it after a lengthy Achilles rehab. Managed 27 miles last week, that's from a base of zero at the beginning of June. Achilles is holding up OK, but my knees are creaking somewhat.

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

TV coverage of marathons & road racing by the BBC is awful. Compare with Eurosport or even US coverage. 

I like Cram and Paula can be pretty insightful on tactics etc; but there is/was no background on any of the Brits (or anyone else).  If I can know which races they've run, what their PBs are, their head to head records, what jobs they do, what clubs they represent, and so on.....it's inexcusable for the commentary team not to know it. They even have researchers to do the work for them. 

Paula being unable to pronounce Jo Zakrzewski's name was embarrassing. Look it up in advance FFS. I doubt she'd even heard of her until that morning. 

No offence HR, but without the charity stories and the fancy dressers, the BBC seem at a loss to deal with it as a two hour plus serious sporting event. 

For a sport so heavy on statistics, timings and numbers, the BBC seem almost scared of them. I recommend listening to the Tony Reavis (US commentator) interview on Marathon Talk a couple of years back. He sums up the issue very well.