Overdone it?

Comments

• DT - The family are away at the moment, the little funster is at summer school. That's why I scheduled all this racing for this month. I didn't mean to imply Lit was definitely doing Notts half, just that I forgot to mention it last night.

Richard - well done on the pb ! (party hat smiley)

Do you know much about the Falkirk parkrun, probably doing that with hangover Aug. bank holiday weekend.
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

Wow, wow, wow and wow!  Massive 5k/parkrun pbs. imageimageimageimage

Well done all and especially Richard, who has put me firmly back in my place as thread slowcoach image.  Must be more to come from you lot too, given the current muggy conditions.

• Wel done everyone!imageimageimageimage(one each!)

4 PBs in 2 days - awesome.

Lit - one of those wonderful occasions where the achievement and the time are both so fantastic that its hard to know which you should be more pleased with - I guess County Champion as you may beat the time. Hopfuly you will be able to find a few wiry Scottish lassies who can give you more of a race.

A quick check on Power of 10 shows that places you about 80th in the UK this year but also if you look at 5k track there is a UK 100 target of sub 17:45 which may be possible on the track (my assumption is track is faster than road)?

So top 50 in Uk for marathon and top 100 for 5k - quite a good year so far - make sure you don't enter any 10 milers!image

Muddy, Bob and Richard - all good PBs and you must all be delighted. I'm pleased I made 10k the deciding distance or I'd be heading for the silver league soon. If you want a bit more praise you need to race at separate times to thread wonder woman - no surprise that you were able to win the fancy dress competition Lit!

PS Coach you must be very proud of your fillyimage

• Congrats on the PB, Richardimage Get a few more parkruns in (and do your laces up properly image ) and there'll be plenty more to come off that as well I'm sure.

Good biking, DT.

Perhaps I'm being too hard on myself, but I'm still annoyed. 19:03 officially. I guess most of my sessions have been aimed at shorter stuff than 5k specifically, but if I take Dicky Wilkinson (one of the better V50s on the local circuit) who I beat over 3000m in the T&F County Champs, and finished a stride behind in the 5k at Wollaton Park recently - he ran 18:26 last night. He's perhaps had a blinder, but I shouldn't have lost 37 seconds to him. 18:59 was really my B target last night. Under my hat A target was 18:45, and I've seen nothing to change my mind that that's what I should have run. Unfortunate to get isolated like I did perhaps, but that second mile was bobbins and I clearly didn't grit my teeth and push on as I should have done. Looks like I was trying by the end though:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3920/14743396141_8ccb5480b7_c.jpg

• Plenty more opportunities to correct that Bob, so I wouldn't be too disappointed for too long if I were you. Get out and set it straight. Nothing wrong with putting the race under the microscope to learn some lessons though.

My reading of it was that the second mile was tough, mostly uphill, and was a relative shock to the system after the start.

Official time for me for thread posterity is 18:19. Don't think I'll be getting near that for a while now.

That hedge isn't trimming itself today ! Bit pooped after a short blast with the club this morning, telling myself I'll get out there when it's cooler later and anyway there's rhythmic gymnastics on the box.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

Wel done everyone!imageimageimageimage(one each!)

4 PBs in 2 days - awesome.

Lit - one of those wonderful occasions where the achievement and the time are both so fantastic that its hard to know which you should be more pleased with - I guess County Champion as you may beat the time. Hopfuly you will be able to find a few wiry Scottish lassies who can give you more of a race.

A quick check on Power of 10 shows that places you about 80th in the UK this year but also if you look at 5k track there is a UK 100 target of sub 17:45 which may be possible on the track (my assumption is track is faster than road)?

So top 50 in Uk for marathon and top 100 for 5k - quite a good year so far - make sure you don't enter any 10 milers!image

Muddy, Bob and Richard - all good PBs and you must all be delighted. I'm pleased I made 10k the deciding distance or I'd be heading for the silver league soon. If you want a bit more praise you need to race at separate times to thread wonder woman - no surprise that you were able to win the fancy dress competition Lit!

PS Coach you must be very proud of your fillyimage

Sometimes it just goes perfectly, and the progress is monumental image
    And to think one random day on some random thread I just casually said to Lit that I think I should start coaching her! We're creating a monster, and despite my grouchy keep your feet on the floor style demeanour, I don't like to place any limits, so let's keep it going!

Skinny, use this as motivation, as when we get you back 100%, you've got pbs across all distances in you yet. I'm also using this as some inspiration, as I try and get my flexibility better than "97 year old man" levels.

As for Lit. It's time to get some other pbs trimmed while things are going nicely. A wise man once told me that you never know what life will throw at you, so we'll take advantage and get stuff logged while we can. I won't mention any specifics, as Lit can reveal stuff as and when it suits her, but there's a plan pretty much in place to the end of the year now.

An old female pal of mine is up in Scotland, and very similar in times, so at least we can check out the races she's done and get a handle on the scene up there, and at best their paths may cross at some race or other.

• Wow! blummin' impressive performance all roundimageimage...even Bob.  Just joking - you shouldn't be so hard on yourself.  Why if I had pound for every time I only acheived my C target...etc etc.

Muddy - my do you say you think you won't get close to 18:21 in the near future?

• Lou - Good question. 

At the moment I'm doing mostly easy/steady paced miles and not increasing mileage too much in order that I can fit a mini taper in between races. The races count as my hard session for the week.

After the next two 10k races, I will be looking towards two half marathons and will be pushing steady/threshold mileage a bit more and spreading it more over the week, so it's likely I'll not be very fresh when it comes to 5k/parkrun opportunities.

Speaking of opportunities, they will disappear soon when the family return. (I would have liked to have done Rowheath 5k but I will be on hols.)

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Hello everyone. I now live in Scotland. Just catching up now... the only item of mail I have yet received at my new house was a letter from Scottish Athletics confirming that I will be eligible under Rule 5(7) to compete in team competition for Fife AC from 1 August.

Big-Bad-Bob wrote (see)

It's particularly mental when you consider that your 5k PB remained over 20 minutes until as recently as March...

...FFS! What progress. image

Of course, this makes a better story if you don't mention that I have rarely raced 5k, the first two were in less-than-ideal conditions, and I had run a sub-40-minute 10k in September last year. But the real 5k progress story is this: 18:37 during marathon training, then 5 weeks of post-marathon recovery and a couple of months of focused 5k training with SG has brought that down to 17:55. Which goes to show that some sensible structure and focus and not destroying yourself does work.

SG - still trying to find the races to fit the plan!

And DT, Muddy et al: probably not Robin Hood half, though I have a place - Glasgow is probably slightly better timing in relation to 10ks I can get to, and my friend is quite keen on coming up to do it with me.

Skinny, do I get new WAVA? image

• Steve Way. image image

Michael Shelley. image

Superb from both of them.

Back later...itching to get out for a run after watching that!

• macemace ✭✭✭
    Excellent pb Richard, well done image

As for Steve Way .... INCREDIBLE !!!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Steve way should do a book. For someone with not even any schoolboy sporting background to get to where he is, is amazing. I wonder how many other over weight drinkers are out there with undiscovered elite genetics!! 

Well done also to Richard on the pb. 

Lit, how long have you been coached by SG?

Fairly solid session yesterday with 10 min threshold, 6 x 4 min at 10kp then 10 min threshold. I was going to use the track but by 10.30 it was already hot and I didn't want to wipe myself out as was on a tight turnaround as had to be at a wedding for 2, so did on treadmill.

Weather looks to be cooling off this week but remaining nice so should make running easier. 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Richard - missed your PB in all the excitement of emigrating. Well done!

Skinny - I am more pleased with the time as I have an identical county medal from 10k last year, though I was happy to get an envelope full of money.

DT - about a year.

• Evening all. Thanks for the comments, bit more phlegmatic about Friday now. A PB is a PB, ought to make the most of them really. Probably going to mean a target for the year missed though - unlikely to find another fast 5k before I retreat into base training for the winter.

Hope Scotland is treating you well so far, Lit. Cooler up there I imagine, which mercifully it is here now too as yesterday was a real stinker.

One marker of a below par performance on Friday was the fact that I was fresh and ache free yesterday, though took it very easy in a sweltering 28C recovery run. Saved myself to dip my toe into the water of a lactic tolerance session along the canal today as the focus switches back to the track, Wednesday's 3000m and a big weekend in a couple of weeks. Kept the volume and intensity sensible as it was a first bash.

Variable paced lengthy warm up, and a main session (borrowed and adapted slightly from something I cribbed off Dean) was 1000m, 600m, 400m with long recoveries at faster than 3000, 1500 and 800 pace respectively. First was into the teeth of a keener than expected breeze, other two with it assisting. First therefore felt harder than it should have done, other two perhaps not quite hard as they ought, though still hard enough! Paces of 5:36, 5:10 and 4:50 so hit the targets I'd set for myself.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Bob, I have been thinking about that second mile and I think it may have been slightly longer than a mile, in fact, because it was quite thick woodland to mess up the GPS, and I noticed when I was warming up that my garmin got quite confused along that stretch, jumping between 7 min/mile and 10 min/mile, neither of which I was running.That would explain everyone's slow second mile and why my garmin thought the course was slightly short (it did the same for Reading half because of the underpass).

• During the last two years I've noticed that the only 5k 'race' near Carlisle seems to be the parkrun on a Saturday morning which is anything but flat.

So imagine my frustration when I look at the profile of the 5k route for the sprint triathlon below.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/sc/victoria-english-river/07-11-2009-route-8594094

It would be perfect for a standalone 5k race.

• Skinny - Looks like it's on some fairly major roads though.  Might not work for a massed 5k start, but for a tri everyone will be spread out by that stage so no need for road closures.

How's the leg?

Bob - They're some fast reps!  image long recoveries or not.

Lit - That's the spirit; take the cash.  You have plenty of medals now anyway.

DT - another big tempo session.  I did 3*10mins with 2min recovery yesterday. Felt very good despite the heat and manged split paces of 6:42, 6:41, 6:38 without too much trouble.  That was about 4.5mi at threshold in a 9mi run.  I'm taking the lower end of the range that Daniels recommends; that should have been 3*2mi, but my modest mileage doesn't really support that.

Muddy - perhaps, but most of your PBs seem to come in 'less than ideal' circumstances.

Richard - a pb with two shoe lace stops, suggests you should be able to knock a few more seconds off if you double knot them next time. image

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Afternoon all. Just caught up on the last few days activities, I've been in Berlin drinking beer and not running, although I've just been out for a run and it was quite hot.  Berlin was as good as ever, however, this time I realised just how flat it actually is and can see why the marathon world record regularly gets set there, the last time I went was before I started running. I've added it to me list of places I'd like to do a marathon.

Lit - image excellent, well done, a good note to leave Nottingham on.

Muddy - image good work, nice way to celebrate your 1 year running anniversary, sure there's plenty more to come off that.

Bob - image, I know you're disappointed but that's still a great time especially as your running priorities have been elsewhere recently, well done.

Richard - image good work, as Lou says, there must be more to come if you had to stop twice!

DT - good session, be interesting to see how all these threshold sessions pay off for you, how long till the target 10k?

Lou - looks like a decent session, I haven't managed to build up to the 3*10 mins Daniels session yet.

Skinny - hope the recovery is still coming along?

Last day being a lab rat tomorrow, hoping to get some feedback etc.   

• Lit - P'raps. A Garmin activities explore suggests others didn't lose anything like as much on that mile as I did though, so I think I was just a bit sh*t.

Skinny - Get yourself down for Newstead next year. Not just flat but net downhill. Plenty of room at our house for a Skinny lad, and Tommy and I will take you out to get p*ssed afterwards. image

Lou - Excellent threshold session that. A real boost when you get the splits going in the right direction throughout as well. Looks like you're definitely getting back into some form now. Could be a good late summer / autmumn for you if you pick out the right events. I predict lots of PB action.

Welcome back, Tommy. Glad you enjoyed the Berlin bevvy up. Hot? Cool and fresh here now compared to what it had been, at least for the first half of the weekend. Have fun tomorrow - the home straight at last. Hope you get some useful input. I'm down there tonight, but just to pick up a vest for Wednesday night's Vet League meeting - might do the warm up round the campus with the group, but definitely skipping track this week!

• Haha - its a long round trip for a flat 5k though Bob!

PS Who is the runner in the avatar image?

• Good excuse for a weekend away and to meet us though, Skinny

Dunno - think he used to be a fat cricketer though. image

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Lou- Those 3 x 10 mins you did came about about the same as mine when i last did them. If you do startford we would probably spend a lot of time running next to each other.

Tommy- Its startford on 14 september so I still have another solid 8 weeks of training. I visited Berlin about 10 years ago, didnt really make the most of it then so would like to go back.

This weeks tempo looks a little less intense. Its just a straight 25 minutes. That must surely be easier than 3 x 15. Theres a slight shift in focus this week with my longer run being drawn out by 15 mins and a dedicated interval session of 2 x (4x1k) at 10kp.

Just an easy 40 minutes tonight in much fresher conditions. Debating turning up at parkrun saturday. This is my wifes last week of mat leaveimage and she works every other saturday. Looking at the diary with her work weekends, weddings and other races I have planned my next parkrun opportunity would probably be the last weekend of December.

• Haha - I'm not at all sure that the two snips have worked or not - I have page 391 open on two different tabs and one is showing only the gold league and one is showing only the silver league - if I go to edit the post they are both there - mega weird.

Anyway above (or maybe below if I have to post it all again) updated for:-

McWonder Woman's flying County Championship winning 5k plus impressive new WAVA

Muddy's impressive new 5k PB and improved WAVA

Bob improving his 5k PB and moving past me on the 5k list

Richard knocking a mighty 1:40 off his 5k PB - massive - and improving his WAVA.

Often i notice things when updating the table that I don't notice reading the reports.

1) Richard that is a massive chunk off your 5k PB and with two shoe lace stops surely more to come - starting to race like you train maybe?

2) Muddy and Lit - due to Lit's time starting 17 whereas Muddy's started 18 I didn't realise quite how close you were - presumably you must have been able to see Lit's back for most of the race Muddy? Well done.

EDIT: Ah - after posting this one the above post now looks okayimage

• To answer Tommy and Lou - I'm running about 6 miles in total a week split between two runs with two days rest in between. Whereas during the worst of the injury nothing seemed to make a difference it now seems to respond to icing and stretching so I need to keep it sensible as I'm not out of the woods yet but I am progressing slightly.

So 3.5 miles last night in 27 minutes which included 1 mile of fartlek. I'll run a couple of miles on Thursday.

Cycled 20 miles on Sunday including 12 at just over 18mph so a bit slow in comparison to DT but he looks like he's got a bit more power in his thighs from his avatarimage

Swam 8*50m at 60s and 61s this morning followed by a 500m at just over 12 mins.

Think I'm ready to find out what it feels like one after the other!imageimage 

• Thanks for the updates, Skinny. Some very decent improvement going on at the moment. Hopefully others will be hopping aboard soon. Lou and DT perhaps best placed to be next in line based on recent training reports.

Good news that you're still making measurable progress yourself, even if (at least running wise) it's not as swift as I'm sure you'd like. Have you got a follow up physio appointment planned for a further assessment?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

2) Muddy and Lit - due to Lit's time starting 17 whereas Muddy's started 18 I didn't realise quite how close you were - presumably you must have been able to see Lit's back for most of the race Muddy? 

No cos I spent the first 2k chasing him.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

That is excellent news about the injury improvement, Skinny, even if you're still not able to run as much as you'd like.

I am technically on annual leave from my old job not having started my new job yet so I didn't start today's session till almost 8am. It was quite windy but there were no hawks, and the session was 35 mins alternating between MP and tempo paces, in which I covered 5.54 miles.