Brighton Marathon 2015

Comments

• What a lovely morning out there today, just come back from my 6 miles this morning, its gonna be a warm one today on the coast. Just come back from a great weekend in the New Forest, I ran the New Forest 10 miler, really pleased with my run and great scenery, quite surreal running past loads of free roaming horses, have a good day all.
  • ahapartridge sounds really nice

• Hi everyone. I have been mostly lurking on this thread, drawing inspiration from all your good running stories! Hope it'll be okay to take a more active part in the discussions.

I've definitely been helped by all that talk of running mojo's a short while back. Mine seems to have returned with the hot weather! 10 miles, this morning, mostly on the seafront, with a few faster miles thrown in. Felt really good to be out there, and glad I was able to get out before the sun was too strong!!

Happy runnings image

• Went for a cycle last night but for some reason I wasn't enjoying it so stopped after 5 miles and went for a run instead. First run in about 2 weeks so I went without Ipod, phone and Garmin as I didn't want to start stressing about the lack of pace and how much I had lost in these 2 weeks. Called it a day after 2 miles as I was struggling but a quick check on the kitchen clock when I got in showed that the two miles were under 9 min miles (very fast for me) and added to the heat and the raging sore throat I had had all day im pleased enough with that run,

3 miles this morning at a slower 10 min miles was more comfortable and the slow consistent run I was aiming for.  Taking it slowly and concentrating on shorter distances for now but its good to be back running again.  Mojo returned.

Also thinking about joining my local hockey club as I haven't played since moving last summer and I miss it.  If I get into the team I will swtich to the Shades Level 1 plan in December so that I can combine running with hockey as long as I can.

I do enjoy running but it feels like a chore sometimes whereas hockey is only ever fun, I figure mixing the two will stop running being boring and seeming like all I do is pound the pavements especially in the winter when the days and nights get dark and my route options are severly limited.

• Tillstarglad the mojo’s back didn’t you play hockey last year i thought i remembered you saying you’d rejoined your old club

Juggler your more thank welcome to take a more active role on the thread

• Toby So am I. Stomach still played around a bit but better than it was so hopefully the rest did it good.

I was going to play last year but then I moved to the other side of the county so it was too far to continue playing for my old club and we were so busy sorting things out at home that I never got around to joining the local club before last season was over.

• Tillstar you my be able to incorporate the hockey training into your marathon training

• Morning all

10 miles for me on Friday left going out till about 5oclock again but it was still warm enough just to wear a running vest and shorts still on days to the end of  the month so i have a little longer of going out for a run after work instead of before

Hope everyone’s running is going well

• I'm soooooo missing my running, after several weeks of doing 30 miles a week 5 miles 6 days a week......

I'm still on my Greek island enjoying my holiday but missing running!!! Back home on Thursday morning so I may venture out , not for 5 though got to get back into it as have the boys ...can't wait ...enjoying swimming though which is most unlike me, I'm actually venturing in the deep end and going under water with goggles on !!! My daughter is very proud of me !! 

Happy running to all 

• 3 miles for me this morning average 9.09 so speed is already coming back. Have my first hockey game for new club  tomorrow so hopefully legs wont ache too much for Wednesdays run image

• no running for me at the moment have come down with a stinking head cold so am resting up will see how i feel on Thursday if i feel better may go for a run on Friday

• Hope you feel better soon Toby

I played hockey last night and it was awesome! Had so much fun, now just got to hope I get through trials in August and make it into the team.  Wont need to do any interval sessions in my marathon training if I do as I was spriniting all over the pitch last night. Pleased I have kept my running regular this year as it definitely helped me play last night.  Managed not to get my feet hit but I do have a big bruised knuckle. Its also helped give me focus again as I want to get into the team so Im keen to keep the running up and do that well. I think this is going to be a good combination as running helps me play hockey better which makes me fitter to run better.  Changing tonights 3 miler to a 5 miler as I have my mojo back in overdrive.

• Afternoon all

just went out for a run about 530 yesterday with no distance in mind decided to run till i got to hot or had, had enough after about 10 miles decided enough was enough but still had a couple of miles to get home so stop in a news agency to get a cold drink in the end it turn out to be just over 12

Yvonnewelcome home hope the holiday went well

• Evening all

7 miles with Poohbear yesterday had to stop a couple of times to cool down due to the heat and an hour of weights and gym today watched the commonwealth marathon this morning didn’t the Aussie’s do well  

• Should have been 5 miles today but pulled my hamstring playing hockey and it was still a bit tight so kept it slow for 4 then walked the last mile back. It's nearly healed just didn't see the point in pushing it if it was tight
  • 13 miles for me today lovely cool breeze at times but still a tad too hot for my liking still shouldn’t complain after all that rain the earlier part of the year although I'm glad it wasn't this hot when i was training for Brighton so perhaps i shouldn't complain about the rain either

• Toby, you're consistently running good miles, despite the heat.

Tillstar, hope the hamstring settles down nicely.

Nice 15 miles along the seafront this morning. Ok, so it was a planned run/walk image but still the longest I've run this year image and I kept to a reasonable overall time.

Happy Runnings image

• I ran the Brighton Marathon a couple of years ago then London the weekend after. I was 45 at the time and did 3.14. Done a few different ones such as Jersey , Loch Ness etc but would definately recommend Brighton. Bit of an odd course. The start is quite awkward with a left turn steep climb and descent but I was running at my chosen pace inside a couple of minutes. Out of interest I went with the wife. We had chicken noodles for lunch at the end of the pier and for dinner I had loaded potato skins and a chilli. This is the best I have ever felt running a marathon and would recommend to everyone. There is a steep long climb past the Marina but you get to go back down it.

• Good running juggler and Toby.

Thanks juggler, leg feels better now only a little tight. Played hockey again last night but didn't enjoy it so much. Gonna keep at it and see how it goes but may just stick to running. It's been a funny old week and I'm looking forward to getting out for a good 5 miles tonight as sometimes only a run will clear your head image
  • Had a good 3 mile plod this morning was lovely weather for running and I really enjoyed it. Now having second thoughts about resurrecting my hockey career as I wonder if its possible to combine the two as I worry that I will injure myself playing hockey (im quite skilled at getting brusied and pulling muscles) and compromise my marathon training particulary as games are Saturdays and long runs sundays. Has anyone got any thoughts on it?

• Evening all

Rest day yesterday 10 miles today with the GNR now only 5 weeks away i need to up the mileage for a bit i also want to have a good base for when the Brighton training starts in December

Tillstar you could always give the hockey a miss this year and concentrate on your marathon training  this year as it may play on your mind about getting injured and may affect your hockey and your marathon training mind there no harm in asking whether you could just go to the training session

• Evening all

Lovely 10mile run in the rain today made a nice change still managed to get to hot but still it was a lot cooler got round in about the same time as yesterday just over 1:26:00 so well pleased with that still on days at work at the moment so making the most of it though having said that it does mean training with my Snowmaiden has gone out the window

• Thanks Toby. Season starts in September and marathon training December so think I'm gonna go back and play for a few months if it's not helping running I won't go back after the Christmas break. Going the extra distance and going back to my old club where I can play at a lower level and their fee structure means I won't be worse off for only playing half a season if I do stop.

5 miles for me yesterday as keeping the runs shorter and more regular. Smashed my previous pb on that route and felt strong throughout which was a very pleasant surprise as I only went to get the distance done.
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Toby - how Poobears sub 2 hours half training going?

Avoiding this thread as am not doing an autumn marathon as I promised myself to improve my 10 mile and half marathon times building up to the start of Brighton marathon training.

• Hi Tracy it's not at the moment what with one thing an another Poohbears not had a lot of time we do have the GNR run in 4weeks time so will see how she goes there

• hey folks. sorry i've not posted much but I am reading. really motivating to read the training stories and how folks are getting on.

keep it coming - it very much helps my training. would be terrific to have an agreed meet spot at brighton after the race to actually bump into a few folks here afterwards!

• Evening all

13 miles for me yesterday well pleased with the time got round in just over  1:54:00 and did 10 tonight that came in at 1:28:32 it’s funny when you look at Mondays time as a couple of years back that was my best time only achieved in races

Hi TrottingAlong glad to read that your finding the thread helpful as for a meet up a part from this year a few of us have meet up on the Saturday before at the travel lodge at Preston Park

• thanks for that. sadly, I'm not likely to be around brighton on the saturday before as I live in the west country but will continue to lurk here and post my tales of training woe nearer the date. 

my nottingham training is on track in terms of miles (17 last sunday) but a little behind in terms of pace for my 3:45 aim. still got about 8 weeks left so plenty of time to build the stamina yet.

good luck everyone.

• Need to get my head right! Been going to the gym (2 hour spin classes, and circuits and insanity workouts back to back) which is fantastic for overall work out and improving fitness and weight loss but I seem to be using it as a mental block to going out for a run! Did manage a 9 mile run yesterday (8.45mpm) fairly comfortable until last couple of miles which are more uphill too.  Does anyone else find this problem with the mental blocks?

• Robert yes mainly when it's raining image

TrottingAlong small world i to hail from the West Country Bristol to be precise