What next - following C25k

Hello all

i've lurked for a while trying to absorb some as much of the knowledge you've all accumulated but finally decided to dive in. 

I've been doing ease into 5k and chatting at the gym mentioned to a friend that I've only 2 weeks left.  She then asked what I was going to do then and well, I was a bit stumped. Have to admit didn't think I'd get this far but at the moment I'm totally hooked. So far it's been the progression you can see week on week which has really motivated me to keep going. 

I'd really like to be able to run out in the fresh air, however had a brief go just over a year ago and after a week and a half my knees let me down and I gave up. Is there a secret to successfully making the transition from treadmill to road/ outdoors?  I can't see me increasing my distances on the treadmill as it gets a little monotonous after a while. Also not sure if that is the route to go down as why I've been successful so far is that it only takes about 40 mins so easy to slot into a fairly busy non-routine. 

Any advice appreciated. Thanks  

Comments

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Some fine outdoor running easier others don't it's just practise and don't go to far to often until you are comfortable with it.

so do one run a week outside to begin with maybe? 

What's next join a local park run, and start to concentrate on improving your general running fitness and bringing down your times for 5k ? Maybe looking at a 5-10k plan, but just getting running outside is a good next step. 

• I actually joined this forum to come here and ask pretty much the same question.

I'm at the start of week 7 so by the end of next week I'll be on my own.

I think the first thing I'll do is map out a 5k route and start to run it.  The C25K plan builds you up to running for 30 minutes straight, which equates to a pace of about 9 mins 39 secs per mile.  Since my best pace is closer to 11 mins per mile I'm going to come up short.

From there the plan is to improve my pace sufficiently to join and take part in my local Park Run without humiliating myself and then start to add distance until I can at least consider taking part in the Great South Run (Given that I live less than a mile from the start line I feel I should at least try).  Of course I'm under no illusions as to how difficult this will be, 5k to 10 miles is quite a jump.

Anyway I will be monitoring this thread with interest.

• Well done guys for both reaching the end of the programme! Its a great entry to the world of running that many of us made use of ourselves.

Barris, I agree with booktrunk, get outside a bit and gradually work up the distances. 

Colossus, when it comes to parkrun don't even consider being humiliated! parkrun is for everyone of all abilities, its a community and welcomes everyone without prejudice. Just get out there and do one image

To both of you, I'd search for a "Bridge to 10k" plan, and consider singing yourselves up for a 10k race as motivation to complete it. From there the running world is your oyster, and the Great South Run (Which I'm also doing) is within touching distance image

• Well done indeed, you will feel great when you complete it. And there's great advice here about having a go at park runs and signing up for a race.

When I finished C25k I went straight into 5K-to-10k and now I'm training for a half marathon, all within the space of 6 months - it doesn't take long if you just keep at it! image

• Thanks so much everyone for your advice. I now have 1 week left (probably about 1/2 a week behind as worked too much last week).

My plan is to finish next week on the treadmill and then try once a week outdoors and increase that if my knees cope. I think my pace for 5k in 30 mins is too slow so working on speed can be the next treadmill challenge. Have no idea how I'll sort pace on the outside.
  • I love running outside, you can use focus points for goals even with timing I do this, also it's more interesting - depending where you run I guess. image 

I'm just at the start of C25k (2nd time around for me and a return to fitness) had decided on doing it in the gym today but the gym wasn't open when I planned so headed out for the run instead.

One tip someone gave me years ago now was to put a smile on, headphones in and pretend you run there all the time, no one will know! Same applies to a new gym too.image I've tested it and use free weights so as a woman in a free weight section you get a bit self conscious from time to time. 

Good luck and if 'going it alone' is a bit scary at the moment maybe try a 10k plan? or a playlist to run to that is the right sort of timing? 

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

I always run outside - it's so much more interesting than a treadmill, I know my town like the back of my hand now from just planning running routes and finding different ways to run each time I go out to make it more interesting. I'm a relative beginner myself, but here's my thoughts:

Firstly - shoes - if you're going to run on the road/pavement, I would really advise investing in some good shoes. Get the video gait analysis done, if you haven't already, and splash out. They're the only thing between your feet/shins/knees and the pavement, so it's really worth getting them right - you'll be amazed at how different they feel if they're properly fitted and have the right support.

Then, why not do the 5 to 10k programme and look to do a 10k event in October/November time. I did couch to 5k last year, then stopped because I had no further goals. This year, I have booked at least one race/event every month to give me something to keep working towards, and have just finished the zero to 10k programme, which gets you up to running for 60 minutes - then I just carried on and made it to 10k in 1 hr12.

Once you're at 10k, you could set yourself time goals - just aiming to knock a minute or 2 off your time means you can focus training on that. I'm doing that to work towards a sub-1hr 10k in November. 

Pacing - treadmill does it all for you of course, but outside, you need to find your natural pace to begin with, then work on it. I use music - I download tracks that have the same beats per minute (various websites tell you what the bpm is) and I run to the beat. You'll soon find a bpm that gives you a certain km/min, then you can download faster tracks to speed up your pace. I have found that increasing by just 5 bpm can increase my pace by up to 30 seconds per km - then it's just a case of keeping going at that pace (which you just have to stick at).

You might not do 5k in 30 minutes (I don't, yet....), but just add a few minutes on each week - you'll be surprised how the distance builds up really quickly as you do that. I went from the zero to 10k programme (which is a 60-minute run), to a 1hr12 10k in a few runs - I just kept going. I'm not saying I could carry on for hours, but there is very little difference in effort needed between a 60 minute run, and a 1hr 12 minute run.

My main tip for outside running - stay away from busy roads as much as possible (even if they've got a pavement). Running through a mass of traffic noise is just not very nice. 

• Well my first outdoor run was a bit of a disaster. I got my new shoes and was so desperate to give them a go and get on with it I didn't really take into consideration the conditions. 

Midday on one of the hottest days of the year wasn't a good idea in retrospect. Needless to say I walked a lot and was pretty dispirited. Also realised how stupidly slow I am when running for 30mins image downloaded the bridge to 10k ap so think I'll give that another go on treadmill tomorrow before road running again. Am hoping that the 10k app will result in me being faster at 5k. 

• Don't lose heart, I completed C25K at about the same time as you and I've been suffering horribly in these conditions too, to the extent that I'm considering joining the gym just for some respite from running in the heat (or more specifically the humidity).

There is some cooler weather forecast for next week, get out and do it again in better conditions and you might surprise yourself. A drop of a few degrees a couple of weeks ago shaved a full 2 minutes off my 5k time.

I'm told that heat endurance is something you can train for, but right now just finishing the 5Ks is enough for me.
  • KattCKattC ✭✭✭

I'm at the very end of C25k and always run early morning outside before the heat starts to hit.  Not sure why people comment that there are always more runners in the summer - I think I would much rather run in the rain and cold!!!  I know we must not moan about this gorgeous weather we are getting.