Beginners running Addiction

HI there, bit of background i was obese 13st5 5"4 at the Beginning of May i started to try the Couch 25K and was in pain for over a week after my first run (doctor said shin splints) i was advised to lose weight before attempting again.

So roughly 3 months later and 2st down i began again.

This time i had a bit of pain in my thighs the day after but the third day i was ok to run again. 

I signed up for a 5k on 7th Sept which gives me roughly 6 weeks but my Couch 25K plan is 8 weeks long.

Now i know i can run i want to do it as much as possible but i also don't want to injure myself as i'm still a stone overweight. Should i stick with the 8 week plan and just hope for the best on race day or run a bit more each week so i'm prepared?

Comments

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Stick with the plan, the C25K plans are designed to gradually build up without injuring yourself and recent history has shown you are susceptible to injury.  

If you try to cram 8 weeks into 6, worst case scenario is that you end up injured and can't compete (e.g. recurrence of shin splints).

If you are 6 weeks into the plan when the 5k comes, worst case scenario is that you may need to walk for part of the distance - but you will still complete the race.

PS there are many causes of shin splints, but make sure your laces aren't too tight and maybe go to a running shop for advice on shoes (if you haven't already).  Theses are quick/simple fixes that could help. 

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Pros...  if you are very very lucky, and injury doesn't strike you again, then your enthusiasm will take you far.

Cons... in all likelihood, you'll get injured again. Put back your fitness regime, and potentially become disheartened.  You could end up undoing a lot of the massive strides you've made these last couple of months...  all for the sake of being a bit impatient.

If you play it by the book, you should cancel the 5K you've entered, because there are hundreds of 5K races you can enter every single weekend (www.parkrun.org.uk) But if I was you, I'd continue with the C25K and then when Sep 7 arrives... if it is really really important to you, then give the 5K a go at a very very steady pace, but then have a few days' rest, and then resume the C25K where you left off, to allow your body to recover and adapt to all this training.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Stick with the plan, but on the day of the race, just go for it, and if you can't keep going don't be afraid of walking a bit no-one cares, but if you would love to run it all just give it your best on the day, it's a good buzz being in an event and you will probably have the oomph to go for it image

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

The thing is when you start you'll find that you will probably be faster with walking than if you slowly plod along and manage the 5k without a walk.

• Like the others have said, stick to the plan - there are no shortcuts with distance running,