Garmin Vs Ipod Fitness Programme

KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Been using my Ipod fitness programme to log my mileage, time and speed lol since I have started this fab journey into the world of running.  I was pretty sure my Ipod wasn't recording properly as I was getting into the 9.30 mile pace and I am a not a fast hare runner.

So decided to borrow my housemate's garmin today what a difference!  Ipod said was doing a 9.31 mile pace whilst the garmin said I was doing 12.53 - distance was the same ipod said I had completed 2.59 miles and garmin said 1.91 miles.

Hey hooo only started three months and enjoying it.

So... it seems I should buy myself a garmin forerunner - is there anything else better?  I don't take my phone on my runs and really don't want too.  Is the Garmin the best watch for a beginner who wants to log their time, distance and mile pace?

Comments

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

As a beginner something like the fr10 or fr15 seems great. 

The fr10 is only around £75 so not to expensive, there are others out there, and the garmin website has gone a bit downhill lately, but the watches are a useful tool and frankly £75 isn't to horrendous a price for a toy that will help to slightly enhance something that you enjoy doing image

The garmin 310xt is great if you are going to do ultras and very cheap as it's just about end of life, but if you are unlikely to be running for over 5 hours the fr10 or fr15 seem fine image

There is competition i think the soleus GPS watch is around £60 and does a pretty good job, but i'm a Garmin fan, and the FR10 and FR15 seem quite nice and small.

Don't start looking at things like the FR220 very cute looking image but a lot more money.

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Thanks Booktrunk that is really helpful advice so have just purchased a very nice Garmin FR10 in girly pink - was impressed by my housemates so have treated myself.  I don't want anything complicated when I am running - just time, distance and pace.

At the moment as a totally beginner its nice to be able to log where you come from and where you may be heading and most importantly enjoy it. 

Thank you so much for the support and advice of the forum as usual.

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Katt

Just to address one of your points (BT has covered others) it seems the difference is the GPS measuring.  I fully expect the Garmin to have been much more accurate, but I don't know for sure.  None of them are perfect but my experience with Garmin is good.

Can you not use googlemaps to re-create your route to tell you how far your ran?  Better websites include www.gb.mapometer.com/   and mapmyrun too - here you should be able to exactly recreate the route you ran (assuming you remember where you went!)

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Hi Nose

Thank you once again and will look at mapmyrun to compare and see if the garmin is accurate.  I knew the ipod wasn't - but was a little disappointed that I was running so slow, however, I only started running 2 months ago and last week was the time I managed to run 22 minutes without stopping.

it was a good excuse to get a garmin as I've been toying with the idea since I going addicted to this running thingmejig image

Thanks Nose Nowt will have a look at both those websites and your helpfulness again.

Kx