Just a Little Bit Further - 2014

Comments

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

DJ - sorry to hear your wife is struggling 

I saw some of your pictures on flickr and they are great, good luck with the business

I am struggling to sleep in the heat and haven't done much running etc the last few days, but hopefully back at it tomorrow

• Afternoon everyone

Got back yesterday evening. Had brilliant long weekend away. Nice weather, the bestest company and just a weekend of fun image

Very hot again today.........just the gym this morning and a quickie run on the treadmill.

Deejay...sorry to here your wife is struggling and that her MS is worsening. Well done on your running and your photos are amazing so am sure you will be very successful

Hope everyone is well

• Afternoon,

DJ-I saw some of your pictures on FB. They really are excellent- I loved the beech hut ones- where were they taken? Sorry to here about wife - I hope that things turn a corner soon. Well done on the progress with your running.

Jude- My wife would not be happy if I forget her birthday!!!! You must treat yourself!!

Franny-Pleased that you had a nice weekend away. I enjoy time away with wifey without children around!!

MC-Hope you managed to get  out for a run.

Yes it is rather hot at the moment managed 6.3 miles on Sunday and Monday and 7 miles this morning after going out at 7 in the morning when it is relative cool. Still rather sweaty when I got home. Managed to keep the sweat off my eyes by waring my buff around my head in true trail runner style!!! If any of you haven't got buffs they are brilliant in the heat around the head or when cold around the neck.

Have a good day...

• Morning

AF well done on the hot sweaty miles. Yes Buffs are great and very versatile image

7.15 hot sweaty miles for me this morning...left Chico at home as it was too warm to take him running.

hi all

yes, very hot here too

had a great lake swim yesterday and a good run today

got the outlaw on Sunday, doing the swim as past of a relay team, 2.4 miles, must just relax and keep going ....

• 3.3 miles yesterday and 6 this morning 1st thing.

MC-Good luck in the outlaw- in this heat the swim seems the wise decision! 

Franny-Well done on your 7.15 miler yesterday.

• DJ - good luck with your photography business.I know you'll be successful as your pictures are gorgeous. Well done with your running too. I hope your wife's condition improves soon. Hopefully when the weather cools? It must be so worrying for you both.

AF - well done on all your miles in the heat. How hot is it there?

MC - lovely to get a new car. Enjoy it! Good luck for your swim on Sunday and well done on your training.

Franny - good to hear you had a lovely time away.

Hi to anybody lurking!image

3 more days of fasting left..... Swimming tonight after the evening meal. Fitness room yesterday but felt very dehydrated and just managed a walk on the treadmill, some bike and some sit ups!! Hope I haven't lost too much fitness during the past month. (Have lost about about 6 pounds though, which is a bonus although I'll put it straight back on no doubt.) Very hot here too.

Oh well, bfn folks. xx

• Hi

Jude I don't know how you manage to train whilst fasting. I am sure your fitness levels will be fine.

Good luck at the outlaw on Sunday MC

Well no running or gym for me today as I have the lurgy...flet a sore throat coming on yesterday afternoon and just feel all aches and pains......no energy at all.

Chico is 2 yrs old today image image managed to muster up enough energy to make him a doggy birthday cake...lol...no idea how it will turn out...its in the oven at the moment.

• Hiya.

How are you all doing? Sorry for my absence yet again but lost my mojo completely. I have started a blog in the hope that I can maybe ignite my love of running.

• Happy Birthday to Chico the other day!!!

Ecky-I hope you get your Mojo back...have been reading your blog.

No running today due to thunderstorm....6.5 miles yesterday and 6 on Friday.

• Hellooooooooooo

Sorry not been around as I have been unwell with the horrible lurgy but think I am on the way to recovery now....lost my voice at the weekend very bad throat and swollen glands. 1st run today 5 miles only.

Ecky Your blog is good and hope you find your running mojo soon...it is there just needs to be found.

AF Saw you guys had massive thunderstorms Hope you get out for a run today.

MC Well done on your Outlaw...did you have a good time????

• Franny-We had a huge thunderstorm just as I was about to go our for a run yesterday morning- so gave it a miss. Well done on your 5 miler and hope you are feeling better.

MC-How did the outlaw go?

7.3 miles + bootcamp this morning.

hi

sorry I have been AWOL, all weekend was spent at Outlaw, then I have been a bit busy and tired!

Franny - hope you are feeling better now

Ecky - hope you are well and have found that pesky mojo!

Had a great weekend at the outlaw though I had to fight a few demons at the beginning of the swim! 

outlaw swim: got there about 5am, feeling fine, but normal pre-race nerves meant a couple of loo visits before getting into my wetsuit. Luckily found buttercup before the race start, and red dog chris. Hug from buttercup, and waddled to the water with chris, said out good lucks and got into different pens. I went into the slow pen, at the back, felt a bit emotional as they counted down to the start. Waited till there was a bit of clear water - didn't want to get caught up in the washing machine. Started off but the water was really manky and smelling of poo, dark and horrible. Negative thoughts crept in and I had to give myself a bit of a talking to, realised I hadn't started my garmin at the beginning so shrugged and started it. I was worried about getting cramp so mixed up breast stroke and crawl a bit to start with. Took me ages to get a ryhthm going, but then felt good and finally reached the end of the damn lake, round the bouys and back, really into my stroke now. Some bad weed patches on the way back, but finally got out, helped by some nice RAF boysimage. poor buttercup was the last relay cyclist waitingimage

A bit annoyed at my time, but it was my first IM swim, first mass start, proud that I did it.

our cyclist had us on tenterhooks as she was a bit close for comfort to the cutoff, but she got back and our runner did an amazing first marathon in 5:04 in the heat of the afternoon

• MC-Well done to you and your team. I really don't think I like the idea of outdoor lake swimming!!! 

thanks boss, I normally enjoy it, but it took me a while to start enjoying it on Sunday!

• Hi everyone,

Franny,I hope you are feeling a bit better now.

AF,very wise to stay in during a thunderstorm.That said,one of the most exhilarating runs I ever had was when I got caught out in a thunderstorm,5 miles from home.The thunder and lightning crashing around me made it very exciting,and a bit scary.I told myself that lightning is more likely to hit a static target and ran as fast as I could.

Jude,I hope you are enjoying your festivities and being able to eat normally again.

Ecky,lovely to see you back here.I am sure you will find your mojo again.You can count on your friends here to help you get back on track.

MC, Well done on your swim at Outlaw.It sounds like it was a bit yukky in that water.I hope you were all pleased with your performances because it isn't easy doing endurance sports in the summer heat.

Well I'm about to finish a very good month of training tomorrow.I have really enjoyed every run,and I am getting stronger and faster all the time.From having completely lost my mojo, I now find I am looking forward to each run.Roll on next month.

I got some new running shoes today,and some new tops and shorts,so I'm all kitted out and looking very smart.

morning

DJ - great to hear that you are back on track and enjoying your running. I love getting new kit, but the old stuff never seems to wear out so I can never really justify buying more! maybe I need to wear some old kit and run through some brambles!

• Hiya,

Hi Boss, thanks for reading the blog. Well done on your miles and bootcamp yesterday.

Franny I hope you feel 100% soon.

Mathschick, you should be really proud, I could never do anything like that. Thankfully mojo seems to be returning. Will run again tomorrow but need to get diet sorted. Signing up for Birmingham HM in Oct to give me some focus

Awwww thanks DJ, its good to be back, hopefully with some running to report. It sounds like you are running well and have got your mojo back which is nice to hear.

• Ecky-Great to here the Mojo is returning. Hopefully a diet overhaull will help.Good luck on your run today.

Franny-Hope you are feeling better?

MC-I know what you say about kit...just replace my trainers every 3 months which is costly enough.

Where is Chilli?

7.1 miles yesterday morning and a club pub run of 5.2 last night.  Resting today.

morning

I am worried about chili - she hasn't been around on the tri forums for ages either. Ever since her op

did a lovely 8 miles yesterday evening but think I probably shouldn't run today. Am going to take youngest out for a bike ride and have got swimming tonight

Ecky - think I need to overhaul my diet too, basically cut out the cake and I would be a decent weight I think!

• Hi guys

Ecky Nice to see you back here...we missed you and am sure your mojo will be fully restored soon.

Mathschick Wow don't think...no lets change that ....no way would you get me swimming in a lake...you are a  very brave woman image Great pics by the way.

AF Well done on your 2 runs yesterday Impressive stuff

Deejay Always nice to get new kit and so pleased you are feeling positive about your running again.

I am feeling a bit better but not quite back to 90-100% However did go out for a wee 8 miler early this morning...not in the hills AF just along the canal.

Been enjoying watching the athletics at the Commonwealth games...one of our running club ladies is a volunteer and she has the most amazing role coz she sees all  the field and track atheletes before and after their events...amazing stuff and so looking forward to hearing all her stories.

YES where is Chilli..............anyone friends with her on FB? I know I will txt Loula she will know and I will update you all

• Chili Update....Loula doesn't know either Sorry folks image

oh image hope she is ok

• Is Chilli on facebook? If so someone should send her a message.

• Hi everyone! Thanks for missing me image MC tracked me down.

Yes, I've been gone for months. Sorry for being AWOL. It was a rough summer. The operation in Feb went well, but seriously affected my body/energy levels and I could only run/walk 5k. Considering I did 30miles in Oct this was rather devastating. Then when my body recovered at Easter and I was ready to run I hurt my back again. Then in May my hubby's two brothers died within a week of each other. They live over in America so hubby disappeared for 2 weeks to say 'goodbye' to them managing to do so before they lost consciousness. Rather a difficult time. Then in June hubby went away with work for two weeks.

On top of this my Big Girl (aged just 12, yr7) was so stressed with school (despite winning every award going!) having several nosebleeds a day, migraines, not sleeping and then the stomach aches/not eating started. So at the beginning of June I pulled her out of school to home educate her. A very positive mood that we both enjoy, but quite a big change to get my head round. 

So running almost stopped. Big Girl and I run Smidge (who cycles) to school each day and we continue with parkrun, but that is about it. I have deferred my Aug marathon to next year. A few weeks ago I did run a 5k PB of 27:14. Big Girl did her 100th parkrun last week with a PB of 24:40. My 100th is a week Saturday.

However, I have been doing quite a bit of cycling. My 2nd daughter (aged 10) decided at the beginning of the year that she wanted to cycle from Cheshunt to Cambridge in aid of Guide Dogs. It's 46miles. So we did that yesterday image I'm so proud of her. It was a hard, hot ride and by the end she was so tired she had to walk all the hills. But there was not one word of complaint or moaning. Instead when we finished she thanked me with tears in her eyes for doing it with her and helping her achieve her goal. I think she's raised almost £500. 

I find running during the summer holidays really hard but in Sept I shall hopefully get back into the way of things. I guess whilst not running much, posting on here dropped from being a habit and then I just didn't back into it.

Hope everyone else is doing well. MC, I see you did the Outlaw Swim on Sunday. Congratulations image

• Chili,so good to hear from you again.image  We have all missed you a lot,and been very worried.You and your family have had a really tough time of it.I hope you are all ok.It sounds like you are feeling a bit better,and the cycling and Parkruns will have kept you fit.You haven't completely lost it,if you can post a time like that.I hope you enjoy your 100th one.That is a really good achievement.It takes a while to get back into things after illness and injury,but eventually the desire and the strength comes back.Good idea to defer your marathon,and you have a year to build towards it.I hope things are on the up for you and your family,and you get back to enjoying your running again. 

I guess when we are injured or ill or just too tired or demotivated to run,paying a visit to Runners World falls by the wayside,and I know I have found that in the past.But I have come to realise that we are more than just a bunch of runners talking about running stuff on this thread.We are a group of friends who have come together through a love of running,but have a bond that goes beyond that.And a love of cake of course.

The original Just A Little Bit Further thread was started by Chili,and it has been a wonderful place to find friendship and support and just hang out.And each year since,Chili has kept it going,and we all meet up here and share a little of our running news and other stuff that is going on in our lives,and support each other,laugh with each other,run with each other(still got to do that),and sometimes hurt with each other.I know it has helped me to come back to running when I have felt like giving up,and it will help me to keep up with my running,just so I can stay in touch with my friends.I really hope on January 1st 2015,there is a Just A Little Bit Further - 2015 thread,with the first post by Chili.

To help recapture a little of the old C.R.A.C Towers magic,I think we need to find the old cake trolley,and get it back in action.Where did Loula leave it? And as of Sunday I will be posting the song of the day again.I'll post in the evening,so you can look it up the next day.

As it is the 1st of a new month,my target for this month is to reach 6 miles in distance,and do my first Parkrun.I know I am still only running slowly,but I think it will be good to run with others again.I have my place in the Brighton Marathon all sorted,and I've got the hotel booked.I will make my final decision as to whether to begin my pre-marathon training,and signing up for a charity,based on meeting this months targets.I feel I need another good month of training to consolidate my comeback from my injury problems.I am considering getting coaching to help improve my form and keep myself injury free in future.

• morning all

well said DJ. I am looking forward to the 'song of the day' image

Chili - gosh, things have been hard for you and your family. What a shame about your big girl, and must have been a massive worry for you. I am sure you are doing the right thing with home-educating her. It is so heart breaking seeing young (mainly girls) so stressed like that. Schools have become a really high-stress environment and sometimes they are not the right place for some children. 

I am so glad you have got back in touch though, I have been thinking about you and worried about how you were! 

Well I seem to be sleeping for England! I can't remember the last time I stayed in bed till 9..... did go swimming last night which was tough because all the folk I normally share a lane with weren't there so I was with much faster people. It is good from time to time though as it makes me push more to try to keep up. 

Think I better do some housework today to make the house reasonably tidy before the scout comes back from camp and brings bags full of dirty washing....

• Chilli Chlli Chilli- So good to here from you. Thoughts for your losses it must have been tough. Good to here that you are still knocking out great times in park runs and you are still an inspiration to your children. 

We are going to have a Park Run in Horsham- 2 miles away- in September so I will give it a go.....trouble is I will want to go for a time and only be happy with a time under 22 minuetes based on my 10K PB!! Need to remember I am getting old!

Sadly, I too lost a freind to cancer last week. She had a 10 year battle with the dreaded disease. I used to call her my "twin" as she was born on the same day as me. So sad for her husband and 13 year old son. Puts things in perspective.  

Funnily enough I was going to ask MC for some musical tips as I thought of her whilst listening to Beth Hart. DJ reallly looking forward to your songs of the day- I loved those...

Now we need to get some of the old gang back- Loula,Rocker,Matt by eck who have stopped posting.....   

No club run this morning as I had to have a client meeting so went out 1st thing and did 6.5 miles. No speed in my legs at the moment.image

• Boss - I have been listening to the Black Keys a lot lately, I think you will like them image

I have struggled through 4 miles this evening, partly because of the heat and humidity and partly because of having a cheesecake before... felt a bit sickimage that'll teach me!

• morning all image

been sorting out youngest son's drawers today, we have two bin liners full of worn out clothes! Too manky for the charity shops so will be going to the recycling (he has a habit of chewing his shirts!)