Trainers and pain

I am hoping someone can help. I have recently started back and the gym after a sprain. I injured my ankle on the treadmill and after my trip to a&e was advised to have a look at the trainers I was wearing. I visited a sports shop that do a gait diagnostic and was advised that I seriously over pronate so purchased some support trainers. After a gym session, on the treadmill I felt like I'd tweaked a muscle in my buttocks and thought it would go away in a few days. If felt a bit like a twang in the muscle if that makes sense! Since then whenever I've tried to increase my speed or perform sprints I've had pain down the outside of my right leg. Is this the trainers or did I do something more than pull a muscle? Just looking for ideas and advice on how to overcome this!

Comments

• When did you hurt your backside? As it's possible it might still be sore when you stress it, it's also possible thst you need to do less and build up before you get carried away....

so many things it. Could be, see a physio, could be it band or nothing image or any number of things, sorry but it's a slightly vague question. image just take it slow and steady for a couple more weeks before trying any speed work might help. 

• Yes, see a physio. It could be that the ankle sprain has caused you to move differently than you would normally which is putting more strain on other muscles, or it could be the new trainers (I recently went for a 5 mile run in new trainers and came back with a calf strain, which was stupid. You need to build up slowly in new trainers especially if they change the way you run).

However, it does sound as though it could be sciatica/piriformis syndrome. Get it checked out and don't try to push through the pain until you know what is causing it.

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Have you still got your old trainers?  A simple test is to have a couple of runs in your old shoes and see if the problem re-occurs.

I had a similar issue a few years ago with the shoes recommended to me by a shop.  In my case it was a sharp knee pain, so I went back to my old trainers.  The first run in the old pair the knee was still tender but not quite as bad as it had been, on the second run there was still some mild discomfort and by the third run it was fine.

• I'm a firm believer that shoes with lots of support in them are only for the very few. Most people's feet are actually pretty good at doing what they need to given the chance (which takes a bit of time admittedly) But support shoes control everything and your feet aren't free to react and move to the terrain you are on.

If your feet don't react, then your calves don't do the right thing and your knees then your thighs and so on. It can lead to some real issues.

I guess the hard thing is that everyone is individual and what works for one might not for another.