Does running cause breast implant ruptures

I'm now at home recovering from surgery to remove a ruptured implant. They couldn't do a replacement as the rupture was extensive and had caused infection, inflammation and internal bleeding.

What I can't get an answer to is whether being a runner actually caused the implant to rupture, or indeed why this happened at all.

I have tried googling to research instances but no information. I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this? I am frustrated with the 'you were just unlucky' explanation - considering it has now happened twice - once on each side! How unlucky can you get?!

I should add that these weren't 'cosmetic' jobs, but post-cancer reconstruction, so no rude 'serves you right' comments please?! Even if they were cosmetic, no-one asks for this.

Following on from previous thread:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/health--injury/running-with-a-rupture---and-not-where-you-think/276989.html

Comments

• StiltsStilts ✭✭✭

Sorry you have had problems.  I have had the same treatment, for the same reason, and so far so good (3 years on). I wear a VERY supportive sports bra for running so that nothing moves, ever, and I always wear a bra or crop top of some sort, day and night.  Other than that (and I'm sure you do the same) I'm not sure what else you can do, and I suspect maybe you are just very unlucky.  My surgeon was absolutely fine about me running again with the (very obvious) caveat that I was well supported at all times

• Jeepers. That sounds unlucky. I've never heard of it before - but I'd go along with Stilts advice and strap everything down. If its not moving that much I'd think the forces will be much lighter ?