very confused

I am very new to running, having only started, by accident 3 months ago.   I currently do 3 runs a week, 1, a training session  with my running group, 1 longer run (I'm up to 65 minutes) and  easy  run. I may well be trying to do too much, too quickly, but I really am very confused with all the different things I'm supposed to do, speed sessions, hill sessions, intervals, tempo!!! This is without O2 and heart rate stuff. Am I supposed to run constantly staring at my watch? In which case, there will be accidents! Incidentally, I have no fancy, schmancy running watch or any such techy kit, it's me, my trainers and a cheap digital watch. Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    If you are new to running just concentrate on easy running (conversational pace).

If you want to up your mileage, limit it to 10% extra per week.

Don't try and do too much too soon.

I didn't start doing, speed work, tempo work until I was well into my 3rd marathon.

If you feel like you are doing too much too soon then have a cut back week (reduced volume)
  • There's nothing you are "supposed" to do when running other than put one foot in front of the other.

If you're starting out, the only thing in the way of kit you actually need beside shoes and clothing is a basic stopwatch. Upgrade to something fancier later if you want to.

As for speedwork - don't. Until you've got a decent running base behind you, you could easily get injured I wouldn't think about it until you've been at it at least a year.

In the meantime, think about what your goals are: just getting round in a race? Shorter distances? Longer ones? Being able to run for a certain amount of time without stopping? Once you've decided you can choose a plan on the training tab and take it from there.

PS: hoping the staring at the watch question is a tongue in cheek one - that would be silly right?

PPS: fancy kit and fancy tech won't actually make you a better runner.

• Mate, don't over think it. Just get out there and enjoy the running. Push on little bit by little bit but don't over stretch yourself. Remember to have good rest days too.

I have been running for a couple of years now. 1 marathon, several halfs and a load of 10ks and I do none of that stuff. My times aren't spectacular but regularly get me into the top 12-20% of most races.

If you keep running and just push on a bit at a time you will get better. If later on you decide you want bigger improvements you can start adding all that lot in just see how you feel.

• Running for fun? Running to lose weight? Running to Race?

I guess at this stage you running to keep fit. Simply running will do that, there is no need to do too much.

As mentioned above once you get a base fitness you can progress and take a more focused approach. 

I was very similar to you when I started and luckily I have some one helping me along now, but it may help if you read this thread which is my training thread which starts at a very basic level asking pretty much the same questions as yourself.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/beginners/simple-training-forumla-would-it-work/254891.html

• sumyrtlemay wrote (see)

I am very new to running, having only started, by accident 3 months ago.   I currently do 3 runs a week, 1, a training session  with my running group, 1 longer run (I'm up to 65 minutes) and  easy  run. I may well be trying to do too much, too quickly, but I really am very confused with all the different things I'm supposed to do, speed sessions, hill sessions, intervals, tempo!!! This is without O2 and heart rate stuff. Am I supposed to run constantly staring at my watch? In which case, there will be accidents! Incidentally, I have no fancy, schmancy running watch or any such techy kit, it's me, my trainers and a cheap digital watch. Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

Seems to me like you are doing fine just as you have been doing!  It seems well-balanced and sensible.

Forget all the technical stuff, you could end up with all your energy being used trying to work out what you are supposed to be doing next rather than just going out for a run and enjoying it.

• Many thanks for the lovely, sensible suggestions. I will continue as I have been doing and stop over thinking things.