How do you build / rebuild bike confidence?

Last week I had an instant deflation on my bike as the side of my wheel ripped open (no idea how as I was in the middle of the road) going downhill at 30+ mph Although I was going sideways I stayed on the bike and came to a safe stop. But the whatifs have got me and since I am paranoid on the bike. You folks help me overcome my swim issues can you solve this one as well. I was never very fast on the bike before but now... The future cwould be Aquathons image

Comments

• Nice job staying on the bike. The same thing actually happened a friend last week with gatorskin tyres and it turned out his brake block was a little high and was rubbing the tyre. Could be worth checking that?

• You fly jets long enough, something like this happens... My squadron, we lost 8 of 18 aircraft. 10 men. First one dies, you die too. But there will be others. You can count on that. You gotta let him go. You gotta let him go.

http://media.theiapolis.com/aR/cDCDCDC/d4/e4/hM8/i1RWW/r1/s1/t4/wG4/z23/tom-cruise-maverick-and-tom-skerritt-viper.jpg

Sometimes this stuff happens. Can be totally blameless, just be glad you've the handling skills to deal with it well. The best you can do is preventative medicine; take good care of your bike; check the tyres over after every ride, have good brakes and maintain them, and learn to trust your equipment.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

What if, someone told you that you've just had the biggest accident you're going to ever have.

That's stats for you.

Knew a nervous, very nervous rider who was scared of the crash she'd never had. Had the crash (25mph over the handle bars) got up (off grass luckily) and carried on. 

"Well if that's all it is, no problem". Fear banished.

🙂

• Afraid the best thing you can do is get straight back on the bike. If needed you could always try and find a socail ride near you so your not on your own at first but the longer you wait before you get back on the worst the worries will be. As above this might be the worst thing that ever happens to you biking. (((((hugs))))))

• For me it would be realising I handled it well so must have some skills so all good. Don't dwell on the ifs or buts as you can never guess what will happen. I'd carry on cycling exactly as I had been, I'd be a bit scared inside to start with but would remind myself of the above and keep on keeping on.

I did the above after a little tip over on the ice last year , I'm still not great at that particular corner but it doesn't stop me riding it many times a week.

Don't let the buggers get you down and all that image

• +1, my rear derailleur snapped and swung through my back wheel doing about 30mph during the Chantilly Gauntlet locking it up. I skidded around and was being overtaken by a car at the time. Real squeaky bum time.

To be honest, the only way to get over it is to get out on the bike and start again. I must admit that for the first few rides following, I was a bit twitchy, but like others have said, if you managed that without coming off, you can probably manage most things. 

Get you brake alignment checked out by LBS and get back on. It will take a couple of rides before you get your confidence back, but it will come....

• Well I have been out on a bike since and going downhill is giving me a few nerves but it did before hand so I guess keep on going on the bike.
  • Back on the bike and get the miles in

it worked for me, when I have come off

take it slowly and build up the confidence

• Yep. Keep at it. The nerves will go eventually!
  • Well done cat as above doing something with no fear is easy doing something with worries or a fear is the mark of a hero. image

• Cake said I am heroic!

That's it... Back on the bike today then.
  • I am not heroic... image

BRAT Tri on Sunday and thankfully I only did the Sprint race as my cycling was so slow.

I wasn't great on the bike before but now I am nervous.