Salisbury 54321

Hi runners

Is anyone going to run the Salisbury 54321 on Sunday 10th?

How are you travelling there? I am looking to go on Sunday morning but trains are not running earlier enough. If you want to share the journey, happy to talk.

Thanks
Alessandra

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I'm running to the start.
  • Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

Yep, I am doing the 50km, probably going sat night and staying in local hotel so nice and fresh for Sunday morning, image

• Dank- art

I am finding very frustrating because all hotels around are sold out! Where do you stay?

Thanks

Ale

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

Hi Ale

Yes I found that as well, ended up having to get somewhere further out, few in Southampton available when i looked yesterday.

• Hi Ale

No beds at Youth Hostel so I've booked a space for camping in their grounds! Actually it's pretty good value- as long as you have a tent, sleeping bag etc- you can use their showers & self catering kitchen & you don't have to share a dormitory..All for around £11 (if they have any spaces!). Hope you find a solution!

C

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

weather looking shocking for sunday!!!!

• I know- ah well, I'm looking upon it as all part of the wonderful challenge of ultra! At least everyone else will be coping with same conditions &, like most people doing races over the past few months, I'm getting a bit too used to all this sun- it's time to mix it up a bit with some proper weather...Hope it doesn't put you off & you have a good run!

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

I agree, it's all part of the endurance that is long distance running / Ultra running, I have trained so many times in pouring rain and cold, it's not going to be a problem....and yes I agree too much sun and heat is a bit boring, good to mix it up....my aim is just completion of this my first Ultra! image

• That's the spirit! I reckon the 'aim to complete' mantra never leaves you...as well as the 'aim not to get lost', 'aim not to have a meltdown' etc etc. Good luck!

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

blimey, yes getting lost is hopefully not going to be a problem....wont be wearing glasses especially if raining, is it well sign posted / marked?

Also, what kit should i bring, i was thinking

wearing T shirt / shorts, but bring rain jacket, running cap and sunglasses

bringing my backpack with 2 x 500ml liquids and also SIS tablets in backpack for topping up at fuel stations

6 ish Lucozade gels

Is there anything else i need???

thanks

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Have fun guys. I've done the 50k the last 2 years and really enjoyed it.

Only doing the 10k on Sunday as have my "A" race next weekend.

It's a shame that 2 of my favourite races are always 1 week apart.

Dank, that kit should be fine. There are plenty of water stations en route.

It's usually well signposted and you get given a map on the morning of the race.

From memory the main navigational bit to watch out for is just after you cros the A338 where the 30k runners split off.

The marathon / 50k route does go down a narrow footpath but should be signed.
  • Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

Any tips Millsy??, my first Ultra image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    A couple of tips above^.

I still have last years map at home, I'll have a look this evening and put some tips down on here.

First tip, loads of people fly off at the start, don't go with them. You will see most of them after about 20 miles when they have run out of steam.
  • Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

Well I am planning to do 2/1 run walk from the start, so I know i won't be the quickest, but feel this will definitely get me over the finish line, once I have got this 50km under my belt I can then work out strategies for quicker times and greater distances  but going into the great unknown of Ultra, i'd rather be cautious....felt very strong on my half marathon last sunday, so know i have the fitness, need to make sure my mind is up to it! image Someone mentioned breaking it down into water stations, so every 5miles? and aim at each sector.... sounds good to me, i like breaking down distances like this, and the differing scenery and terrain all add to keep the mind occupied...i hope!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Breaking it up into sections is a great idea. For this race all the mile markers are set up for the Marathon eg. you come across "mile 2" after about 6 miles.

So I treat the race as a 5 mile warm up and then a Marathon.

If you are going to run-walk, do your walking up the hills. There are 4 main ones.

The first about 5 miles in, up to old sarum. The second will between mile marker 5 and 6. The 3rd around mile marker 11 and the 4th (a bit of a killer) just before the 18 mile marker.

Then you can break the last 8 miles down into Racecourse to Wilton, Wilton to Harnham (25 mile) and then through the city centre.

There is loads to look at and keep you occupied. Look out for the Camel about 2 miles in after you cross a small river.
  • Thanks a million for that info Millsy, exactly the kind of info that really helps- you've broken it down in a way that makes it seem less of an ordeal! as long as my tent doesn't blow away, should be fine. Ta! 

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the camping.
  • I booked in early at the hostel so should see you there. 

One good thing about this race is that the routes all join at points so your always running with someone, even if they're not in the same race. Last year I joined a group of people running the marathon for around 10 miles which was nice.

Only navigational point I went wrong on was after the race course. You go through a short section of woods and then take a narrow track to the right through the trees. Careful not to miss this as the main path is much wider and does look more inviting.

• Some helpful tips here, feeling a bit nervous today as this 50k is my first trip out over marathon distance, although I'm more concerned I'll get lost!

The weather looks interesting, but better than a heatwave image

Good luck everyone!

• whaddwe think- light trail shoes? Given all the recent rain and likely shower in the early morning 

• I'm taking a punt on sandals for the 50k

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

Hoping to not get lost too, I have road shoes only, so hoping these will do the job, good luck everyone, see you on the trail! image

• Thanks for the link.  It was a tough new route and got lost towards the end so ended up with nearly 22 miles.  On a plus note it stopped raining!

• Hey Cheshercat- what distance were you supposed to do?? I have to say the 50k was really well waymarked but I did hear some grumblings about signpostings for shorter distances..still, I thought weather was perfect & it was a really friendly atmosphere. Great race. Def one I'd do again.

• I ended up with a few other on 21.6 miles but we must have missed a marker.  It is a really good race and always enyoy running it.  The marshalling was brilliant and the cake towards the end was very welcome

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

agree with Chipster, 50km was very well marked, weather perfect, which was a surprise as torrential rain was forecast all day! Loved it, great race, and great first Ultra for me image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Dur to the nature of the race, i think some of the distances are approximate anyway.

I was only doing the 10k and the rain stopped about 15 mins before the start.

I enjoyed my race but did envy those of you doing the longer distances.