Breathing issues

Hi all, 

I'm a relatively new runner (few months) and I'm getting a lot of trouble with my breathing. After a mile my chest starts to feel really tight and compressed at the top making my breathing laboured. Does anyone know of any techniques or exercises I can use to help?

thanks

Comments

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Be sure you're not running too much of your training at a hard pace, otherwise you will have laboured breathing!

Might be worth checking out if you have asthma?

• make sure you are breathing with your diaphragm (eg makes your stomach move not your chest) and as mentioned dont run too fast to start.
    having said that it takes me 3 miles sometimes before my breathing catches up! it may be that your runs are not long enough yet for your breathing to settle and your 'second wind' to come in.

• When I started running I had all sorts of problems with my breathing (not only those associated with my horrible fitness levels!)

I read somewhere that exhaling on my left foot would prevent stich and I soon discovered that if I inhaled twice (one sharpy and then once of more lengh) I could then exhale on every second left foot.

I'm not suggesting you do any of this of course, just that it helped me and if you can find a pattern that suits you if will make the world of difference.

DP

• thanks for your advice everyone. my breathing has improved now ive slowed down and gone longer and steadier. ive also joined a club which should help too!