10 top marathons

I had a mad idea yesterday that I could do a marathon a year for the next 10 years (just turned 40, so 1 a year till I'm 50) not even done my first yet! So probably will decided it's a very bad idea after. 

But if you could only do 10 marathons which would you do? 

Comments

• Which is the mad bit? Don't lots of people run a marathon each spring and each autumn? I only run one a year because I'm lazy.

I like London, but would also quite like to do Boston, Paris, Berlin and Loch Ness.

• The mad bit is cos its me thinking it! I'm aware 1 marathon a year is nothing for a lot of people. 

Think Boston and Paris will be on most peoples list, they seem to be rated very highly. London has never really interested me but suppose just the size and sceptical of it (is it the biggest marathon in the world?) would make it a great experience.

Loch Ness is going to be my first this year, wanted my first to be something a bit special/ different, but think it's going to leave a lot for any other marathon to live up to. 

• DTS2DTS2 ✭✭✭

Snowdonia, Loch Ness, Tromso Midnight Sun..

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Disneyworld.

And the majors

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Done: London, Paris, Beachy Head
    Doing: Berlin

So a couple of Majors ticked off and would like to do the others. Order of interest maybe New York, Boston, Chicago, Tokyo.

And after Beachy Head and a few other off-road/scenic events, I can see me wanting to do more of the same, possibly once I've run out of "fast" marathon PB potential, but possibly before.  Top of the list at the moment is Mont Blanc, but I'm open to ideas.

• Done and would recommend should be on a top 10:

Berlin, London, Stockholm

Done and wouldn't suggest are a priority:

Dublin, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Hong Kong, Copenhagen, Dartmoor Vale

On my bucket list (but will probably never do):

New York, Tokyo, Boston, Fukuoka, Abingdon

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Definitely have a hankering for Boston, Chicago and New York, so I'd better start saving up for them!

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

London, New York,  Lifefitness 97T, and Wales Marathon were my favorites to date.

Would like to do Athens, Boston and Chicago one day.

I think a track marathon would suit you if you are a little cuckoo.

• Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

London is a great day out but not (IMO) a great race for many. But should be on your list.

New York is very similar in many ways to London but a bit more "serious".

Didnt really rate Berlin much - definitely not a patch on the above two.

Boston (if you can qualify ) is an experience and amazing reverance and history.

Rome is one of my favourite big city marathons - at least it goes through all the major sites.

In the UK Brighton is OK but would also look at some of the trail marathons for variety and teh different challenge. 

(Track marathons are incredibly social)

I bet you start planning on one a year and end up doing many more. So many good choices,

• sounds like a great idea and also a good way to see parts of the world!

Personally i have done Berlin (2013) and London (2014) myself, which I would wholeheartedly recommend -  

Berlin for the time and organisation, great course and atmosphere, also recommend having a watch at the rollerskate marathon the day before!  London for the sheer scale of it, probably not a PB event, even if the course is relatively flat - just one to enjoy in my opinion

I have also done Belfast 3 times now and wouldn't recommend it for your list...

• If I had the (free) money I'd probably try either the North Pole or Antarctic marathons.

Closer to home I'd also like a go at the Midnight Sun, Reykjavik and Boston but only if I can run the proper qualifying time. 

PhilPub, if you're looking for scenic off-road, there's always the Greensand mara, a bit like Beachy in terms of climbing. 

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Big city mara's have never appealed, but I could make an exception for Rome 'cause I like history.

of those that I've done I would highly recommend Snowdonia, Picnic, and Loch Ness.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    FerrousFerret wrote (see)

PhilPub, if you're looking for scenic off-road, there's always the Greensand mara, a bit like Beachy in terms of climbing. 

Hmmm...

imageimage

• Done: London, Paris, Berlin, New York, Seville, Brighton, Loch Ness, Barcelona, Beachy Head, Abingdon.  Some more than once.

All have their pros and cons.  London is on the never again list (but never say never again eh?) as is Brighton (too many out and backs).

I would love to have a go at either Greensands or Picnic, mostly because they are local and tough (I wouldn't make the cut off times at the mo).  And the rest of the majors... But top of the tree is the Two Oceans Marathon.  Heard so many fabulous things about it.image

• Should the Marathon-Athens marathon be on a bucket-list like this?

• everest marathon, ive been obsessed with climbing that mountain my whole life, the costs involved will make it impossible for me, but a run to base camp is a great way for me to step foot on it. 

• Done : Belfast, Dublin, Derry, Majorca , Great Welsh , Mourne Way, Causeway Coast and Donegal (next weekend)

Would like to do : London, Boston ,NY and I would love to do the marathon de sable or the Russian ice Marathon.

And purely for the cache of really cool medals I would like to do the Disney series image

• add one more to the list to do Tokyo, and new York.

plan is to do new York in 2015 and Tokyo in 2016.   

• I am doing my first marathon next spring, I chose Manchester, because it is supposed to be the flattest one in England.   I will soon find out if that is true hehe

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Marc - A run to Everest Base Camp would make your head explode! The marathon uses most of the route of the trek but you do the trek first to acclimatise, then start the race at Gorak Shep (about 5,000m I think) before coming down to the finish at 3,500m or so, although there is plenty of uphill along the way. I suppose the marathon has been on my bucket list, although I've done the trek so if I was gonna spend that sort of money I'd probably go somewhere new.
  • Lotus Flower wrote (see)

I am doing my first marathon next spring, I chose Manchester, because it is supposed to be the flattest one in England.   I will soon find out if that is true hehe

Surely you can only find out if it is true by doing all the other marathons billed as 'flat' for comparison?

• MEDOC!!!  image

did it last year - it should be on anyone's bucket list!  the most fun i have had over 26 miles ever.  And free wine throughout and at the end. 

• Not sure I could survive Medoc. 

Current possibles on my list to date are, although I think I might prefer swapping a few of the city ones for more scenic courses so far from a final list.

Berlin
    Paris
    Boston? not sure I'm fast enough (could be close when I'm 45, if I don't slow down too much in the next 5 years)
    Disneyworld
    New York
    Tokyo
    Big Sur
    Athens
    Mauritius
    London

• Loch Ness and The Great Wall marathons are on my bucket list.

Done Walt Disney World amazing experience, billed as the "Happiest Marathon on Earth" and I should think it would be hard to beat.

London....hmmm busy, loud, chaotic!

Next one to cross off is Reggae Marathon in Dec so looking forward to that.

Andyruns..Good luck with which ever ones you choose, they'll all leave you with memories 

• Andy, if you are a relatively new runner you are more likely to speed up than slow down over the next 5 years.

• literatin wrote (see)

It looks like a decent time to me, especially for a beginner. Also, 75% age grading is quite high, and 80% is considered very good indeed.

Philomena Cunk wrote (see)

But once it was because the bottles of water didn't turn up. Did people get their money back for that one? the Sheffireld Half I think.

literatin wrote (see)
    Lotus Flower wrote (see)

I am doing my first marathon next spring, I chose Manchester, because it is supposed to be the flattest one in England.   I will soon find out if that is true hehe

Surely you can only find out if it is true by doing all the other marathons billed as 'flat' for comparison?

imageimageimage

You mean I could end up doing more than one? image

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Tromso

Cape Wrath

Las Vegas

and the new Fort William marathon (replacing the now defunct Lochaber marathon)

• Lotus Flower wrote (see)

imageimageimage

You mean I could end up doing more than one? image

You could end up at looking to do 10 before you even start your first imageimageimage

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Of the ones I've done:

Best for scenery, wow factor, and great race vibe - Dingle, Co. Kerry

Best UK - Snowdonia.  Has all the above but in a colder, wetter, and bleaker sort of way.

• Loch Ness, Paris and the majors on my bucket list just now.

I've done Edinburgh, Athens, London, Milton Keynes, Rome and Barcelona.

The finish in the old stadium in Athens is amazing. The previous 26 miles not so much. Long up hill stretches, nothing to see and little support. The best merchandise shop I've seen at a marathon though lol 

Edinburgh is very disappointing as it's only in Edinburgh for 5 miles. I live in Edinburgh so its a convenient one to do, but could be so much better.

I'd certainly recommend Barcelona and Rome to anyone.