BHF 10K Victoria Park Run

Hi I would very much appreciate some information or if anyone could shed any light on the issue of the under distance of the 10 k route in the Victoria Park BHF run last Sunday 4 th August 2014. 

Joining their Facebook page I noticed a few runners reporting that the race was actually 9.5 or 9.68k in distance (Garmin Watched measured). Runners reported personal bests, myself  going under 40 minutes. 

It would be disapointing if this was the case. We train hard as runners and an  accurate measured run route should be a prerequisite if a company is staging a running event 

Best 

Kodie 

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    There is another thread somewhere saying the race is not licensed by UKA and the results will not be on Power of 10.

It is disappointing for those going for a PB.

Some of the charity organisers don't seem to realise that not every one is a fun runner.
  • Thanks Millsy, yes I believe they don't realise that

Cheers
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I do feel your pain. In 2010 I did a 36.50 at Cancer Research 10k in Southampton.

The trouble is, since then, I have taken 40 mins off my marathon time but never broken 37 mins for 10k.

I have a strong suspicion that course was short too.
  • Thanks for the emphatic ear. Really that is astonishing.

I've written an email to the event organiser stipulating my concern over the accuracy of times given. Lets hope she responds with some information.

I've still got two months to go sub 40 so all is not lost
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the email. Will be interesting to see what they have to say.
  • Thank you, will let you know
  • So Guys its Official 

Hello Kodie

Thank you for your time today and thank you for your interest in our events.

I have spoken to our event organiser and she feels the course may have measured a little under the 10km distance so I am afraid is wasn’t the exact distance. We are looking to amending the route slightly for 2015.

However I would say that 40 minutes is excellent going as you have been running seriously for about a year now and you will be sure to dip under that mark soon and get in to the 30’s in no time.

I hope this helps but if you do have any further questions, please do get in touch.

Kind Regards

Mike Tomkins

Supporter Care Assistant

BHF Customer Services Centre

British Heart Foundation  

Lyndon Place

2096 Coventry Road

Sheldon

Birmingham

B26 3YU

0300 330 3322   

• Hi Kodie, I am on that Victoria Park Run FB page and was also questioning as to the possible short distance along with the non-License UKA for this event.

Oh well, it looks like both yours and my own PB are defunct which is beyond frustrating.  I cannot understand why it was measured short, all it would take is a measuring wheel for one lap of 3.33k, multiply that by 3 and we have an accurate 10k, there was absolutely no need for a race like this to be measured short.  Very, very bad on the part of the event organisers.

They need to understand that no, not all runners are fun runners.  No, not all runners only run to raise money for charity and YES, accurately measured courses is the least the runner can expect, whether they be a fun-runner or club runner, first-timer or an athlete of national standard.

They want us to raise money for their charity, we only ask, in return, that the course is accurate and if that is too much to ask, then, sod it, we'll find more suitable races in future!

Kodie, I have my fingers crossed for you that you smash that 40 minute barrier within the next two or three months and when you are running that 10k, just think of how VP 10k was measured short, the frustration and annoyance can damn well push you to your PB - that is exactly what I intend to do anyway xxx

• SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭

I've only really been running for a couple of years and have also been burnt by races that do not meet their advertised distances.

I am taking the view now that if I am going to race then I will only do a UKA licensed event (or equivalent foreign organisation). It's fine to do them as training runs though.

If you go on runbritain.com you can find races that are UKA licensed.

• Sometimes even UKA races are measured wrong. Such as the Brighton Half from a few years ago. 

• SEdan wrote (see)

I've only really been running for a couple of years and have also been burnt by races that do not meet their advertised distances.

I am taking the view now that if I am going to race then I will only do a UKA licensed event (or equivalent foreign organisation). It's fine to do them as training runs though.

If you go on runbritain.com you can find races that are UKA licensed.

Hi SEdan, yes, that is exactly what I intend to do now in the future.  There has been, since the Victoria Park Run 10k two other races which I wouldn't have minded running in, I looked for both in the Runbritain site, neither of which was listed as Licensed, so I decided against both.  There are so many other races that are in those listings, that we will never be out of races to run, that's for sure.

• Lotus Flower thank you for the encouraging words and positive vibes. I will break 40 mins in the next two races legally!! Then I will break 39 to try and win the Eton Dorny Iron man 10 k end of September. That BHF has motivated me to break 39 this year . 

Yes Run Britain has accurate measuring of distance and is UKA accredited. 

Cheers Guys for the encouraging words. I will not be running BHF runs again 

• On the more general BHF note:

Yesterday I ran a surprising PB in Greenwich Park. It was a BHF 10K run: http://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/events/runs/event-information/greenwich-park-jog.aspx

My Garmin watch reported 9.6km distance, and I didn't aim and didn't feel as if it was a PB. 

Maybe it is a BHF's policy in order to add some sort of a feel good factor? image Anyway, BHF never again, especially after reading this thread and understanding that it happens now and then. I have nothing against this good foundation but sport is sport.

• SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭

Another one to look out for is local clubs organising races. They don't need to be big events to be accurately measured. They are normally cheap too and you're helping them build funds to support their own runners, so it's a win-win.

• PiersPiers ✭✭✭

It costs bugger all (typically £100-200) to have your "commercial" race licensed through England Athletics and get your course officially measured. It's only £27 for a club event. 

You also get the assistance and advice of an EA event adjudicator who will make sure you don't make all the usual numpty mistakes.

Amazing that the more "professional" the organisation the more "amateur" their ability.

If the event isn't EA/UKA/Run Britain licensed walk, neigh run, away!

• Piers wrote (see)

It costs bugger all (typically £100-200) to have your "commercial" race licensed through England Athletics and get your course officially measured. It's only £27 for a club event. 

You also get the assistance and advice of an EA event adjudicator who will make sure you don't make all the usual numpty mistakes.

Amazing that the more "professional" the organisation the more "amateur" their ability.

If the event isn't EA/UKA/Run Britain licensed walk, neigh run, away!

Piers, really??  Seriously, is that all that it costs??

That makes it really annoying now then, honestly, any excuse not to have it Licensed is a bit flimsy IMO.

BHF need to take a leaf out of BUPA's book, I love doing their events to bits.

Pah!  Makes me feel like throwing my cup against the wall now image