Where is your favourite place to run?

For me it is running in Windsor Great Park during the winter. At that time of the year it usually free of dog walkers, pedestrians, cyclist and cars. Infact sometimes I can do a 10 mile loop and not come across another person for the entire time. Bliss

Comments

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Good shout!  Some of my favourite runs have been when I've had the opportunity to run abroad in a complete change of scenery; the 13 mile road from Positano on the Amalfi coast, to Sorrento takes some beating.  image

But in terms of regular running routes, maybe Oxleas Wood.  Just over a mile from home and a classic reminder of how green London can be if you know where to go.  A beautiful running surface on the paths and a nice mix of flat or up and down to use for hilly fartleks or easy runs.  Ironically given some of the subject matter of the other thread you mention, you get a lot of dogs over there but I've always found them to be very friendly (or completely disinterested!)  image

http://e-shootershill.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Oxleas-054o.jpg

• I live close to Tooting Common but also within reach over a few other commons in South West London. Tooting Common has some wooded areas and is pretty pleasant, although after nearly 20 years in the area, it is very familiar to me now. I have been known to do a run that encompasses Tooting, Clapham and Wandsworth Commons and if I'm feeling particularly masochistic, Streatham Common is brutally hilly. I enjoyed Wimbledon Common the most, however, back when I used to work there and would pop out for a run at lunchtime. I'm back there for a half marathon in October (if my calf heals up in time). Looking forward to it.

• Regular runs take place around various North London parks including Hampstead Heath and Ally Pally (pic).  

/members/images/436170/Gallery/Unknown_0.jpeg

• Anywhere by the sea is always a treat.

• Good thread topic Kenbro.

I've not done much running there because I live at the other end of the country, but the place I've enjoyed running the most has been the Lake District. My godparents live in Borrowdale and I've been running on the roads and a little on the fells up there when I've visited. It's absolutely beautiful whatever the weather.

Gaz

• When down in London, always Hyde Park.

I do love to run around Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh and have done so many times..

• I've always enjoyed Richmond Park. Great at any time of the year but best in January and February on a crisp, frosty morning with the sun out - really special. It's also a great place to train, a nice mix of terrain with nothing extreme and always full of fellow runners which I find inspiring. Especially when you see an elite such as Jo Pavey.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Stevenage town  centre

http://www.ourstevenage.org.uk/images/uploaded/scaled/New_town1.jpg

• River Wey, North Downs, St Martha's, Leith Hill- I love it all and it's all in one place image

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

In Reading, where I live, there's a surprisingly good number of routes along the river and traffic-free. From Caversham bridge downstream along the Thames to Sonning bridge with detours round the nature reserve is good. From the same place upstream on either side of the river, as far as Whitchurch toll bridge and back is a fave.

When back home in Cornwall, the coastal path from Gwithian along the towans, across the Red River and on to Godrevy Lighthouse and towards Portreath - love it, even when it's blowing a hoolie and pissing down horizontally (as it often is).

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Faithsdaddy, snap. Plus Box Hill, Ranmore, Holmbury St Mary und so weiter

• I love Box Hill and Leith Hill having done a few Trionium events plus some training runs there. A "bit" on the tough side though, especially if you want a trip down the stairs to the stepping stones!!

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

I've done some Trionium events. They're good. Well organised but just small enough. Great giveaways.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Box Hill ... the Midsummer Munro ... *shudder*

• Yup - the Midsummer Munro is really tough but the Greensand Marathon finished me off! But for fun the Knacker Cracker is my favourite! Tough enough but recovery in a reasonable time.

• Any woodland run, like that photographed by phil

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Muttley - agree with the Thames east of central Reading. Part of it is on my daily running commute, and I'll quite happily extend it to take in more of the river now and then.

My personal favourite is Ashenbury Park on the eastern edge of Woodley in winter, because it turns into proper cross country terrain and is good fun to charge around. Not too many other people use it either.
  • ShivaShiva ✭✭✭

The run up to the top of Wiswell moor in East lancs.  The lung busting climbs are rewarded with stunning views of Pendle, Pen-Y-Ghent and Ingleborough, and absolutely no people.

• Hope Valley in the Peak District. Some great climbs up Mam Tor, Win Hill, Lose Hill and Ringing Roger. Bloomin hard work to get to the top but the views are amazing. When the weather is a bit cooler you can go for miles and not see another person, love it.

• plazzyplazzy ✭✭✭

The North Wirral coast, looking over Liverpool bay and the Liver building. No finer view in the world.

• I've got a lovely route down the River Don, to where it meets the Tyne at Jarrow Slake.
  • Benone strand up through Downhill Demesne and down to Castlerock , Fabulous run on the Northwest coast of Ireland image

• My favourite route was along the north Cornwall coastal path from Perranporth. I would love to try a few of the coastal marathons one day.  

However; there are also some very pleasant paths round the gentle undulating Warwickshire countryside.  Beautiful in the snow last year.  Unfortunately in a few years our local woods will be replaced with a high speed railway line.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/v/t34.0-12/963058_10151775334136852_1613316532_n.jpg?oh=b1d7d18cafb1377757759d32c11c96ff&oe=53E5094E&__gda__=1407513781_0f9cfb9a40a38738f2d382c7399bcd5f

• Another vote for the Peak District.  Great views from the top of Win Hill and a good hard workout to get there!

/members/images/835840/Gallery/win_hill.jpg

• My local forest, there are so many trails in there you could run all day without backtracking.

• Dartmoor, Exmoor and pretty much anywhere on the south west coast path.

• Because I live so close to it, the South Downs. Where I am there are fields and forests and woods. Lots of hills and amazing views.

• Pembrokeshire Coastal Path. So varied and you come across the odd ship wreck tooimage

• PiersPiers ✭✭✭

Hampshire Downs is where I mostly run and it's beautiful; not too hilly, not too flat, scenic with a great mix of terrain.

One of my other favourites is the North Antrim Coast, great place to run with fantastic scenery and the Portrush ParkRun on the beach is always an interesting experience.