Overdone it?

Comments

• It was logistically awkward as I had cycled there.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Surely that's the benefit of having a bike with a wicker basket on?! Well done on the win!
  • The wicker basket is quite large, but not large enough to contain this cake. A nice man from my club dropped it off in my front porch while I cycled the scenic route home having taken the wrong road out of Ceres.

Anyway, that was bloody hard work. Whoever described it as 'a road race for hill runners' was not making it up. Also after the race my wee was red and I was momentarily concerned, but then I remembered I'd had beetroot for lunch the last two days so it was okay.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

100% win record as a scot! I imagine all the local top females are busy stalking you to find out who the hell you are!

• Ha! Good shout, DT. New Lit on the block for the fast Scots lassies to worry about. Your session tonight looks good, much more consistent pacing. image

Congrats, Lit. Was it a bit of a race, or did you romp off with the cake?

Jo Pavey. image Just watched it now after pilates earlier. Gold at last, great scenes. image

• Romped off. But I did outsprint a child at the finish line because I'm mean. He was doing the relay.

• Congratulations Lit. That is certainly a cake fit for a champion.

Skinny - it appears that you may have an admirer.????

It's never very long until PP's red shorts becoming a topic of conversation again.

DT - what does that relate to in terms of HRmax?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Who is skinnys admirer?

Re paces, skinny...6.24 is pb pace.

Lou, I don't really have a clue as never done a maximal test. However my 5k normally comes out about 183 and 10k just below 180 so I guess 6.35 mm at around 167 suggests I should be able to push for a pb in Stratford. 

• I did a race report. I will post it later. But in the meantime, here is a picture of me outsprinting a small while while stopping my watch on the finish line like a pro.

/members/images/699204/Gallery/Ceres_finish_2.jpg

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Good photo. Looks like you were well clear of the rest of the women. The guy who finished second should really be a boxer, not a runner, with a name like that.

Skinny - I'll come back with more info on the study results later today but in response to your initial comment, I think this pace is important for to know, even if you don't do marathons. To put it in more context, the direct quote from the document is "A trained person can typically sustain LT pace for~3 hours, therefore this intensity relates most closely to the marathon".  For example, Daniels recommends running at marathon pace on some runs during the week, P&D has marathon paced  running throughout all the schedules. Furthermore, Moraghan has SG, and you and lit by association, doing marathon pace running (even though only 1 of 3 actually runs marathons) and during Bob's absence over the winter, he was doing a lot of 'high end aerobic' running which is probably quite close to this sort of pace.

As I say, I'll post some more details from my report a bit later today once I've read it again. One stat I can remember, prompted from what DT said, is that my max heart rate was 198.

• Lit - Easy, easy, easy! Rosie Doull and Jillian Gordon will be spitting into their porridge this morning. I also see that was the 6th fastest time by a Senior Female in the history of the event. Have your new clubmates tipped you off on who, if any, on the local scene might pose a more testing challenge? It's not all good news though, looks like you were beaten by a man with his arm in a sling?!

Tommy - Yes, over the winter I was doing at least 2 sessions per week, one of which was often XC racing, at what would have approximated to a notional MP. I did no running at a faster pace than that at all apart from short strides. I found within weeks that my easy pace shifted from just below 8:30/mile to just below 8:00/mile. I'm convinced the foundations of the progress I've made this summer were laid during that period. The terminology around LT can get a bit confusing, and as you've demonstrated, even contradictory at times, but my understanding is that, yes, lactate is produced at higher aerobic speeds, but the body is capable of using and clearing all that is produced (and the by products go with it like the hydrogen ions you mention) up to what you've described as the lactate turnpoint. At any pace greater than that the body still uses the lactate to produce energy, but is no longer capable of clearing it and the by products that are being produced from the system and that's the point that it starts pooling in the muscles, eventually forcing exercise to stop. Something like that anyway.

Another race day seems to have come around swiftly for me. Hoping to turn up tonight and see all of our other fast Vets there so I can run to feel rather than feeling obliged to rag myself trying to secure our team bronze!

• I see that you and the small child's relay team got the same time?

Looking at the results you are going to be winning a lot of prizes in the local races - 3 minutes over 8 miles is quite a big winning margin. 49:13 is also very fast if it was a nasty course!

You are looking good on that photo - nearly as good as I look on my avatarimage. Your time is even more amazing bearing in mind you had to carry a small dog round on your right shoulder!

Tommy - ah of course MP - quite embarrassing for me to have made that comment bearing in mind how much of my training I do run at MP!

Anyhow I'll probably be posting on a new thread now where my good looks are fully appreciatedimage

• On a more selfish subject coach if you're out there or anyone else really.

I ran 9 miles last week over 3 runs with one 5.5 miler. This followed my triathlon on Sunday.

This week my aim is to run 13 miles with two 3.5 milers and a 6 miler at weekend then to progress to four runs the following week totalling 16 miles with a long run of 7 miles.

This is much faster than +10% per week - is this okay on a return from injury or is it too fast. Its just that while its nice just running again if I stick to the 10% rule I'm not going to get up to 20 miles a week even until the end of September!

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Skinny - when I was receiving physio for my bad hip, my physio said that it was a bit of a mystery where the 10% rule came from and wasn't based on any scientific research. He said whilst it was generally a good rule to follow, people who are running lower mileage can probably make bigger increases in mileage. On returning from injury, mine was done on a time basis starting with 5 minutes, then 10, then adding 10 minutes every 4-5 days until I got up to an hour. then I was allowed 1 run of an hour per week and 2-3 runs of 20-30 minutes each. Once I'd completed this and not had any pain, I could return to full training.  

• Thanks Tommy

PS I will have to stick to this thread - the thread where my good looks were appreciated has, not surprisingly, been canned image image

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

right....what thread was this and what was the chat? I am unable to read it can somebody provide a summary?

Pleasant cycle in this morning. Hit my highest outright sprint of the summer at 45mph.

• Skinny - My tuppence worth. I'd have thought you could increase the mileage a bit quicker, but that 6 miles (of 13 in total) and 7 miles (of 16 in total) might be a bit of a weighty proportion of your weekly mileage in a single run. On the 2 or 3 returns to running I've made from lay offs, I've kept the mileage in any one run down a bit initially. If it was me, I might look to do something like 3, 4, 5 for a total of 12 this week, and if all's well with that go 3, 5, 4, 6 the following week for a total of 18.

• Ceres 8 Race Report

Considering the torrential rain and wind we’ve been having recently, conditions had turned pretty much ideal as I coasted down the hill on my bike on my way into Ceres, a picturesque village nestled in a valley in north-west Fife in the midst of a whole load of massive great f***-off hills. I met a club-mate, Jen, and as we warmed up together she pointed out where you go up the first giant hill, and talked about how she’d done hill-running as a child. She described the hills on the course and explained her strategy of taking the first – uphill – miles a bit easier, not forgetting the shorter, steeper hills on the undulating middle four miles.

I was getting the impression this was not going to be my fastest race.

The start was on the village green, on the grass, then you had to run up a grassy slope and charge across the main road to get onto the road leading up out of the village. I didn’t see any other women get ahead of me except a small girl doing the 4x2 relay, and I did my usual bonkers fast few hundred metres then reined myself in and let some of the blokes drift past. As we climbed up the first hill (mile 1 was the kind of hill that levels off from time to time and then climbs again) I was thinking I’d probably win,  but that this was the sort of race you have to just (sort of) enjoy. And it was such an incredibly beautiful place to run. The second mile was just uphill all the way (75 metres) and it took me over 7 minutes. However, then there was a massive downhill stretch at mile 3 so I got back on track and overtook a few of the men ahead. Lots more up and down, and my garmin was totally out of sync with the mile markers (autolap beeping well after each one, with the gap widening), possibly because of all the trees. But I decided to go with that because then I’d get the pleasant surprise of the finish line being nearer than it’s meant to be.

By mile 6 I was in 14th place and only just behind a small child named Craig, so I overtook him going up the last hill – I was glad I’d done this route as my LSR about 6 weeks ago because I knew that (a) that last hill was going to be there, and (b) when you got to what you thought was the top there was going to be another bit of hill just afterwards. And then it was all downhill into Ceres. My garmin thought the last mile was .84 of a mile because I was that far behind the mile markers by then, but for comparison with mile 2 (7:02) the pace for that last split was 5:35. Approaching the finish line across the village green, I could sense Small Child putting in a final kick so I sprinted just in case. They gave him the same time in the end but I was definitely first. As you can see from the photographic evidence.

Then we had tea and cake and more cake and I won a cake.

Overall, I am very pleased with how it went – the pace was good for that course whether it was really 8 miles or not (my garmin usually measures short though, e.g. at Reading and Newstead), and after a summer of 5k training the longer race felt like a good tempo effort. I was working reasonably hard but not killing myself for a hilly 8 mile time, and I genuinely did enjoy even the uphill bits because of the incredible views. For my next race, I will attempt to find a course that doesn’t take in landmarks that actually have ‘Hill’ in their name.

• Re. faster runners in the area, Bob et al, there are plenty, and I know who some of them are (mostly my own teammates) but they evidently weren't at this race.

And re. returning from injury, I think the gradualness of the build-up depends on how long you've had off and you will want to take it reasonably slowly. But when I had been out for three weeks with that sprained ankle, my physio made me do 20 mins powerwalk, then the same but with 10 mins jog, then 20 mins jog (can't remember exact details), and then as that was pain-free I was cleared to go back into reasonably gently 30-mile weeks. Obviously not suggesting you do that having been out for longer, but she certainly didn't make me build all the way back up from nothing.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Good session DT! What's the next race?

Lit, what are you going to do with the enormous cake? Invest for social capital at new workplace?

Skinny, I somehow missed that you raced a tri last weekend. Super.  You could try scoffing electrolytes over the day or two before the race rather than during it. Salty food or dioralyte or that 'Lo-Salt' stuff (mix of KCl and NaCl intended for those who are trying to cut down sodium intake)..

• I am going to eat it, marrows.

• (Not really, I am going to take it into work and become the Office Feeder.)

• /members/images/673230/Gallery/Capture_114.PNG

Updated for Lit winning a massive cake and having time to eat it before the second woman arrived at the finish line.

• Nice report, Lit - sounds great...apart from having to run up the hills obviously.

A quick stalk reveals that it would appear to be one Megan Crawford who will be the one to catch for you - of those regularly running the sort of events that you are likely to anyway.

• Update: the cake is delicious. My colleagues are struggling with the combination of cake and running.

• I hope you told them that by running 40 - 50 miles a week you can eat a diet of just fish suppers, cake and ice cream and still look good - Fife AC will never have had so many new applications.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Marrows- 14 september for startford 10k. I missed a pb there by 4 seconds last year and like to think i'm in better shape.

Bob- just had all the xc fixtures mailed to me. I see the midland counties is back to Notts this year. I have that one pencilled in as one of 5 i can make.

• I haven't had a fish supper for ages, actually. Well over two weeks.

• Thanks, DT - Wasn't aware of that, but now pencilled into the diary. image At Wollaton Park, where we will have had the final round of the North Mids XC a fortnight previously - though a different course probably. Very handy with my Mum now living a convenient warm up jog away from the venue.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

yes when they did Leamington last year they switched the course around from when they had run it in the birmingham league.